Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Yes as HC says its now mini lochs everywhere really making fields impassable. Even  putting cows out to neeps in one of our driest fields was a challange. Dull dreich and damp all day with a maximum temperature of 6c. Roll on a frosty spell!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Give it 24 hrs !

Hello stranger! I'm hoping it's going to be a flying visit north, but the forecast suggests flying may be optimistic. Breast stroke could be more useful, as well as fun :oops:

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hello stranger! I'm hoping it's going to be a flying visit north, but the forecast suggests flying may be optimistic. Breast stroke could be more useful, as well as fun :oops:

Okay 0 - 72 hrs... :)

ECU1-0.gif

ECU1-72.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow warning for Thursday 2 to 5cm for many parts with 10cm to 20cm for higher ground

• Central, Tayside & Fife
  • Grampian
  • Highlands & Eilean Siar
  • Strathclyde

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Snow is expected to develop across parts of Scotland early on Thursday. Snow is likely to become heavy and persistent for a time on Thursday morning before easing during the early afternoon. 2-5 cm of snow is likely for many parts with 10-20 cm possible in places, mainly over higher ground. There remains some uncertainty regarding where the heaviest snow will fall.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-11-23

Posted

The A9 from Dornoch north was a nightmare this morning, blocked culverts and lots of rain so surface water everywhere. Down the road again now and the rain has intensified round the inner firth so worse here too.  Probably the worst I've seen the roads here for 10 years. Portgower, Dunrobin especially bad, but plenty more places where the fields are draining straight onto the road and making temporary lochans. Might get worse in some places before it gets better.

Thank god for good tyres!

Posted

Yes as above mini rivers in every field.   "Bertha" was the last time I saw water flowing out of the field gates. At least we are up the hill a bit those below us must be really catching it. Very foggy too with no wind I hope the pneumonia vaccine works for the calves.Don"t begrudge the cost at all when the weather does this.Currently 5.5c

• Like 1

I see tonight's ECM has got folk in the model thread heading to the local supermarket to raid the bread and milk sections. you do have to have a giggle to yourself when you are in there. the mood is up and down quicker than a tarts knickers. meanwhile closer to home and Thursday looking good for some of us and if the ECM is near the money we could all be in on the action. come on the snaw....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

After a cold and wet day a sudden change this evening. Temps up 4C to 10.5C and a 180 degree switch in the wind direction fromNE to SW

Edited by Norrance

2 hours ago, Norrance said:

After a cold and wet day a sudden change this evening. Temps up 4C to 10.5C and a 180 degree switch in the wind direction fromNE to SW

A very wet day here today, the lane that goes from the house to the road was flooded and very difficult to use to meet the school bus. heres hoping it will be snow blocked very soon. not a cold day tho so much so that ive not bothered lighting the stove or the fire tonight but I do get the feeling that it may a long time before that happens again... the pub run has only heightened the mood in the model thread. there is going to be some major prams and toy action in there if this goes tits up...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Certainly looks like decent potential in the coming week, especially inland with a bit of height. Mountains should do well.

Chilly, snawy weather potentially sustained too; similar outlook on both the ECM and GFS a per ensembles. Hopefully a nice aperitif for winter.

GEFS Ensembles Chart

UK five days for Thursday next week to jinx things:

Thursday:

Dry and bright in the southeast once early rain clears. Elsewhere sunny spells and showers. Still windy and colder than Wednesday. Snow in northern Scotland settling widely, even in valleys.

Gey Dreich the morn. 

Spot on about the tyres @Hairy Celt. Glad I've the winters on just for all the surface water.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Dry and calm here today, a big improvement on yesterday. A lot of rain fell but since the weather station is on strike I can't even tell you how much we had! I think the new weather station has to be put up soon and the old one relegated to the bin! Bet my last pound we won't see snow here over the next few days!

Posted

Cold and grey here with light drizzle at present, expect that to change shortly.

Saw a few sleety drops on my way out at 4am on Monday morning, but since then it has been wet, wet, wet.

Posted
41 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Dry and calm here today, a big improvement on yesterday. 

Same here,mq. The pond in the garden has shrunk to a few puddles. I'm anticipating more rain later, though. With grey skies the low light level is depressing at this time of year. Apart from that, it is calm, temp around 6C and not feeling too cold -  the CH thermostat clicked off around 8am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Rain started again about an hour ago. The warm incursion only lasted for a couple of hours with temps up to 10.6C in the late evening. Now back at 6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

right who is going to analyse the upcoming weather for us.... SS? CMD? LS? Lorenzo? Ravelin? somebody? anybody? even HC :pardon:

delighted to see everything pointing towards it being colder but the upper air temps do lead me to think its going to require elevation to have any joy from the first cold shot.... i may have to drive up to NW perthshire to a bit of height to see some snow with the kids...im only doing it for the kids of course 

• Like 5

Posted

A bout of snow and some cold is pretty much the only thing that can salvage this week's weather after the merciless downpour over the last couple of days. Looking good for tomo morn

In times gone by I might have been back and forth checking the local MO forecast for what's coming but given the performance/accuracy this year has been so chronic I'd be as well asking the dog

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

A bout of snow and some cold is pretty much the only thing that can salvage this week's weather after the merciless downpour over the last couple of days. Looking good for tomo morn

In times gone by I might have been back and forth checking the local MO forecast for what's coming but given the performance/accuracy this year has been so chronic I'd be as well asking the dog

About sums it up! Substitute random animal or inanimate object for dog if appropriate.

4C and grey now and looks like the threat of further downpours has receded. Can't see sea level coasts getting lying snow in the next few days but other parts will.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
36 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

What is the point of leaf blowers?   :wallbash::wallbash:

:Di watched some council guys blowing around leaves last week and giggled to myself the exact same question.... ineffective and ineffecient to the extreme it seemed 

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Maybe... looks to me that by the time it's cold enough, the ppn has died out. Then there's the reverse on Saturday night - it warms up in time for a scattering of rain.  Leaf blower weather.

Posted
27 minutes ago, edo said:

:Di watched some council guys blowing around leaves last week and giggled to myself the exact same question.... ineffective and ineffecient to the extreme it seemed 

The guy who invented (and it wouldn't be a woman) the leaf blower would stand to get the opposite of the Nobel Prize for Usefulness. Just wtf is the fkn point?? C'mon, someone, tell me why it's a good idea to use fuel on blowing leaves around.

• Like 1