Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The 12z GFS is absolutely stunning! Cold and snowy all the  way through! Heights building in the artic later on bringing very cold air! 

I think we maybe in for something special over the next few weeks!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Watching nex week's potential developments with interest.

In my in-depth model world, the iphone weather app suggests four days featuring snow from Tuesday to Friday, then maxima of about 1c for the weekend after.

On yr.no long range for Glasgow it shows cold rain during the week, but then right into the freezer next weekend, sub-zero maxima.

It looks like some nowcasting required but certainly in this area we will be unlucky not to see something interesting at some stage. 

Would be good to see some insights on this thread too, as the model thread folks the other night basically acknowledged that they don't pay attention to Scotland. Difficult to get any sense of what will happen here if you're being blanked.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If this doesn't bring a rampage of snow showers across the west then I don't know what will. -42C at 500hpa?? Dew points way below zero, stiff breeze. I haven't seen charts this good for snow to low levels for a long time. This is the real deal!! What's a margin?? If this doesn't bring settled snow to the centre of Glasgow AND Kilmarnock then nothing ever will.

Yes I will be very disappointed if there is no snow lying here

4 minutes ago, NUT said:

Guess it's going to snow then.,...................? Not been around much I know for obvious reasons. Going to try be a bit more active though

Good to hear from you, hope you are keeping well!

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If this doesn't bring a rampage of snow showers across the west then I don't know what will. -42C at 500hpa?? Dew points way below zero, stiff breeze. I haven't seen charts this good for snow to low levels for a long time. This is the real deal!! What's a margin?? If this doesn't bring settled snow to the centre of Glasgow AND Kilmarnock then nothing ever will.

20180113_180830.thumb.png.532fb249b1978a7a63baad28eae0792b.png20180113_180727.thumb.png.832f1f1a25080cccd09a0b81b7e7b7a2.png20180113_180700.thumb.png.d913aff611b27f1b09d06e27978ae375.png20180113_180800.thumb.png.7de7d7805c68e1cad20f610e29428fa7.png

The only last ingredient needed is my absence from th area,  check :closedeyes: Easily 30cm + for the member who lives in the Ayrshire hills who I have forgotten his username, apologies! 

Only worry I have is that the mixing of warm air from the sea due to the strong winds won't be picked up by the models for those at lower elevations, otherwise best westerly for a long time!  

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Ross B said:

The only last ingredient needed is my absence from th area,  check :closedeyes: Easily 30cm + for the member who lives in the Ayrshire hills who I have forgotten his username, apologies! 

Only worry I have is that the mixing of warm air from the sea due to the strong winds won't be picked up by the models for those at lower elevations, otherwise best westerly for a long time!  

Ah yes, Its @igloo  Areas to the north of Glasgow looking good for snow too of course. 

• Like 1

Posted

You pretty much need to watch yer tv with f'kn binoculars to properly get a grasp of the weather for Scotland on the bbc's forecasts but that was a thoroughly uninspiring look at the week ahead I just watched, whatever comes our way, snowfest or not, it can't be any worse than the cold, grey snore-fest today provided I guess, roll on those cold westerly winds!

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

i think it is just classic uncertainty over how bad it will be and where.... it is going to feel bitter and it is going to be very snowy in many places and as recent years that may just all be dependent on altitude..... if altitude not required there will be lots of upgraded weather warnings maybe even tomorrow if some consistency in output tomorrow morning

fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Posted

my house in the wee marginal zig zag line..... not that i take these charts seriously bit in saying that this is only 3 days away ?

Screenshot_20180113-220744.png

• Like 2

Posted

The 18z is looking good with plenty of snow showers pushing inland across many parts of Scotland, hopefully falling as snow at all levels!

prectypeuktopo.thumb.jpg.c56ffa04647e80cab12d1b60aa47c01f.jpg2.thumb.jpg.8d809461c547eb8fd9729fa2ace36213.jpg3.thumb.jpg.dc389f7e10332c1aa336c6b2c7292704.jpg4.thumb.jpg.bb1efb860b8d6c04acc860ad4ef2ced2.jpg5.thumb.jpg.7d352b3caa44d374cd657f233ff717ea.jpg6.thumb.jpg.832ffea75be8b9f869ed9fee2820c1bd.jpg7.thumb.jpg.d697f5bae0e2b3573370c4a431ad29f7.jpg8.thumb.jpg.e035e6e176d3a8b74e4a499a06473f9b.jpg9.thumb.jpg.54d82a7be9df0244d9d9ebe48622f93b.jpg10.thumb.jpg.e063c6923fb3a4dc6ebc0df7cfbf96a5.jpg

The low for Wednesday night into Thursday has pushed further north on the 18z bringing heavy snow for the central belt!

11.thumb.jpg.19110860030f94da25dd5aea053a54a0.jpg12.thumb.jpg.0dc58385a0d21faa5b6a136d868f33ce.jpg13.thumb.jpg.8cfbe6d6a581f010536f283c0ab6db6d.jpg14.thumb.jpg.40b5e69cca43d0e114d26435fca238fb.jpg

Interesting period of weather coming up, all can change of course so I am trying not to get to exited...yet!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

You pretty much need to watch yer tv with f'kn binoculars to properly get a grasp of the weather for Scotland on the bbc's forecasts but that was a thoroughly uninspiring look at the week ahead I just watched, whatever comes our way, snowfest or not, it can't be any worse than the cold, grey snore-fest today provided I guess, roll on those cold westerly winds!

Pretty like much of the programmes on bbc these days. Does anyone actually watch the crap they broadcast as drama? (Sorry...)

Posted

indeed CMD.... even @101_North

Screenshot_20180113-223852.png

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Pretty like much of the programmes on bbc these days. Does anyone actually watch the crap they broadcast as drama? (Sorry...)

i watch sport on the BBC and anything by David Attenborough and that is it.....oh and silent witness but thats about it 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, edo said:

indeed CMD.... even @101_North

Screenshot_20180113-223852.png

I posted that chart in the model thread but nobody seemed interested :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

2.5 million people will be struggling to get moving on Thursday...if:

Screenshot_20180113-221121.thumb.jpg.9e9e9a7477ce48f70e566b185cb9e719.jpg

Keeping the interest going, starting to get very intrigued now. 

I know it's bad cause it changes every couple of hours but I still always check the MetO site to see what it says and I now have continuous snow and snow showers from 6pm on Monday evening right through to 6am on Thursday morning .... couple with gusts of nearly 40mph!! Where's ma shovel? ??

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Keeping the interest going, starting to get very intrigued now. 

I know it's bad cause it changes every couple of hours but I still always check the MetO site to see what it says and I now have continuous snow and snow showers from 6pm on Monday evening right through to 6am on Thursday morning .... couple with gusts of nearly 40mph!! Where's ma shovel? ??

I hope you bought a Land rover of some description !? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The iphone app model now plumps for rain for Glasgow most of next week. A very typically Glasgow outcome :closedeyes:

I hope some of those charts posted here are on the money,

Looking at all these snaw charts they appear to be faulty as no snaw for my little patch... I'm not happy I tell ya that, might have to move again!!:rofl:

Edited by Guest

Posted
1 hour ago, Stormeh said:

I posted that chart in the model thread but nobody seemed interested :closedeyes:

i know.....its like they just gloss over it as if no one affected.... i seen a post from someone saying a non event for most that was giving snow to probably around 20 million people.... 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Looks like that low pressure on Thursday will track further north and deepen, I do hope all you southern uplander peeps have a very large snow shovel to hand...

Image result for jcb and snow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
47 minutes ago, snowbunting said:

Looks like that low pressure on Thursday will track further north and deepen, I do hope all you southern uplander peeps have a very large snow shovel to hand...

Image result for jcb and snow

Us coasties have shovels too.  5a5aa81a57bb1_diggingsnow.thumb.jpg.9d82007a6b581922bf3efc69eef6cec4.jpg Although not been in serious use for a few years.

Posted
2 hours ago, Ross B said:

I hope you bought a Land rover of some description !? :D

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Nah... found his shovel though!

jimny.jpg

Nah unfortunately not, I almost got a 4x4 and then somehow made a last minute decision to get a Kia Proceed GT.... which if I'm honest will likely be just as bad as the ST in the snow. On the plus, I now have a warranty for the next 3 years which had ran out on the ST. It was just too good a deal to refuse and if anyone wants a Kia then PM me and I'll guide you to the best wee salesman I've ever dealt with. Couldn't be more down to earth, done everything humanly possible for me and got me such a cracking deal. Absolutely over the moon with the whole thing! 

Anyway, I may aswell dig out the wellies because I doubt the car will be leaving the driveway ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Anyone know what the forecast for Scotland is for next week then?    They are all too busy greetin' in their cornflakes over what appears to be the crash and burn of their snow spell in all of the overnight models?

I can only find one reference to us amongst the tears and that still seems to be on track?:search:

• Like 7