Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Evening all,

No frost here yet but we came close, air temperature down to 4c. Ended up being a very pleasant day too.

Im with HC in terms of GFS skepticism. So many times over the years it seems to offer up cold scenarios (particularly northerlies) only to back off/water down the synoptics when we get to 72 hours out. 

Anyway nice to see some regulars back out of summer hibernation! :D

Yeah, several times every winter the Gross Fibbing Scandal promises cold or snow. Nothing of note since 10/11. Shocking really.

A rubbery decision - going for Nokian WR D4 on the Yeti and keep the Weatherproofs on the Golf. (Pictures may follow...)  That'll jinx the winter for sure.

• Like 1

A fine cool start to the day at 5c.     Noticed on the radar that there were a few light snow showers over the Cairngorms at that time.

Now very sunny with a moderate NW wind and 7c   so feeling very seasonal

• Like 1

'Good morning, Mr Garnier. What's on the agenda this morning?'

'Sex toys, Sugar Tits, sex toys. A vital aspect of implementing the country's laws.  We should examine them in detail in Soho.'

'Erm.... Are you sure you're in the right job, Mr Garnier? You know I'm not a weather gurrl, right?'

Edited by Hairy Celt

Chilly start to the day with a max here (I assume) of 8.7'C - looks set to be a chilly-ish night with a frost possible.

been hovering around 5c and 6c since about 9am... been out for a drive this afternoon and at one point a very heavy shower was sleety in nature..

23 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@More Snow - what you burning today then?

stove.thumb.jpg.a9a194815deb4043db628559c428d8f2.jpg

Nothing as yet, had heating on for a bit this afternoon and told everybody to put their thick socks on and a jumper. might light up a bit later as temperature is dropping quickly.

32 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

@More Snow - what you burning today then?

stove.thumb.jpg.a9a194815deb4043db628559c428d8f2.jpg

That's a proper man fire wood stack, It's almost an art.. Just lit the open fire here as temps are dropping like a stone.

• Like 2

Here in Falkirk 

Just booked a hobbit Lodge at Glencoe for next Friday, even have a bit of the white stuff forecast. 

DSC_0809.JPG

Edited by snowidea

First wintry looking showers20171029_143309.thumb.jpg.59820d581e23e5cb308b1ffbdc754140.jpg  of the autumn coming from the north over the Firth this afternoon.

and a shower probably snow to the south over the Cairngorm summit.20171029_143321.thumb.jpg.cba62941d1238cc32ff1de31787f415c.jpg

Currently 5c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, snowidea said:

Here in Falkirk 

Just booked a hobbit Lodge at Glencoe for next Friday, even have a bit of the white stuff forecast. 

DSC_0809.JPG

i've not had the stove on yet this year. It has not been necessary.

Actually, I'm thinking about renting a cottage/ bungalow on the Ardnamurchan peninsula in order to escape the Xmas and NY hype.

• Like 2

On 21/08/2017 at 10:45, CatchMyDrift said:

Edited by Harve
  • Haha 1

^ I can't seem to get rid of a very old quote box above.

Finally we've reached some more seasonal temperatures. Although today wasn't a good day to forget to bring gloves. It made for a very cold cycle back home just now. 

40 minutes ago, ciel said:

i've not had the stove on yet this year. It has not been necessary.

Actually, I'm thinking about renting a cottage/ bungalow on the Ardnamurchan peninsula in order to escape the Xmas and NY hype.

You need to be a complete hermit for about 2 months to escape!  And you must be made of sterner stuff than the family HC if you've not had the fire on yet. Crikey, there'd be a mutiny here.

First frost of the autumn. Currently -1c after a low of -2c earlier. Beautiful morning!

Aye, another decent frost the morn; car needing a decent scrape.

Hopefully that will finally get the lawn to stop growing. It's just not right to be having to cut the grass at the end of October. :nonono:

Gave the winter alloys a wash and prep yesterday; ready to go on at short notice now. 

With the clocks going back, that's the end of my estivation. Summer felt like a bit of a non-event here in Comrie and am (ever) hopeful that the upcoming winter may produce something a bit more seasonal than the last few years. 

Off to a good start this morning with the first air frost of the season. Overnight low of -2.5C. Currently 4.7C, rather grey but very still. 

• Like 2

Well it did get a wee bit nippy last night, -0.3c or 3.8c depending on which weather station you believe! Still a bit cool, but no frost to be seen up here. Maybe other parts of Auld Scotia have had more luck!

It was 2C at 8 this morning but no frost. Temp rose steadily as I went down towards Spean Bridge. A rather muggy 9C in Drum by late afternoon. Some cold snap!

Very mild here at 16.3'C! 

Wonder if the old wives' tale warm Halloween cold winter has anything to it? Let's hope so! :cold:

• Like 4

Normal service resumed today with perssississtent rain till early afternoon. Yummy. Not really seeing anything wintry approaching either. No surprise there seeing as there's f all arctic sea ice left.