Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Hello friends in the "North"

Wondering if Storm Dylan will actually deepen further and become worse once it exits eastern Scotland? https://en.sat24.com/en

To my amateur eye there is a real chance of a sting-jet scenario occurring but possibly north sea / Forth .

Also note the pile of 'snaw way out west funneling in from Greenland.

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted

Remember the January 2012 storm well. The worst of it hit here at just after 8am I remember! Never seen so much roof damage before with easily over half my street suffering damage! I think it was attributed to a sting jet. Great article here:

httpsw.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/2012_janwind

Some serious winds in Edinburgh that morning with official records of 102mph on Blackboard Hill. My local station recorded 85mph at only 57asl. I reckon we had gusts here of easily over 90mph unofficially. Never heard a wind like it before or after!

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Clear skies just now at 1.5c with a ground frost and sparkling patches of old icy snow The moon has a big halo  round it so it looks as though its going to be wet, be it snow , sleet or rain in the next 24 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Am used to the mild breezes of Berkshire, and occasionally the gales of south coast. Up in Inveraray currently and it certainly not feeling out of the ordinary right now.. ha ha.. I quite fancy though going out for a nice walk. Clear the ? head.. 

Posted

The cat model says it is wet & windy here. Like our last cat he has taken to using his cat flap as a boxing speed ball! The wind seems to be picking up a bit in the last hour but wheelie bins haven't moved yet. My motorbike motion sensor hasn't gone off yet so nothing out of the ordinary here yet...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Wet and windy. Nothing out of the ordinary so far!

Spoke too soon! Fence panel down :angry:

(Admittedly it won't have taken much as it's been a bit neglected in the maintenance dept)

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

chemikal my hubby brings the bike into the spare room for the winter... it's tucked up warm and cosy. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Campers and a Happy Old Year to all! Not a breath of wind up here, light cloud, no rain! Going out for a stretch of the legs later and then plan to sit in front of the fire the rest of the day. Those who are getting a pounding from Dylan, take care out there! Hope you all have a peaceful and calm New Year!:drinks: :drunk: :drunk-emoji: 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Pretty breezy here... nothing too bad so far i'd guess around 55 mph top gusts.It's been a couple of years now since there was a proper storm, it always seems to get downgraded to a mediocre gale/several gale. :nonono:

Posted
18 minutes ago, mardatha said:

chemikal my hubby brings the bike into the spare room for the winter... it's tucked up warm and cosy. :rofl:

I’ve already got the push bike in the living room so already pushing it with a patient wife. The bike alarm has just gone off so it is getting windier. 

Posted

What kind of bike is it? We've currently got a Triumph Bonnie but he's had bikes all his life and keeps changing them. Last one was a 1200 Bandit and a GSX1400 before that. That one was fun getting into the house :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Not a chance of Himself getting to bring a bike into the house, that's what he built the garage for! Various clunky, oily bits have found there way inside, but not for long! ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

Spoke too soon! Fence panel down :angry:

(Admittedly it won't have taken much as it's been a bit neglected in the maintenance dept)

thats the weight of the snow on top of it earlier this week weakening it :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Pretty blowy at times in these parts.   Rain off at the moment but wind is increasing.   42.9mph.   Latest gust of 51.9mph.

110000.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest readings:

Glasgow Airport 40mph gusting 59mph

Edinburgh Airport 41mph gusting 57mph

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

What kind of bike is it? We've currently got a Triumph Bonnie but he's had bikes all his life and keeps changing them. Last one was a 1200 Bandit and a GSX1400 before that. That one was fun getting into the house :rofl:

It is a Yamaha XT660X. Photo is from a winter trip to the Campsie Fells. I’ve got about 25 feet of stairs from the pavement to my front door so I’m never going to get it into the house. On the plus side my favoured lamppost is at eye level when I sit on the couch.?

The wind is easing off now. 

7A4627DA-F83C-4E7E-8FED-967E00C301B3.jpeg

B1733566-98CC-455B-8251-3F17276B94F5.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Tay Bridge now closed to all traffic so as per my post last night it counts as a proper storm! Gusts on the bridge must have reached 80mph.

• Like 2

Posted

Went for a walk along the front here in Broughty Ferry. Pretty breezy. I’m sure the participants are glad that it’s a New Year Dook and not a Hogmanay Dook. :D

• Like 1

Posted

I have to add here that the bike is drained of petrol and in showroom nick, in case anybody wonders what kind of house this is :rofl:

It's very windy up here but lovely bright blue skies. Feels tropical after the last few days.

• Like 3

Posted
15 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Am I right in thinking that the storm that hit on 3rd January 2012 strengthened just hours before hitting the central belt causing damaging winds and the Met Office issuing a red warning?

I seem to remember a flash red warning for the central belt and experiencing some of the scariest winds I have ever witnessed. It was worse than the famously named storm Hurricane Bawbag a month earlier:rofl:

I wonder if Dylan has the potential to do the same :cc_confused:

my youngest was born during Bawbag so I missed it, but the 3rd shook the house almost like an earthquake, kids were proper scared. 

very breezy here now bit nothing to write home about, only snaw left is the remnants of pie snowman.

Posted

Was very blowy this morning but that cleared all the rain though has killed any snow that was left even the snow on mountains here gone other than a few patches but does feel cooler again 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Dylan the dud it was then (thankfully).   No wind what-so-ever here now. 

Highest gust was 51.9mph.

Any shower remnants being caught up in the Ochils and splitting north and south of Fife.

Quite a pleasant evening actually.

Off out to a party tonight, so god knows what state I'll be in tomorrow so...........HNY to all on here!:drunk-emoji:

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4