DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

I was out walking Clyde early this morning as work beckoned. It was cool and crisp at 5C, clear sky and almost no noise. This was perfect compensation for a 4am alarm call. The colours even well before sunrise were very pretty with Venus dazzling high above the horizon. And best of all, not one single insect to annoy me:

20170806_043514.thumb.jpg.b2edb72b4e2c31ff2d393a2ee1894b27.jpg20170806_041125.thumb.jpg.271c4226370e66b19d558fe98ae6dac7.jpg20170806_041807.thumb.jpg.a45ce7be00719a6fc9c0dd961cfbf3b7.jpg

• Like 7

Anyone want to pull me up on my misuse of 'dog days'? I just checked on a whim and found it really refers to the hottest days, the uncomfortable hot ones, which we just don't get here, ever!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought it meant the last days of summer :)

3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Anyone want to pull me up on my misuse of 'dog days'? I just checked on a whim and found it really refers to the hottest days, the uncomfortable hot ones, which we just don't get here, ever!

No to me its just a great description with leaves/grasses looking a tired green colour, humid sultry conditions and the first corn lice itching you to bits when you check the barley crop. Can"t wait for lower humidity breezy drying autumn days. Don"t despair about the heat Mrs Northernlights goes back to school next week and assures me the weather will be fantastic as she is stuck in a stuffy classroom. Just spent the morning worming calves and putting fly control on cows to make their lives more tolerable in this humid weather.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Is that what they're called, corn lice? horrible wee black things that get everywhere and itch like hell. Yukk.

7 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Is that what they're called, corn lice? horrible wee black things that get everywhere and itch like hell. Yukk.

Thunderflies we used to call them, when we lived darn sarf, ie somewhere hot enough for them to live.  They'd only appear on the hottest, most humid days.  Not had the pleasure for about 25 years now.

Weird about 'dog days' too. I agree with the 'crappy end of summer' thing, but looked it up and found what I said.

Not so warm here today, so barely warm enough in just a t-shirt outside despite being busy.  Busy lifting garlic - you'll be able to smell me down the telephone wire soon!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dog days of summer refers to the days in which Sirius, or the Dog star, is visible in the sky, and whilst it has been used to describe the hottest, most sultry days of the year, like Northernlights I think it also aptly describes the last, lingering days of summer regardless of how warm it is. Those days, particularly in early September, where you might enjoy the last of the long evenings but you're all too aware that cooler, darker, possibly even stormy conditions are round the corner.

Not sure we'll notice the difference this year though, other than the shorter evenings.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Thunderflies we used to call them, when we lived darn sarf, ie somewhere hot enough for them to live.  They'd only appear on the hottest, most humid days.  Not had the pleasure for about 25 years now.

Weird about 'dog days' too. I agree with the 'crappy end of summer' thing, but looked it up and found what I said.

Not so warm here today, so barely warm enough in just a t-shirt outside despite being busy.  Busy lifting garlic - you'll be able to smell me down the telephone wire soon!

If I stood at the side of my house for any length of time I'd be covered in thunderflies. 

At least the rain has stopped, it looks drier tomorrow which is a start although there's the usual chance of showers especially in the north. Nothing suggests this current pattern will change much soon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mardatha said:

Probably told this story before but one very dry hot August when newly married I was coming back from the barley fields just covered in corn lice/thunder bugs cursing and making the air as blue as I could when a voice from above (my wife speaking from an upstairs window of the farmhouse)  said "Now they are just God"s little creatures"   Currently light rain and 12c

• Like 2

God should keep them then, in heaven, in tanks!

8 hours ago, mardatha said:

God should keep them then, in heaven, in tanks!

Or just keep them for his own pleasure, along with midges, mosquitoes, clegs, ticks, head lice, fleas, bed bugs, and some wasps, jellyfish and politicians.

Not a bad day here, enough warmth to keep us happy. A puppy day?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today has been reasonably warm with some sharp showers and beautiful cloud formations:

20170807_171533.thumb.jpg.afa715fb3b769959e8820374924bb39c.jpg

More of the same tomorrow although the showers may be less widespread.

• Like 2

First nice afternoon and evening in EK for a long time. Some heavy showers this morning but was dry rest of the day and not had anything dry even for an afternoon for quite some time.. Clouds to my east this afternoon were Towering Cumulus very bright to look at and also looked like and Spring afternoon cloud formation.. Grass needs cut really so hope get a few dry days now.. Reminds me of the 2007 summer this year. Constantly went and below average temperature plus central heating been on a number of times this summer again just like 2007..

7 hours ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

First nice afternoon and evening in EK for a long time. Some heavy showers this morning but was dry rest of the day and not had anything dry even for an afternoon for quite some time.. Clouds to my east this afternoon were Towering Cumulus very bright to look at and also looked like and Spring afternoon cloud formation.. Grass needs cut really so hope get a few dry days now.. Reminds me of the 2007 summer this year. Constantly went and below average temperature plus central heating been on a number of times this summer again just like 2007..

If you don't get your grass cut today you'll get it cut tomorrow, assuming the Euro4 is correct. Showers for the north-west and south today but for the first time in a while tomorrow is forecast to be dry across most of Scotland. Glasgow may well be the warmest spot tomorrow with max temps of 20C+.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be right without a sunrise pic:

20170808_053228.thumb.jpg.bfac7795326ed672339df25e955567a7.jpg

That's going to be the last sunrise pic close to home until next year if I'm doing my usual 6am starts. I'll need to start stopping on the way to work. 

Nice day if a little cloudy. 

• Like 2

Looking like a rare rain free day. Lovely afternoon out there

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NUT said:

Looking like a rare rain free day. Lovely afternoon out there

Yeah has cleared up here nicely too. Time to sit out with a cold beer. **slap** ok, cup of tea then...

The temperature may have peaked at 17.9C but it has been gorgeous this afternoon with warm hazy sunshine and a proper summer feel. Not so gorgeous to my south with dark clouds over the border. I see Glasgow hit 20-21C today, more summer tomorrow for many of us but temps look a bit disappointing in some northern parts.

20170808_180335.thumb.jpg.9645d937818493fcb71b519e857f3ad5.jpg20170808_180732.thumb.jpg.2ef0a8e0a24dead7a6e1374ad5608e8a.jpg20170808_173511.thumb.jpg.cad56af7f3dbe8929d8fefd67825b0a2.jpg

• Like 2

Dull  cloudy start to the day at 9c.Last nights sunset was the first to look wintry with a northerly wind off the Firth and the tops of the cumulus clouds cominig in on that north wind coloured pink by the setting sun.

Lovely day in Aberdeen 22c gentle sw breeze and good spells of sunshine shame tomorrow looks very different a summer that never really got going for many, and no signs it will heading through August those C-pac trade winds have really strengthened again and left the mjo hitting a brick wall, a huge high pressure in western Canada/USA has not helped in keeping the jet on its southerly course 

Wall-to-wall sunshine today. Temp during the afternoon 20C, now 16C, with a persistent gusty breeze which took the edge off the warmth.

Cleared the disease ridden potato patch today, and lifted quite a usable, if small, crop. Whatever has affected the shaws has not damaged the tubers - such as there were.

Achy back now, so off for a soak in the tub and a glass of red.

• Like 1

• Autumn's here.
  • Not sure where the bullets came from though!
Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Haha 1

The sw wind bearing fruit again in Aberdeen a lovely 22c with mostly clear skies cooler air mass on the way for the weekend and nw winds but dry so not too bad.looks like an early autumn storm for later next week if models correct but probably being overcooked,well lets hopes so trees easily felled at this time of year in high winds..

4 minutes ago, drm said:

The sw wind bearing fruit again in Aberdeen a lovely 22c with mostly clear skies cooler air mass on the way for the weekend and nw winds but dry so not too bad.looks like an early autumn storm for later next week if models correct but probably being overcooked,well lets hopes so trees easily felled at this time of year in high winds..

There'd better not be a storm as I'm venturing out with a tent for the first time in far too long!