Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
1 hour ago, edo said:

im quoting you @Ruzzi:D

i agree this has been there for a few days and seems to be upgrading as we get closer.... 

ive only looked at GFS though been scared to oprn another model... be worth having a look at the euro 4 and see how its looking there 

That's fine, you can quote me now that the updated warning is out ?? ⛄️❄️❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Re warnings - don’t expect any changes now until tommorow at 11am as this is the time they usually issue or update them. I’m  up in Aviemore for skiing this weekend. Unfortunately doesn’t look like it will make it that far north. Precip shown as far north as Cairngorms is light and patchy so no need for the warning to be extended much further north. Unfortunately the Euro4 is down so this will hamper the met offices capability to accurately predict the path but satellite images will soon place it accurately for them 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/946348878131064832

hmmmm dont much like this video of anticipated precip path from the Met... keeps it all a bit too far south for my liking 

Posted
8 minutes ago, edo said:

hmmmm dont much like this video of anticipated precip path from the Met... keeps it all a bit too far south for my liking 

That explains the Amber for Englandshire.

Looks OK for here too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
14 minutes ago, edo said:

Can't say I'm unhappy with it. Obviously. :)

I've had naff all so far really here in Lauder, so this could be quite nice.

• Like 2

Posted

Decent blanket of cover here, got about a 7cm top-up over night and showers have continued through the day so far, currently snowing heavily 

Met O has us going from -2c to -8c from 4pm to 5pm so a rapid temp drop coming up. Currently -1c

hope any snow starved members get their wishes granted tomo

• Like 6

Posted

Back home just now after visiting family.....slap bang in the middle of the amber warning area in northern England. Obviously I reassured them that as soon as I left they would likely see snow. :D

Cant see anything other than some lightish rain tomorrow here in Broughty Ferry. The wait continues. Fortunately I’m on holiday until the 8th so can get out and about snow-chasing since the snow won’t come to me!

• Like 3

Posted

A few photos inland on the moor road from Glenferness to Grantown-on Spey. 20171228_120834.thumb.jpg.1c2a969e42d7d45c9fe8b7f7150bdc70.jpg20171228_104910.thumb.jpg.b53b482d68a79d48c5ffd1c6d73af205.jpg20171228_104916.thumb.jpg.a122def35effac7134858fd56003888b.jpg20171228_104922.thumb.jpg.9a6ee5459cb4c1ac35f2381cd8193b38.jpg20171228_104929.thumb.jpg.ba1a4e51681e271a501e024f48b752aa.jpg20171228_120828.thumb.jpg.e334baa3e26ada27b471047f08277f87.jpgNever got above 2c here today with flurries of snow and hail. Currently 1c. Should be frosty tonight with clearing skies.

• Like 7

Posted

the euro4 gubbed on other sites too 

GFS continues to say us further North get some action too.... pretty marginal in at times though for those nearer coasts as per 

Screenshot_20171228-155424.png

Edited by edo

More heavy snow showers here this evening and temp is dropping quickly. I'm not in line for anything tomorrow but will be keeping my eye on this thread to see how many more of you get lucky and hope many of you see plenty of the white stuff I know ive had more than my fair share so far so I do hope others get it this time round.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Going away for New Year in the campervan- where would be a good bet to see snow, but not TOO far away from civilisation? Was thinking North Wales but open to suggestions..

Posted
5 hours ago, Benvironment said:

Well spotted! The south gets the sun, the powder and is sheltered from the savage northerly wind.......and yet nobody else whatsoever went up there yesterday. But that's fine cos it means it's usually beautifully quiet ;-) I did a bit of investigating on Instagram on Tuesday night to see where had caught the most snow and Tinto looked a good bet. The snow is quite localised though as you drive around. Just north of Forth seemed to have caught the most, up by the smelly windfarm.

Yeah, it is a nice route with a bit more character than the usual plod up from Fallburn (although the fields at the bottom are usually muddy unless there’s a particularly cold or dry spell).  Believe it or not there was a small avalanche off the south side of Tinto in the 2009 cold spell, but not enough snow to worry about that at present!!

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, edo said:

the euro4 gubbed on other sites too 

GFS continues to say us further North get some action too.... pretty marginal in at times though for those nearer coasts as per 

Screenshot_20171228-155424.png

....as per what? As per 101? That green is dangerously close!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Still got 4 inches left here, been out measuring to be sure my eye wasn't a mile out but sure enough, bang on 4 inches left on most surfaces including the gardens, the roads and pavements are just a compact layer of snow and ice. Temp already down to -3c and dropping fast too.  Let the fun commence tomorrow.

IMG_7284.thumb.PNG.e3d0841fa1109b35cdd023ffe7a19d22.PNG

The washing lines are still sporting their frozen jackets aswell 

IMG_7286.thumb.PNG.2495dc65c353841388ee7ac56dd73bca.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
1 hour ago, tiff said:

Going away for New Year in the campervan- where would be a good bet to see snow, but not TOO far away from civilisation? Was thinking North Wales but open to suggestions..

We usually head off to the red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe for new years day (we avoid new years eve in case it's too noisy for the kids) but thinking of giving it a miss this year as our van's very basic (and bijou) so doesn't have any heating. Still there's always a campfire and all huddle together to keep warm. Enjoy your trip. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers
1 hour ago, tiff said:

Why dont you have a look on the uk campsite forum

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

click on the map for the area you want to go to and then refine the search to suit your needs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters hot summers
12 minutes ago, snowidea said:

We usually head off to the red Squirrel campsite in Glencoe for new years day (we avoid new years eve in case it's too noisy for the kids) but thinking of giving it a miss this year as our van's very basic (and bijou) so doesn't have any heating. Still there's always a campfire and all huddle together to keep warm. Enjoy your trip. 

No been to that site snowidea , sounds good.

Was meant to be going away in our van  but had to cancel as we have all had the flu.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, Spindrift2017 said:

Yeah, it is a nice route with a bit more character than the usual plod up from Fallburn (although the fields at the bottom are usually muddy unless there’s a particularly cold or dry spell).  Believe it or not there was a small avalanche off the south side of Tinto in the 2009 cold spell, but not enough snow to worry about that at present!!

Funnily enough that was the year I tried to climb Tinto for the first time......but couldn't because there was a level foot of sinking snow in those fields at Wiston. Came back in the summer ;-) But yep you're right, those fields are a nightmare. Even yesterday it was a bit dicey in places as there was a frozen crust on the mud. Probably a bit better today though after last night. My car thermometer was reading -9C when I drove through Hyndford Bridge yesterday morning!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Fellow Scots have fun in your snow filled delight tomorrow again I’m writing from the snowless Ayr ? jaffa cakesing with rain as per just shortly I say it every year I’m moving up a hill 

• Like 2

Posted

lol @101_North yes indeed but im fast becoming as snowless as u in recent times

just been outside and the air now feels incredibly code with that real cold smell too it if that makes any sense. 

i think the borders going to get absolutely pasted tomorrow.... if half the family didnt have flu i would be off to peebles to visit the relatives 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Gorgeous but rather cold day here in Skye. Any snow that fell yesterday has more or less vanished at home. A good 4 inches at the side of the road on the way into Portree. Temp currently -1.5c.  Will be spitting feathers tomorrow as we are , once again, not getting any snow here! Bummer! Enjoy it those of you who get it! :cold-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
22 minutes ago, balmaha said:

No been to that site snowidea , sounds good.

Was meant to be going away in our van  but had to cancel as we have all had the flu.

The red squirrel is good fun, very basic (no hook up) a bit like wild camping as no set pitches etc but you can have campfires and in the summer you can swim in the river. These were taken last year New Years Day. 

FB_IMG_1514484538791.jpg

FB_IMG_1514484561905.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

YES!!!!

:)

phew thought i was going mad..... it smells so pure..... now if i can have that smell with some flakes floating about that would be great 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Really excited wi tomorrow's forecast -  just hope it is RIGHT!