Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

At least I can use the conservatory this morning!   Was out of bounds for the whole of the day yesterday.

2.6c here this morning and the sky starting to look as if we may get a few glimpses of the sun later.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Fine morning again at 2c with bright sunshine.Temperature rose above frezing overnight but ground being so cold it is covered in in what can best be descibed as a sort of hoar frost making it look as though we have had a light snowfall.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

2C and no cloud. My quick and lazy glance at the outlook suggests the cold will continue and probably get a bit livelier early next week, nicely coinciding with the less reliable charts. :rofl:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Frosty and sunny morning here with a lot of ice and frost about. Occasional light winds but largely settled and calm. 

Next week looks interesting! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

Ah, nothing beats the excitement of a SEly. Whether it’s the relentlessly gloomy skies, the nagging raw wind, the occasional outbreak of drizzle or a total lack of diurnal temperature range a SEly delivers every time on the east coast. That’s why I love them so much. :D

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
8 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Ah, nothing beats the excitement of a SEly. Whether it’s the relentlessly gloomy skies, the nagging raw wind, the occasional outbreak of drizzle or a total lack of diurnal temperature range a SEly delivers every time on the east coast. That’s why I love them so much. :D

http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGQL.html

Yes this cool South Easterly (as being discussed down South) has brought our warmest day of the year, albeit not that warm at 5.2C.

• Like 3

All rather boring over in the nut house and now all my snaw and ice has finally gone I cant even go in there and stir the pot. oh well I'm sure when the cold zonality kicks in and I get my snaw back I can pop back in and have some fun. meanwhile here its a tropical 4c here with the wind blowing hard and my windows are now covered in drizzle not snaw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I don't know what the weather is doing cos I'm sick of it and in a huff and it can go and boil it's head. I'm just ignoring it until it gives me some snaw. :girl_devil:

Posted
10 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I looked at the charts and had to slap myself to stay awake. Boring as sin for down here :rofl:

Since when has sin been boring? :diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This is a pretty good example of a north of west airflow bringing cold air here. Someone will be getting very pasted:

20180110_070543.thumb.png.19e2ed1ed7077dd26a83d693d2cdf618.png20180110_070717.thumb.png.2241ff837a3cca111a5bdbf39f5b429d.png

Beast from the east, watch and learn!

Yes, this type of set up delivered for Scotland big style for almost the whole of January 1984.  I had snow up to my hips

Take a look through the archives....https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/gfs-archives

for that particular month/year.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Snow depth charts look good. I know they are not reliable but shows that there is potential for some decent snowfall for Scotland! :)

BC30EBD2-1226-430F-8C45-4F0B34ECC9A6.thumb.png.3ad2c419ef355821b7eae6b7da83464f.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

So, this is the 'mild' blip for this week? 

It's not exactly toasty, is it?

1.4C and dreich about covers it this morning for here. 

Next week's charts are looking very tasty for some more proper winter. :cold::good:

• Like 3

Posted

Although its not frosty at 3c this morning its got the look and feel of east wind lower humidity air this morning with frontal cloud moving north over us and disintegrating. Any thawed ground is so much  dryer  now probably for the first time in about three months.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
3 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Snow depth charts look good. I know they are not reliable but shows that there is potential for some decent snowfall for Scotland! :)

BC30EBD2-1226-430F-8C45-4F0B34ECC9A6.thumb.png.3ad2c419ef355821b7eae6b7da83464f.png

I hope it doesn't turn out exactly like that as it would be a bit frustrating for the likes of myself, Northern Strath and HC! Westerlies / north westerlies normally deliver quite well here so I'm optimistic about next week. 

All depends on how that low progresses across the Atlantic but I'm very much liking the look of things at this point!

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 4

Posted

Decent looking programme on BBC1 tonight at 9pm, I think it's called 'the storm that saved the city' .... about a ferocious wind storm that struck the central belt in 1968. A quick google search shows that it was one of the most severe storms in recorded history for the U.K. 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 2

Posted

Up to 6C here today, now 3C. Some big swell on the east Caithness coast today, didn't see anyone surfing but if there was, they'd have had a good day, apart from the drizzle.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

Decent looking programme on BBC1 tonight at 9pm, I think it's called 'the storm that saved the city' .... about a ferocious wind storm that struck the central belt in 1968. A quick google search shows that it was one of the most severe storms in recorded history for the U.K. 

Yes will definitely be watching that. Before my time but I remember my Dad talking about it as he lived in Mount Florida in Glasgow at the time and that was one of the worst affected areas. I don’t think any storms since have come close to being as destructive for Glasgow.

Posted
51 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yes will definitely be watching that. Before my time but I remember my Dad talking about it as he lived in Mount Florida in Glasgow at the time and that was one of the worst affected areas. I don’t think any storms since have come close to being as destructive for Glasgow.

Yep before my time too, but my dad has told me all about it, he stayed in Allanton in North Lanarkshire at the time and told me about how every single fence in the street was levelled and garages literally blown down etc. Looks an interesting one! 

I have to say I have noticed how the single malt really does bring out the jaffa cakes taker in me... I'm sure I'm heading for a ban if I continue to take the jaffa cakes in the nut house thread...:drunk-emoji::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 hours ago, More Snow said:

I have to say I have noticed how the single malt really does bring out the jaffa cakes taker in me... I'm sure I'm heading for a ban if I continue to take the jaffa cakes in the nut house thread...:drunk-emoji::rofl:

Just wait until midweek, when it's cold but raining south of the M4. Any mention of the S-word then will set off a chain reaction that Kim Jong-un would be envious of and have Trump crashing Twitter. 

Personally I'm totally unexciting by the "potential" for next week. It'll no doubt bring some snow for many but for around here the direction is all wrong as the hills will soak up everything before it gets this far East. I hope to be proven wrong, but I'd want more of a Northerly or Easterly component. 

As for the current weather, 3C exactly and very little cloud around so looking better than yesterday's cool, cloudy and damp affair. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We have your yesterday's weather. Thank you so much. :girl_devil: Dull dark drizzle, 3C

Posted

Kinda dark here this morning,   2.3c/S.

Charts are interesting but I don't think I will be doing any panic buying just yet!

static_weathercams.php.jpg