Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The model thread is not a nice place to visit when the charts are not showing any snow potential. I have also noticed that if it’s not going to snow in the SE then it’s not going to snow anywhere else as I hardly ever see any mention of Scotland or Wales. I am not anti English it’s nothing to do with that but when I goto the model thread I expect to see the UK model output discussion not the SE England discussion. Maybe it’s just me it feels like that when I go there but I am thinking of staying away from there as it annoys me :nonono::closedeyes:

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon Peeps! Cauld up here today, caulder over the next few days. Not expecting any snaw so I won't be disappointed. Not going into the Model Thread, 'cos I just feel like slapping some folks after a few minutes in there! I shall keep my sanity ( or what's left of it! ) and stay with the Regional thread. Put some more logs on the fire and sit with tea and biccies the rest of the afternoon. Good plan!

• Like 2

Totally agree, when they show snow depth charts from ECM they chop Scotland off almost as if they are unaware that we are part of the UK, and at the end of every winter we see the posts saying wow what a crap winter etc when infact its been brilliant for large parts of the UK just not London and the South of the M4 oh my god don't mention the M4 lol...lol

Posted

Have to agree with some of the posts   above its been a real winters day here, dark, dank ,misty and  calm. No need to look in the model thread for winter. The maximum today was 1.5c and ground frost lay all day with ice refreezing on any puddles that were driven through even in the middle of the day.  Everything is very slippy.

We even have frozen ice snow from last week in lots of sheltered areas especially in the woods so its easy to go for a snowy looking walk.  Wintering sheep from Skye are devouring the last fields of green grass and there is no fresh growth like this time last year so will have to start feeding them in about two weeks time if temperatures remain the same. Even the bulbs are behind last year.  Its still 1.5c too.

Just to add clouds both high and low  are now coming in from an easterly direction today.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Have to agree with some of the posts   above its been a real winters day here, dark, dank ,misty and  calm. No need to look in the model thread for winter. The maximum today was 1.5c and ground frost lay all day with ice refreezing on any puddles that were driven through even in the middle of the day.  Everything is very slippy.

We even have frozen ice snow from last week in lots of sheltered areas especially in the woods so its easy to go for a snowy looking walk.  Wintering sheep from Skye are devouring the last fields of green grass and there is no fresh growth like this time last year so will have to start feeding them in about two weeks time if temperatures remain the same. Even the bulbs are behind last year.  Its still 1.5c too.

Just to add clouds both high and low  are now coming in from an easterly direction today.

Yep we still some snow left from last week and some roads are very slippery and trying to get to my bins is an event in itself. max of 1c here today and it doesn't look like getting any warmer for a good while, this is the weather and winter I moved here for.. not to impressed with the heating cost but hey you cant have everything now can you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, More Snow said:

The 12z's are coming.... brace yourselves it could be a bumpy ride. I'm reaching for the Single Malt.:drunk-emoji:

You're adapting to local conditions pretty swiftly :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Latest model runs are out and it looks like winter is definitely over well after sat/sun /mon/ tue/severe frosts and probable ice days Wednesday possible  snow event then a cold polar maritime flow which is always a terrible direction for snow here in scotty land .

It's just not fair why do we never get an easterly  wah wah wah 

• Like 7

Posted

Good old-fashioned horrible winter day today.  Gloomy all day.  Cold and patchy fog this morning, then cold drizzle turning to cold rain, heavy at times and still some lingering fog.  Remnant snow on higher roads, the A82 is a mess (like plenty others - crap winter pothole repairs that last a few months then disintegrate when the temp drops again).

A deer ran into the driver's door this morning in the dark: we eyeballed each other for a split second then she veered away hopefully to safety.

I reckon my cats have as much of an idea about the weather in 5 days time as 95% of the people who post in the model thread.  'If it squeaks, it's mine!'

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Hope you don’t mind me having a read of your thread, I am from the SE thread (sorry) I think why people in the SE get so over the top is because we are jealous, very jealous. We never really get any good snow of any type. I’m right on the SE coast and I have to say that we haven’t really seen any other weather apart from rain and wind in weeks, even the sun has decided to do a runner. I’m glad that your at least getting a lovely winter if you could send a little bit of snow or sun :D our way that would be lovely, hope you don’t mind me having a peak at your thread. Take care 

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

Hope you don’t mind me having a read of your thread, I am from the SE thread (sorry) I think why people in the SE get so over the top is because we are jealous, very jealous. We never really get any good snow of any type. I’m right on the SE coast and I have to say that we haven’t really seen any other weather apart from rain and wind in weeks, even the sun has decided to do a runner. I’m glad that your at least getting a lovely winter if you could send a little bit of snow or sun :D our way that would be lovely, hope you don’t mind me having a peak at your thread. Take care 

My uncle on the Essex coast was boasting about sunning himself on his balcony just before Xmas so it can't be that bad :blink2:? Maybe it is.

Come and visit in winter :give_rose:. (It's crap in summer :whistling:) Or do like @More Snow did and shift the family up here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

You're adapting to local conditions pretty swiftly :good:

local distillery is 4 miles up the road and I have a bottle of the good stuff...:drunk-emoji:

DO NOT GO INTO THE MODEL THREAD!!!!!!!! its like a bunch of jaffa cakesed up friends fighting over the only good looking girl in the club.. my word its like serious rutting season. Steve Murr has left the building the ECM is the real Christmas Grinch. the GFS has been sworn in as the god almighty and don't mention the GEM or UKMO... fax charts coming up bet that will be fun. and I sat here watching my beloved West Ham play Rottenham Hotspuds. I need a drink...lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
29 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

My uncle on the Essex coast was boasting about sunning himself on his balcony just before Xmas so it can't be that bad :blink2:? Maybe it is.

Come and visit in winter :give_rose:. (It's crap in summer :whistling:) Or do like @More Snow did and shift the family up here!

Put it this way I’m closer to France then what I am to London :rofl:  it’s been pretty depressing weather. I might ask for your uncles address, maybe he’s in a lucky spot. We do get some incredible summers though so I suppose we win there but we are very snow starved.  I only really want snow  my kids have never seen it, we have been living in the Middle East, they have seen more sandstorms than snow  :crazy: i imagine you have some rough winters, ours are just the same and it’s been like it for a few years, rain and wind and that’s it I think that’s why everyone in the SE is going a little loopy:crazy:

Edited by DonnaThw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My god I'd give a lot to live in the middle east and see a sandstorm though... :)

Posted
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

DO NOT GO INTO THE MODEL THREAD!!!!!!!! its like a bunch of jaffa cakesed up friends fighting over the only good looking girl in the club.. my word its like serious rutting season. Steve Murr has left the building the ECM is the real Christmas Grinch. the GFS has been sworn in as the god almighty and don't mention the GEM or UKMO... fax charts coming up bet that will be fun. and I sat here watching my beloved West Ham play Rottenham Hotspuds. I need a drink...lol

Oh god no not one of he scientific analyst brothers' evil children. You're going on my blocked list!!

:rofl:

ah... foiled by the swear filter again :oops:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

What an horrible day this has been. Relentless rain which has now turned to relentless sleety pish! Awful! Roll on some weekend dry coldness!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, More Snow said:

tune in again..... the GFS has flipped cold chasing the beasterly..... i was literally laughing out loud reading it all 

away to actually look at some charts to see whats happening here this weekend

• Like 1

Posted

if u need a snowfix download mobdro from www.mobdro.com to your device and search for weather channel.... watching the stream of the east coast snow storm coverage

storm surge in boston has meant they could not launch their weather balloon.... someone tell the MT there is missing data ;)

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! It's a right dreich, cauld, murky day up here. Rumour has it that it will improve later. Cauld on the way, but I don't think it'll be so severe over this way, too far west! Another day for the first with tea, biccies and cats for company! Stay warm Peeps!

• Like 3

Posted

Weather is pish again this morning. Not looking for snow potential anymore! Dry and cold would be fantastic compared to this muck! 

• Like 3

Posted

Same report as MQ, we're on Skye and it's a classic, cold, misty, dreich Skye day. Prob head back tomo, some snow in the forecast for back home but some crisp sunshine for here, so might hang about for the blue skies over the Cuillin, canna beat it 

• Like 3

Posted

Cold and grey here too. Still not clear to me how cold Sunday will be despite forecasts suggesting an ice day. A north-easterly tends to bring enough sea moisture to keep temps up. I reckon @More Snow may be in luck again tomorrow, although no pasting.

A day of firewood processing today. A good way to warm up!

• Like 3

Posted

yr.no wants to give me snow wed and thu... im not sure though not really feeling the charts

colleague just back from Aberfeldy said rain turned to snow up there and lying 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There has been a fair bit of snow in that area this morning. My brother said that the road South to Crieff was very tricky this morning no nothing lying in Crieff. Even Ballinluig, usually the least snowy place in the area has a covering on the traffic cam.

• Like 3