Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

Still got 4 inches left here, been out measuring to be sure my eye wasn't a mile out but sure enough, bang on 4 inches left on most surfaces including the gardens, the roads and pavements are just a compact layer of snow and ice. Temp already down to -3c and dropping fast too.  Let the fun commence tomorrow.

IMG_7284.thumb.PNG.e3d0841fa1109b35cdd023ffe7a19d22.PNG

The washing lines are still sporting their frozen jackets aswell 

IMG_7286.thumb.PNG.2495dc65c353841388ee7ac56dd73bca.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tiff said:

Going away for New Year in the campervan- where would be a good bet to see snow, but not TOO far away from civilisation? Was thinking North Wales but open to suggestions..

We usually head off to the red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe for new years day (we avoid new years eve in case it's too noisy for the kids) but thinking of giving it a miss this year as our van's very basic (and bijou) so doesn't have any heating. Still there's always a campfire and all huddle together to keep warm. Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tiff said:

Going away for New Year in the campervan- where would be a good bet to see snow, but not TOO far away from civilisation? Was thinking North Wales but open to suggestions..

Why dont you have a look on the uk campsite forum

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

click on the map for the area you want to go to and then refine the search to suit your needs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, snowidea said:

We usually head off to the red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe for new years day (we avoid new years eve in case it's too noisy for the kids) but thinking of giving it a miss this year as our van's very basic (and bijou) so doesn't have any heating. Still there's always a campfire and all huddle together to keep warm. Enjoy your trip. 

No been to that site snowidea , sounds good.

Was meant to be going away in our van  but had to cancel as we have all had the flu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spindrift2017 said:

Yeah, it is a nice route with a bit more character than the usual plod up from Fallburn (although the fields at the bottom are usually muddy unless there’s a particularly cold or dry spell).  Believe it or not there was a small avalanche off the south side of Tinto in the 2009 cold spell, but not enough snow to worry about that at present!!

Funnily enough that was the year I tried to climb Tinto for the first time......but couldn't because there was a level foot of sinking snow in those fields at Wiston. Came back in the summer ;-) But yep you're right, those fields are a nightmare. Even yesterday it was a bit dicey in places as there was a frozen crust on the mud. Probably a bit better today though after last night. My car thermometer was reading -9C when I drove through Hyndford Bridge yesterday morning!

• Thanks 1

Fellow Scots have fun in your snow filled delight tomorrow again I’m writing from the snowless Ayr 😭 jaffa cakesing with rain as per just shortly I say it every year I’m moving up a hill 

• Like 4

lol @101_North yes indeed but im fast becoming as snowless as u in recent times

just been outside and the air now feels incredibly code with that real cold smell too it if that makes any sense. 

i think the borders going to get absolutely pasted tomorrow.... if half the family didnt have flu i would be off to peebles to visit the relatives 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, edo said:

.....with that real cold smell too it if that makes any sense. 

YES!!!!

:)

Gorgeous but rather cold day here in Skye. Any snow that fell yesterday has more or less vanished at home. A good 4 inches at the side of the road on the way into Portree. Temp currently -1.5c.  Will be spitting feathers tomorrow as we are , once again, not getting any snow here! Bummer! Enjoy it those of you who get it! :cold-emoji:

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, balmaha said:

No been to that site snowidea , sounds good.

Was meant to be going away in our van  but had to cancel as we have all had the flu.

The red squirrel is good fun, very basic (no hook up) a bit like wild camping as no set pitches etc but you can have campfires and in the summer you can swim in the river. These were taken last year New Years Day. 

FB_IMG_1514484538791.jpg

FB_IMG_1514484561905.jpg

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

YES!!!!

:)

phew thought i was going mad..... it smells so pure..... now if i can have that smell with some flakes floating about that would be great 

• Like 1

Really excited wi tomorrow's forecast -  just hope it is RIGHT!

Almost there now, this event for snow has been kicking around for past week now so it has been consistently modelled, what can go wrong now...

BBC and STV forecasts on TV just now didn't look as good as yesterday with majority of snow clearing by around 1. We will see.

Is the Euro4 and GFS best model to run with for meantime?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Thanks! We don't tend to do campsites, just wild camp.. It's only a small van (Vito) but it has an Eberspacher diesel heater so always toasty off grid. Always wanted to camp out in Glencoe, Got the maps out now and I'm leaning towards Snowdonia.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Almost there now, this event for snow has been kicking around for past week now so it has been consistently modelled, what can go wrong now...

BBC and STV forecasts on TV just now didn't look as good as yesterday with majority of snow clearing by around 1. We will see.

Is the Euro4 and GFS best model to run with for meantime?

Cheers.

euro 4 normally but its gubbed.... i had a look at the arpege which is not to bad on precip.... it has tomorrow as south scotland only..... far more widespread saturday but that would be rain for many.... it looks sadly that gfs out on its its own and many of us will miss out

having looked at the latest bbc forecast and it looks like the front comes thru very quickly, it shows the band coming into Ireland and Wales by around 1am.. how ever looking at the latest radar it would appear that it is already arriving. unless I'm missing something here.

2 hours ago, edo said:

phew thought i was going mad..... it smells so pure..... now if i can have that smell with some flakes floating about that would be great 

Every year I tell folk I can smell snow on the wind when we get those first gloriously fresh and chilly northerlies in September......to bemused expressions 😉

• Like 2

Around Biggar and West Linton had loads of snow yet over in Ayrshire nothing really .

-4c this morning with if its correct a reading of 20%RH banishing the mud so easier walking outside.  Might not need so much straw to keep cattle dry today. New Year seems to be a tipping point for dryer air to take hold, cattle too always thrive better after New Year due to the dryer air. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Norman Tolson said:

It maybe turn for us in Irvine keeping faith

What’s it like the now ? I’m in Ayr it’s no even raining 🤣