Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some tasty periods of heavy rain passing through Glasgow this afternoon. Was almost dark about 3pm.

Had a wee look at what's coming up and, wow: http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Scotland/Glasgow/long.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Samaritans?:D

Another bottle of sherry... :drunk:

Went out for a walk and it rained even more. Apparently it's snowy on various high roads in the Highlands, according to 'usually reliable' sources.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm not sure if any of us live in the affected area but some lucky people are going to get utterly pasted tonight. 

prectypeuktopo-6.thumb.png.d0d768dc08eaf61c05eb185ca606683d.png20180102_182225.thumb.png.f8992b9f4de27c3edcdfbd15e9f496a6.png20180102_182103.thumb.png.fc0b453e9c23f2b8e9c4ec77ffde8d3f.png20180102_182025.thumb.png.b3dda8d5e285bdf2e09ee0a3726601e5.png20180102_181935.thumb.png.15803741f22565f6df0f45e3efc1afb7.png

And what warning do people have for this from the Met-Office? Absolutely none. The precip totals are for 3 hours, 4-6 inches of snow in 3 hours would surely be worth some kind of heads up?

BBC weather graphics  at 6:30 tonight showed a lot of snow across Scotland but never even mentioned it.... 

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Ross B said:

BBC weather graphics  at 6:30 tonight showed a lot of snow across Scotland but never even mentioned it.... 

C'mon, you know it's only haggises, goats and plastic bottles of irn bru in Scotland. And the odd deep fried pine marten turd.  None of those would understand English as spoken by the Knickersniffer, even if they had access to a 60" flatscreen. Where am I going with this?    Christ that sherry's potent :aggressive:

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm not sure if any of us live in the affected area but some lucky people are going to get utterly pasted tonight. 

Possibly @Polar Gael

Looking at that graphic I’m thinking Bridge of Orchy or thereabouts would be a sweet spot?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Working in East Kilbride tonight and the BBC forecast is now showing heavy snow for here between midnight and 2am. I finish at 2am so I maybe in for a nice wee drive home later :)

• Like 1

Posted

Well what a day!! was out a drive to explore some of the north coast 500 and ended up getting stuck in a blizzard. I'm sure some on here might be aware of the bealach na ba pass (applecross pass), oh my god what a road but we were majorly caught out. Stranded for a while and struggled through the snow inch by inch until we eventually made it off. It was very close to the old 'abandon and walk' but civilisation was so far considering the weather so we kept trying to plod along with the car. Never seen conditions go from clear to a blowing blizzard and with inches of snow within minutes! Incredible stuff. The photos do not do the conditions justice, some of the most intense blizzard conditions I've experienced in terms of how quickly it caught us out.

The last photo is talking tactics and trying to figure out how to get off the pass  my car was sitting helpless on a steep incline at this point. 

Will definitely check the forecast more thoroughly before next time!

IMG_7340.thumb.PNG.2e199519bc07e4e2526c37efaa4b7acd.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Amazing pics of Galway flooding tonight on twitter. I know Galway well, odd to see it under water. Currently battering on my windows here now.

Posted
58 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Well what a day!! was out a drive to explore some of the north coast 500 and ended up getting stuck in a blizzard. I'm sure some on here might be aware of the bealach na ba pass (applecross pass), oh my god what a road but we were majorly caught out. Stranded for a while and struggled through the snow inch by inch until we eventually made it off. It was very close to the old 'abandon and walk' but civilisation was so far considering the weather so we kept trying to plod along with the car. Never seen conditions go from clear to a blowing blizzard and with inches of snow within minutes! Incredible stuff. The photos do not do the conditions justice, some of the most intense blizzard conditions I've experienced in terms of how quickly it caught us out.

The last photo is talking tactics and trying to figure out how to get off the pass  my car was sitting helpless on a steep incline at this point. 

Nice photos but did you take the ST up there in January??? I went up there in May, amazing place and we had perfect weather luckily  (blue skies and 20c).I wouldn't fancy trying that road even with winter tyres in those conditions!  (I also had an ST a few years ago and it wasn't great in rain or light snow so you're a brave man! Haha ) 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

I think our neighbour tried to get over there today in a range rover but got stuck behind the camper van in one of your pictures so gave up. Sensibly.

I got stuck there on a GPz750R many years ago - in April. Alone. Probably the most freaked out I ever got by weather on a bike, including early 80s winters on Welsh hills. The BnB just seems to go from ok to hmm I shouldn't be here to oh fk no in a couple of minutes.

An ST though, in winter... :crazy: I bet you're on Michelin PSS too...

I'm jealous tho - would have loved that in the Yeti with its winter rubber

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.
3 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Possibly @Polar Gael

Looking at that graphic I’m thinking Bridge of Orchy or thereabouts would be a sweet spot?

Sadly, so far it's just cauld rain, washing away today's snaw cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
18 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

Sadly, so far it's just cauld rain, washing away today's snaw cover.

Heavy snow now in some parts of Perthshire? For example check the traffic cams on A9 at Loaninghead and Balhaldie.. Heavy sleet here though wouldn't be surprised if snow in the highest NW parts of the town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

It's trying to turn here, but on the wrong side of marginal so far. Currently 0.6C/1C, so have not given up hope of some more of the white stuff overnight yet. 

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

Cat just jumped halfway up the Xmas tree to grab a robin - a toy robin - and is now dismembering it by the stove. Other cat swiping at various decorations on the tree. What was in that tin of brown slop they got earlier?

Posted

Heavy snow here in East Kilbride! :yahoo:

B031180B-BE48-4A24-84A9-6645A51AD59C.jpeg

5431489D-B08A-4CE1-99A3-9160AD2AB0DF.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just good old heavy rain here. Power off though and everyone's alarms are going nuts!

• Like 1

Posted

Finally made it home to Barrhead from East Kilbride. Really didn’t expect to see snow tonight so it was a nice surprise. I am really enjoying this winter so far :)

12171C60-A6C8-42BB-856F-3D04494731FD.thumb.jpeg.f10d3729b0969664446cb2546b95ed7f.jpeg4D003519-4F35-4A46-8586-4EBC063EA544.thumb.jpeg.5365827d4db6157b608b7c05335404c4.jpeg27F18022-AF4F-4FB0-A874-CAAC11030B3C.thumb.png.4acb61d7aa5120414a3b161dab5f59e9.png55C3EACA-03EF-4812-92C4-A3EB536CADED.thumb.jpeg.0b9a75c13d47db46bc33ad7577bc3aa8.jpegA512CF87-BAAA-4493-A928-7E7A4CEAD419.thumb.jpeg.42bc74dd37d3bf4ff6488b3d1e132707.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It sounds like sleet here (no lights outside) but Soutra is very snowy:

Screenshot_20180103-043541.thumb.jpg.41e813f3b8435a3561b1e40fd0f74848.jpg

Big miss by the Met-Office as there is clearly quite a bit of snow around.

Good call on last night's snow potential Mr Catch :D

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

All I did was look at some charts :)

Apparently a few more than the Met Office :D

• Like 1

Posted

Just realised there must have been wet snow here at some point overnight. There's a slushy layer on the grass and car.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Cat just jumped halfway up the Xmas tree to grab a robin - a toy robin - and is now dismembering it by the stove. Other cat swiping at various decorations on the tree. What was in that tin of brown slop they got earlier?

Just reminds me, on the last really cold December my (long gone) cattie presented a robin through the flap on xmas morning.

Bringing weather things up to date, my location, for now, has avoided snow, prolonged ice days and severe gales. :) 

Roll on spring and more daylight.

• Like 1