Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Kilties! 12.4c here just after 7am and breezy too. So much for festive weather! As for the white stuff arriving later in the week, aye right! Bet we won't see a snowflake at ground level here. I'd bet my Christmas bottle on it. ( Maybe I'm being a bit hasty there. I live in hope! ) ?❄

Posted

The 00z keeps the theme going for a snowy end to xmas for parts of Scotland albeit has the snow a bit further south than the 18z 

IMG_7221.thumb.PNG.517ba7c9287f602623a040549fc0bd99.PNG

IMG_7222.thumb.PNG.24501e6e8ced3a6e7eb56facc04513b3.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi

Posted

Maybe a unexpected Xmas Snowy finish? Won't beat 2009/2010 2 white christmases in a row would never have thought that

• Like 1

Posted

Slight overnight frost, but now around 10C, :), partial cloud cover and a breeze from the west.

The range of yesterday's temps were notable, - 3C early morning at home and 11C a couple of hours or so later in Co'path.

One from an ice day earlier this week:

5a3e2c82b2647_Lochnagar07.thumb.jpg.dd35707ab5043c64a473cbf493f2e41c.jpg  Lochnagar from Glen Muick

• Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Merry Xmas, lovers of haggis & battered Mars bars.. :drinks: :yahoo:

1D70D41E-23DF-4277-BE97-F3186A983A0D.thumb.jpeg.53ea49f6bad28e717ad07aec5bb04413.jpeg

Love haggis, but I'll reserve that meal, along with neeps and tatties for later in January. :) 

Season's greetings to you, and all others who keep this thread an inclusive Scottish place to be.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Patronising food references, how hilarious!! 

Light-hearted is all. :) 

I’m from south of the river, a pretty cockney traditionalist family a history of dockers the times I’ve had pie and mash brought up not so much now that I’m a grown man! 

Posted
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Merry Xmas, lovers of haggis & battered Mars bars.. :drinks: :yahoo:

1D70D41E-23DF-4277-BE97-F3186A983A0D.thumb.jpeg.53ea49f6bad28e717ad07aec5bb04413.jpeg

Could well be worth a flutter on a white Xmas for Edinburgh this year while the odds are still good, been showing consistently in the charts for a while now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Go on ECM - you can do it..

RE: White Xmas bets - is it not mid-day they take a reading, if so I think that may be a bit early for paying out £$£$£$£$£

Edited by lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

RE: White Xmas bets - is it not mid-day they take a reading, if so I think that may be a bit early for paying out £$£$£$£$£

Rather have my pay out in €€€€€ please :good:

Posted
11 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Certainly one to watch and indeed mid day would be too early but a quick google search later the definition of a white Christmas is one flake of snow in a 24 hour period (for London at least) will be waitiing for 18z myself before I take the plunge, MO and BBC Scotland not going past midday 25th the now.

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Edinburgh Castle is only a few miles from the sea, the wind direction will be off the sea. Good luck with your bet, as it stands I wouldn't be putting on any more than a pound but that's up to you :)

That’s my biggest concern but taking the intensity of the precipitation into account I think this won’t be an issue depending on the track and timings of course, and with such uncertainties I wouldn’t wager much more myself. However needs watching if the charts verify I will be stuck with the mother in law near Greenlaw ?

Edit: readings should be taken from Edinburgh airport on the day so maybe a tiny bit more in favour.

Edited by Weather Wonder

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-O says it's the castle, @101_North will tell you the airport is just as useless for snow.

As much as I would like to see proper snow kinda hope you are right... can’t help but feel this thread isn’t as friendly as others which is a shame especially this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
25 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-O says it's the castle, @101_North will tell you the airport is just as useless for snow.

I actually think Edinburgh has a wee shout at something in this set up (dependant on verification obviously and probably a dozen other things). If the flow is relatively slack, wind backs NW or West, still under decent precipitation that doesn't clear through too quickly, plus reasonable uppers, dewpoints etc etc etc Certainly seen it happen even if it just ends up as half an inch of sloppy slush in town. Higher parts of the city probably favoured (Liberton, Inch, Fairmilehead, Braids etc). Therefore a good shout for 101_North as well. I would certainly expect you, Scottish Skier and Weather Wonder to be in with a very good shout indeed.

Edited by Paul Martin

Posted

I appear to be in the sweet spot, or so my phone tells me.  15cms forecast from 3pm Xmas day.

Drumalbin is my nearest xcweather station...

I'll pay attention whilst roasting the goose.

• Like 2

Posted
34 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Many places inland look like getting a pasting potentially, could be a lot of snow very quickly so be prepared to be stuck at the in-laws!

Where do you get that last part from? 

No offence meant CMD, Scots are the friendliest people I have met in the uk just don’t feel like we all live up to that here...

Great odds JS but I would favour Glasgow out of the two, not long till 18z

Edit: shugee forecast is looking bad here the now lots of time for everything to go wrong and end up over highlands or midlands but don’t see this moving.

Edited by Weather Wonder
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Wonder said:

can’t help but feel this thread isn’t as friendly as others which is a shame especially this time of year.

Shame you don't pop in and post a bit more often! Friendliest forum I'm on regardless of the time of year :)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Martin said:

Therefore a good shout for 101_North as well.

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

As I said a week or so ago - I'm out of the country so it's nailed on to snow at home! An absolute certainty :wallbash:

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

As I said a week or so ago - I'm out of the country so it's nailed on to snow at home! An absolute certainty :wallbash:

I’m away too, visiting family down in Lancashire. I think we know where this is going. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
38 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I’m away too, visiting family down in Lancashire. I think we know where this is going. :D

We're off down to south Lakes, north Lancs for a few days between Boxing Day and NYE. Guaranteed snow for home. :wallbash:

Can't believe today's warmth. Washing hung out in a warm breeze, all but dry by teatime. The stove's on this evening but we're not force-feeding it as we usually do.

• Like 1