Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
46 minutes ago, Norrance said:

There has been a fair bit of snow in that area this morning. My brother said that the road South to Crieff was very tricky this morning no nothing lying in Crieff. Even Ballinluig, usually the least snowy place in the area has a covering on the traffic cam.

I’m heading to Pitlochry tomorrow so sounds like I might get a nice walk in the snow. :)

A friend also reporting snow near Auchtermuchty. Perhaps @Blitzen or certainly @Benvironment seeing some?

Currently in Embra where it’s grey, dreich and cold, tomorrow’s sunshine will be most welcome!

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
17 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I’m heading to Pitlochry tomorrow so sounds like I might get a nice walk in the snow. :)

A friend also reporting snow near Auchtermuchty. Perhaps @Blitzen or certainly @Benvironment seeing some?

Currently in Embra where it’s grey, dreich and cold, tomorrow’s sunshine will be most welcome!

It's been snowing on and off all morning but not lying. I can't see East Lomond as it's hiding in the murk but I dare say West Lomond has a cosmetic white dusting by now. Here, however, it is green and grey and horrid. Hasn't stopped raining since 11am on Tuesday! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
58 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Nope!    Although the Daily Star is reporting that we will shortly be hit by an Arctic blast/blizzards this weekend.    Yeah, I guess that's a goer!:D2018-01-05.thumb.jpg.04542960d801a38697abacd7c9337596.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmm, thanks guys, in that case the Auchtermuchty report seems a bit suspect! Pity the colder air isn’t digging in a bit quicker!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

This was the Aberfeldy Crieff road early this morning.

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Seems to be a line from Dunbar to Aberfeldy and beyond, and the showers just not pushing past

Having watched it barely move all day - seems it's getting its act into gear just now. Edging ESE and intensifying.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Nope!    Although the Daily Star is reporting that we will shortly be hit by an Arctic blast/blizzards this weekend.    Yeah, I guess that's a goer!:D2018-01-05.thumb.jpg.04542960d801a38697abacd7c9337596.jpg

Oh Aye, if it's in  the Star, Fail, Mirror or Sun it must be true! NOT!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've been looking at the radar for tonight and tomorrow and I think the Moorfoots protect me from the snow. Has anybody got a bulldozer I could borrow?

• Like 1

Posted

Back in Broughty Ferry and the rain is heavy again, 3c. If only it was that bit colder!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Temp dropped from 3.5C to 2C this afternoon, mostly recently with very heavy showers becoming sleety. Firewood processing abandoned soon after lunch, which is just putting it off till another day of course. Pfffft.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Now down to 1.6C and the snow is starting to win......but looks like it's going to fizzle out just as it's got going.

Probably issues with the wet bulb temperature! 

I remember reading Robin Stirling’s ‘The Weather of Britain’ (still got my copy) and being fascinated with the wet bulb temperature and the difference it makes to snow accumulating or not. I know this wouldn’t apply to you as you are an experienced outdoors person but I still get vaguely irritated when people say ‘the ground is too wet for the snow to lie’ as (unless you are talking about a body of water!) it’s usually because the wet bulb reading is too high (i.e. above 0c). 

Its come up a few times on this thread but I’m too polite to jump in and correct people! :oops::D

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
28 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Probably issues with the wet bulb temperature! 

I remember reading Robin Stirling’s ‘The Weather of Britain’ (still got my copy) and being fascinated with the wet bulb temperature and the difference it makes to snow accumulating or not. I know this wouldn’t apply to you as you are an experienced outdoors person but I still get vaguely irritated when people say ‘the ground is too wet for the snow to lie’ as (unless you are talking about a body of water!) it’s usually because the wet bulb reading is too high (i.e. above 0c). 

Its come up a few times on this thread but I’m too polite to jump in and correct people! :oops::D

Most of the snow events up here are rain to snow, or at least very soggy ground to snow. Evaporative cooling has been our saviour on more than one occasion! :)

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You should let folk know, then we can all learn as we go :)

But what if someone asks me to explain it! ? Point taken though!

There is a brief explanation of wet bulb and dew point temperature here: http://www.wral.com/wet-bulb-temperature-vs-dew-point-differences-explained/1254745/

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
15 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

But what if someone asks me to explain it! ? Point taken though!

There is a brief explanation of wet bulb and dew point temperature here: http://www.wral.com/wet-bulb-temperature-vs-dew-point-differences-explained/1254745/

Thanks for this. I have often wondered how snow can fall and lie on saturated ground and eventually fill in over puddles  even before they turn to ice.

• Like 1

Posted

Had the first serious snow experience in recent years.  It was raining in Banchory (3C) earlier this afternoon and so decided to return home over the B974.  I should have known better, but the thought of negotiating Aberdeen traffic on a Friday afternoon was not appealing!

White-out conditions developed after passing the Glen Dye snow-gate and not long after, the driver of some sort of estate car in front decided to attempt a u-turn on a narrow section of the road, on a hill and a few yards from a bend. After about 10 points to-ing and fro-ing and still at right angles to the carriageway, the inevitable happened – a car travelling in the opposite direction, downhill, rounded the bend, and being unable to brake or swerve banged into rear end of said car and careered onto the verge straight in my direction. It came to a halt a few yards in front of me, luckily. Also, fortunately no serious casualty resulted.

The moral of the tale is, never underestimate the dangers of unpredictable weather conditions in Scotland. The white landscape was pretty, though -:nea:

• Like 8

Posted

Here is the Aberfeldy Crieff road now at Amulree.

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

Edited by Norrance
Duplicate photo
  • Like 3

Posted

Another dull dreich day with  a few light showers coming from the east along the coast.    In the last few minutes we have had very heavy shower of hail and the ground is white. Temperature is now 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Another dull dreich day with  a few light showers coming from the east along the coast.    In the last few minutes we have had very heavy shower of hail and the ground is white. Temperature is now 1c

Just had a very heavy hail shower here in Leith as well. Enough to give a wee coating of slush.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Just had a very heavy hail shower here in Leith as well. Enough to give a wee coating of slush.

Haha - was just popping on to say the same. Hail is lashing it down here! Not had a hail shower like it for ages!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1