Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

That's funny NL.  neighbour was saying how few we've had here in the village this year, I think I've only seen 3 swallows. We don't get swifts here ever, I don't know why. And not one baby blackbird this year in my garden.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mardatha said:

That's funny NL.  neighbour was saying how few we've had here in the village this year, I think I've only seen 3 swallows. We don't get swifts here ever, I don't know why. And not one baby blackbird this year in my garden.

A few decades ago I registered the farm house swift colony as its old eaves are ideal for their nests. Their screaming round  and round high above the house in the evening is a real sign of high summer.They will be gone again in about a fortnight and for me summer is nearly over.at that point.Although insect numbers are still low at least this has been a warmer summer to allow these birds to feed  their young most days without sheltering from rain.

Even saw a pheasant with fully fledged young this morning.At least the badgers haven"t eaten all the eggs!!Phone line is sagging again this morning with about 40 swallows etc all sitting on it making a real dawn chorus.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

I had them round my last house and loved them, the speed and the noise! Miss them up here. They remind me of merlins, the way they fly and the speed they reach.

• Like 1

Rarely get swifts just here - there were a couple over the harbour early last month but I think they were just passing.  Also more swallows and house martins arrived in May than usual and the first tiddlers are nearly ready to fly.  Funnily enough we have had more bees, various flies (including some biters) and small beetles (which also bite) than usual, but hardly any butterflies this year apart from orange tips in May and now the damned cabbage whites. 

Blackbirds and thrushes hopping around and squawking indignantly earlier this morning while I stole their blackcurrants.

Here comes the rain now...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Constant heavy battering rain and wind here since 8 am HC.

Had family visiting the last four days. Real mix of weather. Saturday was awful, Sunday turned out not bad at all as we missed the rain to the south, Monday was glorious and watched dolphins from. Broughty Ferry beach and yesterday was cool and grey (in Edinburgh). Back in Dundee just now and the rain seems to be easing off.

Now a totally different day, weather wise. 20c, with plenty of blue sky and sunshine. Very breezy though, which has been a recurring theme this summer here.

Edited by Hawesy

2 hours of heavy rain, now bright and humid....

I forgot earlier about other butterflies seen just outside the village when sunny recently - graylings, ringlets, meadow browns, common blues, speckled woods, green-veined whites and small heaths.  Hardly any of the bigger ones like red admirals, etc. that we get in good numbers on garden buddleias though. The year's highlight so far was a dark green fritillary on Eigg.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Nice breeze with blue skies now a fine evening.

Snap :)

20170726_190448.thumb.jpg.a8b00248ab400b164c14a5566eea6a65.jpg20170726_190646.thumb.jpg.cf8d0ed4d2511648ab7bc5da145a67ba.jpg

• Like 6

HC my buddleia isn't even out yet.

It cleared at dusk and some very high cloud appeared, shifting and reforming very quickly, very high up:

cloud1.thumb.jpg.f0169448865df65ff6af29253fc1f954.jpgcloud2.thumb.jpg.05e181db0782dfc36d1d9585f973f0cb.jpg

Anyone care to classify?

2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

HC my buddleia isn't even out yet.

I think altitude may be your problem there... or did you prune it in the spring?

Hey these new faces are fun. Wonder if we could request a wider range of emotions?:crazy:

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 09:16, mardatha said:

A similar situation here,md. 

Although earlier in the year there were nesting birds in the garden - gathering food etc - the first swallow brood failed and generally there appears to be a dearth of both swallows and martins. I've only noticed a few juvenile sparrows around, not the usual selection of finches and thrushes.

Butterflies, bees, hoverflies also are scarce, locally, at least.

My main common purple-flowered buddleia bush is just starting to flower, but it was pruned very late (May). 

Anyway, today is cloudy for the most part, temp 16C currently, with a cool SW breeze.

I went on a wild goose chase (work) to the Inverurie/Monymusk area this morning and noticed the car indicated a temp of 19C during one of a few sunny intervals!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ciel said:

I went on a wild goose chase (work) to the Inverurie/Monymusk area this morning and noticed the car indicated a temp of 19C during one of a few sunny intervals!

Usually plenty of wild geese around Monymusk, just not the right time of year for it. :D

Been pretty decent day in Dyce from what I've seen of it through the window at work. Phoned the wife earlier and she was sat out in the garden so it must be warm in Kemnay for her to do that.

• Like 1

There are a few beefy showers around but they've missed here so far. The first pic was taken before leaving for work this morning and the rest were taken recently all from more or less the same vantage point on the early evening dog walk:

20170727_050309.thumb.jpg.28997da875e0525a922ad19bddcd3f32.jpg

20170727_174557.thumb.jpg.190ae9f291e2e0d090131594a01a0266.jpg20170727_174527.thumb.jpg.2ec8e1754fa411e623adac3717f936b2.jpg20170727_175157.thumb.jpg.a4b94374ebefc31802c66a98fa937e48.jpg20170727_175054.thumb.jpg.9ddf1bf533cf7a8585e3a8185d37295d.jpg20170727_174511.thumb.jpg.47767f93e64583dcd26df19ddbede395.jpg20170727_175133.thumb.jpg.30651b9dfff254ddeb960d6e20f6d1ff.jpg20170727_175223.thumb.jpg.a35227bdb89c7a8fd9ea23ccbaa32052.jpg20170727_174913.thumb.jpg.653440cef54b5c5d6a5e02224541e110.jpg

20170727_174905.jpg

• Like 3

Directly to the south/west/north of me skies don't look to bad to the east though they look pretty menacing!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NUT said:

Directly to the south/west/north of me skies don't look to bad to the east though they look pretty menacing!

The skies looked better than the shower's actually dropping (not much)

A mostly good day with sunny intervals and a fresh wind, got another small batch of hay baled . Went to a neighbours to bale some for them and got caught in a late afternoon shower. Only lasted ten minutes but enough to suspend  haymaking.

Getting a bit quiet around here...:drunk:

Mixed describes the weather now.  I guess we're relatively favoured in this sort of run, with upper teens and just the odd shower - oh hang on, I forgot it weed down the other day too. Wouldn't mind some warm weather before summer fks off over the horizon on its aging nag for the year.

• Like 2

The most notable feature of the weather today is a very gusty sou'westerly - as I recently discovered when attempting to fix a sheet to the washing line with a zillion pegs.

Apart from that, there have been extended sunny spells, but occasionally threatening rain. Temp a rather disappointing 17C. All in all not great.

• Like 1

Up in Edinburgh for the day - just to see pavements and people for a change - and the sun was hot but when the showers came they were heavy. Wee bit windy.

• Like 1

It's breezy with a few showers and plenty of sun. It suits me (this weather) as I hate the flies at this time of year. I must smell bad as they swarm round me while leaving others alone. The wind means they don't fly or don't smell you, never sure which one it is.

This is the Whiteadder at Abbey St Bathans taken today:

20170729_161659.thumb.jpg.6766ed0b97c85a19f3146d385a431aaf.jpg

• Like 4