Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I've re-read ruzzi's post and I still don't like it. It just gets my hackles up in the way that so much nationalist stuff does and maybe I can't see the wood for the trees because of that. And that's with me becoming more pro-independence since the fkn stupid Brexit vote. Maybe I'll proclaim my own HC republic with loads of anti-Scottish crap.

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I've re-read ruzzi's post and I still don't like it. It just gets my hackles up in the way that so much nationalist stuff does and maybe I can't see the wood for the trees because of that. And that's with me becoming more pro-independence since the fkn stupid Brexit vote. Maybe I'll proclaim my own HC republic with loads of anti-Scottish crap.

Well apologies if you don't like it or perceived it in a way that's way more in depth than what it was meant, I most definitely did not say anything with the intention of being Anti-English and I certainly had no interest in creating any political undertones either when it's all that's plastered all over the news day in and day out. I didn't intend to be controversial either and merely meant it as some banter and tongue-in-cheek humour. I honestly did not see this becoming such an issue and for all some people are PC I thought it was quite evident that it was banter with a point of getting across that a fair and balanced model discussion would suit everyone better in the Model Thread. I only posted it in here as there was nothing else really happening in this thread and I hope it was read by everyone else in the light hearted way it was intended. 

The post wasn't deleted from the Model Thread either and as I had mentioned, it seemed to have the desired effect over there in the following couple of pages with plenty mention of Scotland and a more balanced view of Synoptics. No-one raised an issue with it and there was support from members in both Scotland and England and I presume it was met with the correct assumption of it being tongue-in-cheek and banter and no-one thinking it was Anti-English or based on any other hidden agenda. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think the worst he could be accused of is having a wee bag of McCain's on his shoulder, not that I'm saying that he does just that some may think he does. It doesn't come across as aggressive or hateful, sarcastic yes but we can all do that at times. IMBYism is always going to cause bias towards the most populated areas, it happens everywhere and it should be pointed out now and again.  

Huge potential coming up but will it fall nicely for us and if so then who is getting some snow?? Probs not me but someone should get something perhaps after Xmas Day, 26th-29th look possible.

A wee bag of McCain's .... ?? that's a belter, made me laugh. 

Honestly the only tasty potato snack on my shoulder is about the bias towards the discussion. I don't jump on it every time it happens, I'd be doing it every 5 mins otherwise. The sarcasm was there because of the dismissive nature of the post I was responding to, that was all. But I appreciate the fact that you see it for what it was. It was just frustration at reading everything from a down south point of view rather than a non-bias or balanced point of view. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
5 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Thanks!

Me, HC, Northern Strath, Northern Lights etc away out to Chanonry Point later to sacrifice Sean Batty to the snow Gods. 

Based on the latest GFS, it seems to have worked! 

• Like 2

Posted

As the dark has descended the fog has become more noticeable (not really cleared all day) seems to be thickening again

Posted

Periods of really wetting drizzly rain today fields are just like bogs again.Ground conditions in these last few months are really as bad  as I have ever seen them with just odd days dry enough to spread dung,plough or lift turnips. Will be glad to see the back of this year as it feels its been a constant battle with the weather since July with only my interest in Netweather helping us to get on the ground  just when conditions were right  as they could be.

Currently wet and 6c

May I take this opportunity to wish everyone on the Scottish thread a very Merry Christmas

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Foggy drive home from Edinburgh. One more day to go until I'm released for two weeks - hurrah 

Not holding out much hope for any white stuff on Xmas day here in Falkirk but fingers crossed for those further north. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, NUT said:

As the dark has descended the fog has become more noticeable (not really cleared all day) seems to be thickening again

Just been on the back road to Falkirk (Falkirk Wheel) they resurfaced last week so no lines, and with the pea souper it was interesting, and scary. Seems to be a chill in the air as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms
10 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Thanks!

Me, HC, Northern Strath, Northern Lights etc away out to Chanonry Point later to sacrifice Sean Batty to the snow Gods. 

Any chance you could take tomaz snifhernickerz as well

Posted
6 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

A wee bag of McCain's .... ?? that's a belter, made me laugh. 

Honestly the only tasty potato snack on my shoulder is about the bias towards the discussion. I don't jump on it every time it happens, I'd be doing it every 5 mins otherwise. The sarcasm was there because of the dismissive nature of the post I was responding to, that was all. But I appreciate the fact that you see it for what it was. It was just frustration at reading everything from a down south point of view rather than a non-bias or balanced point of view. 

Fair enough. I can sometimes be accused of being to quick to take offence, so I'll just drop the nonsense. Cheers!:drinks:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
56 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Any chance you could take tomaz snifhernickerz as well

Consider him sacrificed too.

No fog here, perhaps some smog from all the open fires and general dampness.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well likely no surprises to hear that Inverness is foggy. Nice swirling formations over the city at the moment.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Fair enough. I can sometimes be accused of being to quick to take offence, so I'll just drop the nonsense. Cheers!:drinks:

No harm, no foul ?

Have a cracking Christmas mate ⛄️???

Indeed best wishes to everyone for a happy Christmas and hopefully enjoyable festive period ?

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

This sounds like the Scottish Serial Killers thread. Please leave one tv weatherperson alive for when I'm not online.

The A7 is lethal this morning with a pea souper, and the husband is out on it it and I'm worried.

Posted

Frosty start this morning, -1c. Just a hint of fog between Dundee and St Andrews, nothing much.

Still looking colder from Boxing Day - I would think there would be good fresh snow cover on the mountains a week from now. That kind of set up can also occasionally produce surprises at lower levels!

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Aye, along the lines of "I'm surprised I let myself think it was going to snow". This seems to be the theme in recent years. I have done very well compared to you but it's coming up for five years since I've seen proper snow beyond an inch at the various places I've lived. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I think us coasties should emigrate to the Alps. I've just been drooling enviously over some pictures taken in the last couple of days in the French Alps. B'staards.

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Aye, along the lines of "I'm surprised I let myself think it was going to snow". This seems to be the theme in recent years. I have done very well compared to you but it's coming up for five years since I've seen proper snow beyond an inch at the various places I've lived. It's getting a bit ridiculous.

:D I'm patiently desperately waiting on that elusive second snowfall since 2010. Perhaps we should move to the Alps as HC suggests. Or just to somewhere with a continental climate...

Here is the 6z GFS for Leuchars with it's modest post-Christmas cold spell: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=EGQL/ 

And the same run for Toronto: http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample_C.shtml?text=CYTZ/

Now that's a cold spell...Toronto of course being many hundreds of miles to our south in terms of latitude. And of course Canadians in general mock Torontonians for knowing nothing about real snow, or real winter! I guess it's all relative. :D

Posted

Rather surprising development on the 18z!! Starts at around T69 so still plenty scope for change albeit, not a great deal of time until we find out. 

Maybe a wee xmas surprise! 

IMG_7216.thumb.PNG.aadb3fbc0074f2586f7670850fc32610.PNG

IMG_7217.thumb.PNG.4a101b0a14801eac4f25abc393ca5322.PNG

IMG_7218.thumb.PNG.b666c5ef4e2334b1963ac16b5aa5a0b8.PNG

IMG_7219.thumb.PNG.310bc69b776dacc13d32971b5030acbc.PNG

IMG_7220.thumb.PNG.bb85314d7e6db71bcc8c038167cb2273.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm not even a coastie, and I'll come too. If I was going to the Alps it would be Italy for me, plenty of places which get loads of proper snow.

The bit of the French Alps I know and like best is on the Italian border. I know a little French so that's where I go...

Get this though - I just got bitten by a mosquito while I was sat watching tv. Out of order.