1 minute ago, More Snow said:

snaw!!!!!

More predictable than a man city win:D

Lucky bug ger 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

snaw!!!!!

Was expecting that, you ole bag of rusty nails!  2-1. YNWA.

Had plenty of sleet and hail here this evening, hopefully turning fluffier overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Oh dear @More Snow you have gone and had a nibble in the MT :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
11 minutes ago, More Snow said:

its got them going that's for sure....

Steve in Sussex :D 

U said it well, the imbyism is quite ridiculous

Posted

You can tell it's a poor NE'erly when there's 7hrs between posts :D

Still around 3c here but brightening up at last. Looking forward to some dry weather as the last few days have been horrific!

• Like 2

Posted

On the farm its been a slog since the middle of last July constantly looking for more  than  just  one dry day and with the last few days beeing so damp and humid  its not been very uplifting . The lack of sunshine has not helped either. Its not been healthy for man nor beast never heard of so many folk with infections. Mrs Northernlights has been without a voice for nearly three weeks!!

On New Years  eve an old farming neighbour and I both wished each other a dry sunny  year for 2018 lasting at least to October.

On the weather front its dull with an east wind and 1.5c. No sign of the snow showers predicted on the local forecast for today so will the air frost turn up tonight.

Haven"t even got the Christmas lights left to cheer up these dark days so yes its very hard to find the positives.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hmm this isn't very exciting... 3C, grey and bone dry with a nasty little north-easterly sneaking round the corner and rattling the cat flap.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
20 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think this may count very slightly towards a "winter's over" post but am I the only person who is getting a bit bored of winter? Charts promise the world then we get four snowflakes and a hard frost. I know I'm getting bored of it when my wee brain is starting to think about the garden needing stuff done and looking forward to the cycling starting again (strictly watching it on TV, I don't even own a bike).

Absolutely spot on - only folk who get a Winter in Scotland nowadays are people who live in the Highlands.

All I seem to get in the Central Lowlands is a few hours of snowfall twice a year which stays on the ground for 24 hours!

It has gotten so bad that every year I need to climb mountains to see any snowfall on the ground! 

Due to my job and becoming a dad this March I can’t even move away!

I would sell my granny to live in the Highlands! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Due to my job and becoming a dad this March I can’t even move away!

I would sell my granny to live in the Highlands! 

I feel the same. Would love to live up North but having two primary age kids and me working in Edinburgh and Mr Snowidea in Glasgow mean we're stuck in the middle. 

It's not even just the snow for me. All the towns and villages up north really strongly remind me of Cornwall where I grew up. Not for the scenery (no mountains in Cornwall) but just for the feel of the places and the smell of the air. We get up north whenever we can in our tiny van (thinking of heading up to Glencoe tonight funnily enough) but would love to live up there full time. 

Perhaps we should all club together and build a small shack (Google "tiny house" my husband is obsessed with them) somewhere near Moresnow lol. Or perhaps he could do weather related B&B trips just for forum members. 

Could and cloudy with bits of blue sky appearing here in Falkirk. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Mrs Northernlights has been without a voice for nearly three weeks!!

At least you can see the up side of this disappointing weather. Can we all send our other halves to commiserate / catch what your wife has? 

Well I've had my snow fix courtesy of Austria, there was plenty there on the slopes but very little down in the valleys. If it's any consolidation the drive back up through Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium was rather wet and blustery at times. Had a day in Bruges yesterday which also was damp, cold and turned wet as we were readying to head to the ferry. 

Currently driving up past York on A1 (well the wife is) in bright sunshine and around 5C.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think this may count very slightly towards a "winter's over" post but am I the only person who is getting a bit bored of winter? Charts promise the world then we get four snowflakes and a hard frost. I know I'm getting bored of it when my wee brain is starting to think about the garden needing stuff done and looking forward to the cycling starting again (strictly watching it on TV, I don't even own a bike).

careful-now.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

Slowly improving today and with some bits of  clear sky the ground frost has been spreading. Quite strange frost this morning with  random patches everywhere complete with a covering of last nights hail. Currently 1.5c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A bonnie and bright day here today. Brisk at the moment: 1.9C/1C. Bit nippy with the windchill.

Had a further cauld rain to snaw event overnight into Friday. Only a covering though and melted away through the day, helped on by further cauld rain.

Agree with some of the posts above re this winter so far: showing potential but not really delivering much for a lot of folk. We've done okayish here so far, but such snaw as there has been has been pretty transient stuff. 

Still, well over half the winter to go (plus March) so it could yet improve. Keep the faith, fellow kilters. :cold:

Will take the dry and bright cauld that's on offer for the next few days gladly though. A wee bit of wintry sunshine aids the post-festive cheeriness levels. 

Almost time to start the haggis and drams, too. :good:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Haven"t even got the Christmas lights left to cheer up these dark days so yes its very hard to find the positives.

Leave 'em up, I say! I keep mine up till the end of February, celebrating every last ounce of winter I can ;-) The tree is something of a fire hazard by that point but it's nice to have the colour in the house till the days brighten up :)

On another note......gorgeous morning on Birnam Hill!

P1150675.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
7 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Quite enjoyed it in a funny way.  Apart from a relatively few genuinely mild days and nights it's always felt like Winter here. That makes a change from so many winters where folk post about daffodils sprouting in January and it certainly doesn't look like that's on the cards either. But yeah, I would like it to throw up a memorable cold /snow event, I think the chance for that is still there for us over the next couple of months.

Edited by Paul Martin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

I had to take a peak in the model forum again and everyone is happy as Larry as the ECM is showing the beast fae the East again! :rofl:

The models are changing with each run they are so unreliable.

• Like 1

Posted

Skye was great as always, managed to look beautiful during mostly cold, dreary winter conditions, was turning nicer as we left this morning. For what it's worth, an arachnophobic passenger opening a box of eggs fresh from their granny's croft that contains a wee spider hitchhiker makes for a pretty interesting piece of in-car entertainment. Pretty skies are even prettier after your life has flashed before you 

IMG_6335.thumb.JPG.7b189dede01618db5216b137e057774b.JPG

IMG_6337.thumb.JPG.ad8625f14a8f7e42d525cfc7064ec788.JPG

IMG_6344.thumb.JPG.34712fb2a7b7739e5b8d9fc7e45eea5b.JPG

IMG_6354.thumb.JPG.4a34c5970500ff00ab84d05be0dc0079.JPG

Enjoyed @More Snow dipping in to the model thread last night?, though I also enjoy the sense of disconnect that their pantomime provides, 500 miles north its been a snowy scene most of the time since November. Took a pic today of the hellish pond thing we inherited with the house, think this is its 5th consecutive week frozen over at least

IMG_6368.thumb.PNG.904a82654b110d4086fbe476b9367ace.PNG

For anyone planning the Highlands one day, you'd love it, it's utterly beautiful, you don't necessarily need to go up a hill either, maybe surround yourself with them.. passing places like Glenmoriston today with Invermoriston (50m Asl) Dalchreichart (120m) they've had snow cover/cold there for weeks too. I realise we have snow starved Scottish members too so I'm going to shut the hell up now, sorry for the super long post and enjoy your evening Kilties ?

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Skye was great as always, managed to look beautiful during mostly cold, dreary winter conditions, was turning nicer as we left this morning. For what it's worth, an arachnophobic passenger opening a box of eggs fresh from their granny's croft that contains a wee spider hitchhiker makes for a pretty interesting piece of in-car entertainment. Pretty skies are even prettier after your life has flashed before you 

IMG_6335.thumb.JPG.7b189dede01618db5216b137e057774b.JPG

IMG_6337.thumb.JPG.ad8625f14a8f7e42d525cfc7064ec788.JPG

IMG_6344.thumb.JPG.34712fb2a7b7739e5b8d9fc7e45eea5b.JPG

IMG_6354.thumb.JPG.4a34c5970500ff00ab84d05be0dc0079.JPG

Enjoyed @More Snow dipping in to the model thread last night?, though I also enjoy the sense of disconnect that their pantomime provides, 500 miles north its been a snowy scene most of the time since November. Took a pic today of the hellish pond thing we inherited with the house, think this is its 5th consecutive week frozen over at least

IMG_6368.thumb.PNG.904a82654b110d4086fbe476b9367ace.PNG

For anyone planning the Highlands one day, you'd love it, it's utterly beautiful, you don't necessarily need to go up a hill either, maybe surround yourself with them.. passing places like Glenmoriston today with Invermoriston (50m Asl) Dalchreichart (120m) they've had snow cover/cold there for weeks too. I realise we have snow starved Scottish members too so I'm going to shut the hell up now, sorry for the super long post and enjoy your evening Kilties ?

Hey it was Friday night I was jaffa cakesed got to have a bit of fun with the Southerners lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Just been out to put chooks and ducks to bed, temp -0.9c or -0.5c depending which weather station you believe! Getting crunchy underfoot which is a vast improvement on the muddy gloop we have to wade through in what passes as a garden. But the sky........oh my stars! ( Did you see what I did there? ) The Plough, Plaeides, Casseopeia, the Milky Way in all their glory! If it wisnae sae cauld I'd rake oot the telescope for a better view but these things are best done sober! ⭐??

• Like 7