Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Loving all the snow pics but am sulking big time because it's so green here! Temp around 3.4c, rain and sleet, so I guess that's the end of the white stuff for Skye then! Car parks in Portree were like skating rinks yesterday but I reckon they'll be fine today. Temps up to 10c next week, welcome to winter on Skye!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Finally woke up to a white world this morning, just a couple of inches but no sign of thawing though. Husband oot playing happily with his snow shovel lol

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I know it's probably considered sacrilege around here but we could do with a thaw and a reset. What snow is left is either a slushy mess or, especially in the car parks, a super slippy version of concrete. Otherwise, cold but not cold enough for snow do a mixture of rain and sleety stuff from occasional showers. 

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I know it's probably considered sacrilege around here but we could do with a thaw and a reset. What snow is left is either a slushy mess or, especially in the car parks, a super slippy version of concrete. Otherwise, cold but not cold enough for snow do a mixture of rain and sleety stuff from occasional showers. 

I wouldn't disagree! Be glad to see the back of all the invisible slippy super duper! 

• Like 1

Posted

Mini temp inversion this morn, Oc up at the house and -2c down closer to the coast. Currently in Inverness, good to see it with a week of lying snow, Ben Wyvis looking buried beyond the city

IMG_5677.thumb.JPG.d31479c31004bd93b7b42022b4cba5c4.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
7 hours ago, mardatha said:

Finally woke up to a white world this morning, just a couple of inches but no sign of thawing though. Husband oot playing happily with his snow shovel lol

Aye, that caught me by surprise. More of a frozen slushfest here at fort SS with ice rink back roads, but a decent we fall up Soutra way from observations during the commute. Had been lying all the way down to Pathhead. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Total agreement. Walking round the farm on tiptoes trying not to fall over is hard on the back.In spite of this the frosty days are welcome to dry up the mud.

Its really felt like winter these last few weeks and it feels like its going to last in spite of a mild spell next week. The sky has just cleared and its currently 1c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
47 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Total agreement. Walking round the farm on tiptoes trying not to fall over is hard on the back.In spite of this the frosty days are welcome to dry up the mud.

Its really felt like winter these last few weeks and it feels like its going to last in spite of a mild spell next week. The sky has just cleared and its currently 1c

I'll be a lone voice then. I'd rather have more days of icy pavements (and I'm one of those that use them rather than just drive the 400m to the shops), gutter icicles, frozen slush in the middle of the road, wintry scenes across the firth, snow still stuck to trees after a week, children sledging on rough icy slopes, having to put a coat on when I go out. It's winter!

strathfarrer.thumb.jpg.15c4a89a273e1f3fbbdd97f11fe4ead1.jpg  Strathfarrer this morning - dodgy road, and it rained. But I'd rather this than dull and muddy till March.

• Like 2

Another shower just rattled in here and left a fresh covering on any surface that's had a thaw.. the lane to my house is still only just passable... love it like this. proper winter.

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Walking round the farm on tiptoes trying not to fall over is hard on the back

My back yard was lethal this morning. I watched a funny moment, though, when two pheasants, in full tilt, tried to run across. 

Temp recently 1C with a slight northerly breeze. 

Posted
37 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I'll be a lone voice then. I'd rather have more days of icy pavements (and I'm one of those that use them rather than just drive the 400m to the shops), gutter icicles, frozen slush in the middle of the road, wintry scenes across the firth, snow still stuck to trees after a week, children sledging on rough icy slopes, having to put a coat on when I go out. It's winter!

strathfarrer.thumb.jpg.15c4a89a273e1f3fbbdd97f11fe4ead1.jpg  Strathfarrer this morning - dodgy road, and it rained. But I'd rather this than dull and muddy till March.

I think the biggest problem this last week is partial thawing leading to water on the ice making surfaces even more slippery. especially for the more mature members on here.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Northernlights said:

I think the biggest problem this last week is partial thawing leading to water on the ice making surfaces even more slippery. especially for the more mature members on here.

I agree, and I'm becoming one of the more mature members myself. I've come across plenty of folk who hate current conditions underfoot and I'm not so keen on risking further injury myself - I broke a bone in my wrist a few years ago falling on ice, wasn't diagnosed and is now a permanent disability.  However (as you may have noticed over the years!) I tend to take a contrary view...  and I like to keep the cold in as long as possible, enjoy the change in conditions, and (selfishly) tolerate the ice.

silhouettes.thumb.jpg.7570a0dd6506d65a904b24852df0d5c5.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Paths were lethal this morning. Had to go to Dunfermline and decided to take the dog for a walk in Pittencrief Park. Folk sliding about all over the place and the dog was doing a Bambi on the ice. Side roads still bad and it's freezing again after a partial thaw in the sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Currently 2c here, dry now, waiting for the sub tropic temps of 10c arriving next week. Also keeping an eye on this bad boy.......

h500slp[2].png

Posted
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

My snaps aren't as lovely as @101_North's but here are the Pentlands and the windfarm on Soutra hill, both taken from beside the A68 this afternoon:

20171215_131011.thumb.jpg.4cd4bb8f169b2aa8eb16109c9b4d6820.jpg20171215_125300.thumb.jpg.4e1e82e3417da3acc79a26c7afed5d30.jpg

For the avoidance of doubt the photo I posted was a webcam (not mine) capture:

https://www.eastsidecottages.co.uk/webcam

I love the blue skies you get this of year when it's cold! The clear northerly air makes for a real vivid blue!

Great photos sir :)

Edited by 101_North

further showers have now left about 2cm more snow....I'm bloody loving this start to my first Scottish winter..

Edited by Guest

Posted
2 minutes ago, More Snow said:

further showers have now left about 2cm more snow....I'm bloody loving this start to my first Scottish winter..

You really must have chosen a house in the sweet spot. We had some more snow earlier here too but no more than a dusting. Temp currently sat at 1.2C.

Posted

Another beautiful frosty morning. Bit more cloud around but -1c. Still got a bit of snow cover out of the sun although probably better described as a layer of white ice! 

Roads are lethal yet again! Zero points for Edinburgh City Council this week on the suburban roads front! Yet again they appear to grit when it's not needed and are nowhere to be seen when it is!

Last cold day of this spell. If only all winters could start like this :)

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Snow still lying here, but just a covering. Very very cold though and I must be getting old - just not enjoying going out at all. Love sitting inside looking at it, but the day we went up to Edinburgh the cold and that wind made it pure misery to walk around. I came back feeling really chilled to the bone and it took a day to warm up!

• Like 1

Posted

-1C here, partly cloudy and little to no wind. 

@mardatha- strangely, I've noticed the cold more this month than I have before and have been making sure I have enough layers. I remember in the cold spells just a few years ago, I would go out with little more than a shirt and pullover - and wondering why everyone else was buried under a mountain of hats and scarves. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think that early in the winter especially November and December we have a very humid wet cold but later on after New Year when the air hopefully becomes dryer the cold never seems so bad. All iced up again this morning at -1c

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Another beautiful frosty morning. Bit more cloud around but -1c. Still got a bit of snow cover out of the sun although probably better described as a layer of white ice! 

Roads are lethal yet again! Zero points for Edinburgh City Council this week on the suburban roads front! Yet again they appear to grit when it's not needed and are nowhere to be seen when it is!

Last cold day of this spell. If only all winters could start like this :)

Yep, similar here. Everything has frozen up again, including last nights small fall if wet snow and everything is covered in a layer of white ice, looks like the kind on an empire biscuit. Temp sitting at 0.7C currently. 

Despite the council actually gritting the roads in our estate the other day, I saw the gritter go past and nearly died of shock, it's made very little difference. They must be using budget grit this year, with a very low salt content. 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

-1C here, partly cloudy and little to no wind. 

@mardatha- strangely, I've noticed the cold more this month than I have before and have been making sure I have enough layers. I remember in the cold spells just a few years ago, I would go out with little more than a shirt and pullover - and wondering why everyone else was buried under a mountain of hats and scarves. 

Same here, it could be age, but I'm putting it down to not having the dog any more. Walking her every day, in just about all weathers (even she had her limits of what she'd go out in), helped acclimatise me throughout the year. 

• Like 1