Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
2 minutes ago, More Snow said:

oh ive been told by the locals about the 100 days of snow that never seemed to end. :D

The good thing is though they know how to keep the roads pretty clear around you but yes id imagine the depth of snow was measured by the foot than the inch ?

yeah roads have generally been ok, apart from my lane last time round we had a mild blip one evening and had an hour or 2 of rain on an already icy road and next morning we had 1.5 miles of polished ice that even the 4x4's were having real trouble on..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Hanging on like grim death to the 2" we got here, frozen into concrete now .High today of 1C for this postcode.

Posted

Hanging onto to plenty of snowcover here still and highs of only 0c today, then lows of around -6c, -7c tonight followed by hopefully a half decent fall tomorrow. 

IMG_7274.thumb.PNG.0761136b28dba7448f5116559de8dd8d.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Overnight the 00z actually shows the system tomorrow remaining as snow for a large chunk of Scotland even into Sunday and then a PM flow later in the week bringing more potential particularly for NW parts. Plenty of interest, I have everything crossed for a snow day with kids tomorrow.....I will be very grumpy if it does not happen.....the kids need dragging away from indoors and Xmas toys

And the 06z has actually intensified the snow on Saturday, some areas will do very well the next two days

Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the snaw

Edited by edo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Groundhog day.    (feels like)

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted

Don't quote me on it but I have a feeling that the MetO warning area for snow tomorrow will extend northwards soon. 

The GFS has consistently been modelling snow for a large part of Scotland, definitely more further north than the MetO warning area suggests. 

And now, a quick check of other locations on the MetO forecast (Livingston, coatbridge and Cumbernauld) all have a decent amount of snow forecast for tomorrow lasting a number of hours so I'm assuming the MetO fax has moved the precipitation further north, or has the precipitation more expansive than they first thought at the time of issuing the warning 

This is the latest prediction from the GFS 6z for tomorrow in terms of snow. 

IMG_7275.thumb.PNG.cf35ee1b2ee3181562917e3af1a145fa.PNG

IMG_7276.thumb.PNG.53d409167863cc78cd600cfc02189f76.PNG

IMG_7277.thumb.PNG.513ad1bdae66864ab67ab0d4cf550269.PNG

IMG_7278.thumb.PNG.ca1f3cde6d20071aea7a1a9bfdc81d3f.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking forward to tomorrow's potential dollop. Monday's lot barely melted much

Posted

Still cold and snowy/icy in currie.

temperature hasn't risen above zero since it briefly reached 1c on Boxing Day.

image.jpeg

Edited by Polar Side
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
11 hours ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The first one looks like the quiet route up Tinto from the south? The hills around there have caught more snow than further west.  It’s not often you see the Pentlands looking quite so Alpine.

Well spotted! The south gets the sun, the powder and is sheltered from the savage northerly wind.......and yet nobody else whatsoever went up there yesterday. But that's fine cos it means it's usually beautifully quiet ;-) I did a bit of investigating on Instagram on Tuesday night to see where had caught the most snow and Tinto looked a good bet. The snow is quite localised though as you drive around. Just north of Forth seemed to have caught the most, up by the smelly windfarm.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Don't quote me on it but I have a feeling that the MetO warning area for snow tomorrow will extend northwards soon. 

The GFS has consistently been modelling snow for a large part of Scotland, definitely more further north than the MetO warning area suggests. 

And now, a quick check of other locations on the MetO forecast (Livingston, coatbridge and Cumbernauld) all have a decent amount of snow forecast for tomorrow lasting a number of hours so I'm assuming the MetO fax has moved the precipitation further north, or has the precipitation more expansive than they first thought at the time of issuing the warning 

Flying home  this afternoon with fingers crossed!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

im quoting you @Ruzzi:D

i agree this has been there for a few days and seems to be upgrading as we get closer.... 

ive only looked at GFS though been scared to oprn another model... be worth having a look at the euro 4 and see how its looking there 

• Like 1

Posted
31 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Still cold and snowy/icy in currie.

temperature hasn't risen above zero since it briefly reached 1c on Boxing Day.

image.jpeg

Nice! I'm hoping there's at least some left in the garden for the kids when we get back!

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

The updated fax chart has more of an organised front (for the Central belt anyway) whereas yesterday it had a split with the wrap around fronts over the warning area and a smaller front north of Glasgow. Like you, I'm expecting a warning upgrade soon, fingers crossed.

PPVI89.gif.3ea407743bb61305ab49152007f0f8d2.gif

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Nice! I'm hoping there's at least some left in the garden for the kids when we get back!

Should be, my kids have been sledging the last few days.

I've jinxed the temp though, now 0.3c !

Posted

Warnings have changed. Surprised about the amber for down there. Probably down to population and disruption.

Edit: Not sure if I dreamt that as they have changed back. Probably being updated.

Edited by Kayemill

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Warnings have changed. Surprised about the amber for down there. Probably down to population and disruption.

Edit: Not sure if I dreamt that as they have changed back. Probably being updated.

For some reason the app gave me a notification but images won't update. Updated on the website though. 

Edited by Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Woke up thinking it was Friday and looked outside raging that it wasn’t snawin! :oops: 

Hopefully some of us get a good dumping tomorrow!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ross B said:

For some reason the app gave me a notification but images won't update. Updated on the website though. 

I can see it on my phone. There is an Amber for snow down in England which seems strange to me. Charts not really showing any snow down there?

To be honest I'm not expecting anything other than cold rain here. Maybe a bit on the hills. Same as monday. Those GFS charts seriously overcook the chances of snow in my experience. Further inland will probably do well. Killie has no chance!

Edit: Must still be updating as text says northern England. Area highlighted is around Bradford.

Edited by Kayemill

Posted
3 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

I can see it on my phone. There is an Amber for snow down in England which seems strange to me. Charts not really showing any snow down there?

To be honest I'm not expecting anything other than cold rain here. Maybe a bit on the hills. Same as monday. Those GFS charts seriously overcook the chances of snow in my experience. Further inland will probably do well. Killie has no chance!

Aye, the meto have finally learned to exclude killie from the snow warnings.Tomorrow's killies day for a blizzard then:rofl: (not that I live there anymore but I might be there for a time tomorrow) 

Screenshot_20171228-110902.png

Edited by Ross B

Posted

Happy days ?

I'm approx 200m asl, and couldn't be any more in the middle of that warning area if I tried.

we've had practically no melt at all today, so hoping for a wee 3-4 inch top up and levels in the garden should be getting on for about 8 inches all going well. Still easily 4 inches on the grass at the moment. 

Will post pictures tomorrow if it doesn't go belly up ?

IMG_7279.thumb.PNG.ca172a680412b2a6cb0f93cf8a7e699e.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi