Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

31 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Still cold and snowy/icy in currie.

temperature hasn't risen above zero since it briefly reached 1c on Boxing Day.

image.jpeg

Nice! I'm hoping there's at least some left in the garden for the kids when we get back!

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Don't quote me on it but I have a feeling that the MetO warning area for snow tomorrow will extend northwards soon. 

The GFS has consistently been modelling snow for a large part of Scotland, definitely more further north than the MetO warning area suggests. 

And now, a quick check of other locations on the MetO forecast (Livingston, coatbridge and Cumbernauld) all have a decent amount of snow forecast for tomorrow lasting a number of hours so I'm assuming the MetO fax has moved the precipitation further north, or has the precipitation more expansive than they first thought at the time of issuing the warning 

This is the latest prediction from the GFS 6z for tomorrow in terms of snow. 

IMG_7275.thumb.PNG.cf35ee1b2ee3181562917e3af1a145fa.PNG

IMG_7276.thumb.PNG.53d409167863cc78cd600cfc02189f76.PNG

IMG_7277.thumb.PNG.513ad1bdae66864ab67ab0d4cf550269.PNG

IMG_7278.thumb.PNG.ca1f3cde6d20071aea7a1a9bfdc81d3f.PNG

The updated fax chart has more of an organised front (for the Central belt anyway) whereas yesterday it had a split with the wrap around fronts over the warning area and a smaller front north of Glasgow. Like you, I'm expecting a warning upgrade soon, fingers crossed.

PPVI89.gif.3ea407743bb61305ab49152007f0f8d2.gif

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Nice! I'm hoping there's at least some left in the garden for the kids when we get back!

Should be, my kids have been sledging the last few days.

I've jinxed the temp though, now 0.3c !

Warnings have changed. Surprised about the amber for down there. Probably down to population and disruption.

Edit: Not sure if I dreamt that as they have changed back. Probably being updated.

Edited by Kayemill
2 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Warnings have changed. Surprised about the amber for down there. Probably down to population and disruption.

Edit: Not sure if I dreamt that as they have changed back. Probably being updated.

For some reason the app gave me a notification but images won't update. Updated on the website though. 

Edited by Ross B
11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

For some reason the app gave me a notification but images won't update. Updated on the website though. 

I can see it on my phone. There is an Amber for snow down in England which seems strange to me. Charts not really showing any snow down there?

To be honest I'm not expecting anything other than cold rain here. Maybe a bit on the hills. Same as monday. Those GFS charts seriously overcook the chances of snow in my experience. Further inland will probably do well. Killie has no chance!

Edit: Must still be updating as text says northern England. Area highlighted is around Bradford.

Edited by Kayemill
3 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

I can see it on my phone. There is an Amber for snow down in England which seems strange to me. Charts not really showing any snow down there?

To be honest I'm not expecting anything other than cold rain here. Maybe a bit on the hills. Same as monday. Those GFS charts seriously overcook the chances of snow in my experience. Further inland will probably do well. Killie has no chance!

Aye, the meto have finally learned to exclude killie from the snow warnings.Tomorrow's killies day for a blizzard then:rofl: (not that I live there anymore but I might be there for a time tomorrow) 

Screenshot_20171228-110902.png

Edited by Ross B

Happy days ?

I'm approx 200m asl, and couldn't be any more in the middle of that warning area if I tried.

we've had practically no melt at all today, so hoping for a wee 3-4 inch top up and levels in the garden should be getting on for about 8 inches all going well. Still easily 4 inches on the grass at the moment. 

Will post pictures tomorrow if it doesn't go belly up ?

IMG_7279.thumb.PNG.ca172a680412b2a6cb0f93cf8a7e699e.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
1 hour ago, edo said:

im quoting you @Ruzzi:D

i agree this has been there for a few days and seems to be upgrading as we get closer.... 

ive only looked at GFS though been scared to oprn another model... be worth having a look at the euro 4 and see how its looking there 

That's fine, you can quote me now that the updated warning is out ?? ⛄️❄️❄️

• Like 1

Re warnings - don’t expect any changes now until tommorow at 11am as this is the time they usually issue or update them. I’m  up in Aviemore for skiing this weekend. Unfortunately doesn’t look like it will make it that far north. Precip shown as far north as Cairngorms is light and patchy so no need for the warning to be extended much further north. Unfortunately the Euro4 is down so this will hamper the met offices capability to accurately predict the path but satellite images will soon place it accurately for them 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, edo said:

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/946348878131064832

hmmmm dont much like this video of anticipated precip path from the Met... keeps it all a bit too far south for my liking 

Can't say I'm unhappy with it. Obviously. :)

I've had naff all so far really here in Lauder, so this could be quite nice.

• Like 2

Who wants an orange warning, it'll only @101_North the whole thing. 

Any snow at all would be good tomorrow, it's about time. I am glad I am going for the boys today and not tomorrow after all, I don't fancy here to Kilmacolm and back tomorrow between 12pm and 6pm! 

• Like 2

Decent blanket of cover here, got about a 7cm top-up over night and showers have continued through the day so far, currently snowing heavily 

Met O has us going from -2c to -8c from 4pm to 5pm so a rapid temp drop coming up. Currently -1c

hope any snow starved members get their wishes granted tomo

• Like 6

Back home just now after visiting family.....slap bang in the middle of the amber warning area in northern England. Obviously I reassured them that as soon as I left they would likely see snow. :D

Cant see anything other than some lightish rain tomorrow here in Broughty Ferry. The wait continues. Fortunately I’m on holiday until the 8th so can get out and about snow-chasing since the snow won’t come to me!

• Like 3

the euro4 gubbed on other sites too 

GFS continues to say us further North get some action too.... pretty marginal in at times though for those nearer coasts as per 

Screenshot_20171228-155424.png

Edited by edo

More heavy snow showers here this evening and temp is dropping quickly. I'm not in line for anything tomorrow but will be keeping my eye on this thread to see how many more of you get lucky and hope many of you see plenty of the white stuff I know ive had more than my fair share so far so I do hope others get it this time round.

5 hours ago, Benvironment said:

Well spotted! The south gets the sun, the powder and is sheltered from the savage northerly wind.......and yet nobody else whatsoever went up there yesterday. But that's fine cos it means it's usually beautifully quiet ;-) I did a bit of investigating on Instagram on Tuesday night to see where had caught the most snow and Tinto looked a good bet. The snow is quite localised though as you drive around. Just north of Forth seemed to have caught the most, up by the smelly windfarm.

Yeah, it is a nice route with a bit more character than the usual plod up from Fallburn (although the fields at the bottom are usually muddy unless there’s a particularly cold or dry spell).  Believe it or not there was a small avalanche off the south side of Tinto in the 2009 cold spell, but not enough snow to worry about that at present!!

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, edo said:

the euro4 gubbed on other sites too 

GFS continues to say us further North get some action too.... pretty marginal in at times though for those nearer coasts as per 

Screenshot_20171228-155424.png

....as per what? As per 101? That green is dangerously close!!!

• Like 1