Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Watched the radar and it litterally split right round Ayr ... when u look up and around we have blue sky abouts and heavy grey cloud all around resembles being in the eye of a hurricane ? still dry but I swear if that precipitation was rain guess who would get pelted 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
1 minute ago, aggy said:

Watched the radar and it litterally split right round Ayr ... when u look up and around we have blue sky abouts and heavy grey cloud all around resembles being in the eye of a hurricane ? still dry but I swear if that precipitation was rain guess who would get pelted 

Yeah, that split worked its way up to Edinburgh as well. No rhyme or reason for it that I can understand other than random chance. (A random chance that happens time and time again mindyou !)

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

Yeah, that split worked its way up to Edinburgh as well. No rhyme or reason for it that I can understand other than random chance. (A random chance that happens time and time again mindyou !)

Very strange but it honestly does it every single time ?

• Like 1

Posted

Aye, that’s the rain on.

Posted

Gone very sleety here :( Don't know if this is going to come to anything which is a shame, but to those who do get some white stuff today, enjoy!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim

Posted

Everything has been white here all week with the frost. Looked out just now and green again. Looks like it rained as I expected. 

Posted

Back from dog walking, big heavy flakes and laying well on frozen ground. Been going fairly well for the last hour. Maybe 10mm on the ground so far.

Coming in easterly off the sea.

• Like 1

Posted

Currently on M80 in a blizzard Near Stirling A good 5 cm here. Must say (as a southerner) I’m really impressed with all the snow ploughs and fritters. Have seen about 10 in last hour from Carlisle. Down saft it would be gridlock! Anyone know how the A9 is looking ? 

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Based on the Met Office weather warning, just south of Aberdeen. Up here I would expect a spell of cold drizzle.

Hi Michael, you won’t be disappointed. 3c and drizzle in a cold SE wind. To be fair, exactly as forecast.

As always great to see the photos from elsewhere!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Currently on M80 in a blizzard Near Stirling A good 5 cm here. Must say (as a southerner) I’m really impressed with all the snow ploughs and fritters. Have seen about 10 in last hour from Carlisle. Down saft it would be gridlock! Anyone know how the A9 is looking ? 

Not sure, you should check traffic Scotland website if possible, usually very up to date with road conditions etc, and plenty cams

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

! Anyone know how the A9 is looking ? 

Not good. Heavy snow ahead of you towards Perth, seems to improve getting on towards Pitlochry.

Looks you have pretty bad conditions ahead.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Any bets on whether the stuff moving over Northern Ireland will be rain or snow when it gets here? It looks pretty heavy! 

Posted

Thanks all. Just getting on A9 from Stirling. Have a full tank of fuel. A bag of food, a shovel and some snow socks so should be ok! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ross B said:

Any bets on whether the stuff moving over Northern Ireland will be rain or snow when it gets here? It looks pretty heavy! 

It's snowing over here above 200mts which was not expected. I would expect something similar for Scotland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
8 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Meto have it easing off for me in the next hour or two, then back on later this afternoon. Previously they had it sleety, now just moderate to heavy snow, so that's promising.

I need to pick up the wife, mother in law and mini Mrs SS from the airport at 16:00, so a break ahead of that is probably a good thing.

Gritters will be going back and forth over soutra as they do in such conditions, so looks clear enough.

And of course I have the nokian weatherproofs on.

EDIT

@Tim Bland Ach you'll be fine. Takes -10C, 2 inches of pack ice and a foot of snaw on top before we start getting stuck in these parts.

I've got 35 miles each way to the airport later over a 400 m pass. Not in the least concerned.

Still good on you for being prepared as I will.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

SS is there any sign of it easing for me either this afternoon or tomorrow morning? I need to get to a bank.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
12 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Stay safe Tim... some real bad weather your way.

Anyhow just for reference 

Here’s a gritter

B0883977-CBAE-4B4B-83BF-259317A60A50.thumb.jpeg.c9b5db6ab9c6361b6cbf0ed4894810b2.jpeg

And this is a fritter.....Tasty but not much use in a blizzard:D

E15C3D36-AB6A-4C22-AEE0-CDC2F2528EEA.thumb.jpeg.28599d1b23aed0d9fa584da3a2f56d2e.jpeg

• Like 2