Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
9 minutes ago, More Snow said:

skies have finally cleared here and the temp is dropping like a stone already minus 5c. I moved my family up to Scotland so we got to see proper winters and my word has it paid off... I bloody love it.:cold:

And it gets much better than this at times! Less so these days perhaps, but exceptional spells come now and then yet :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

nice trend CMD and backs up glacier point and Tamara with their thoughts of how the pattern may develop... maybe a tad sooner

well from what i can understand of their posts at times :cc_confused:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 minutes ago, edo said:

nice trend CMD and backs up glacier point and Tamara with their thoughts of how the pattern may develop... maybe a tad sooner

well from what i can understand of their posts at times :cc_confused:

Yer doing well if you can understand their posts!! There's sometimes the odd word or two I get, that's about it...

Lovely sparkly look to the snow tonight with the tiny flakes landing and staying - now -2C here. Beefy showers not expected on this side of the Black Isle any more.

<scratches head> where to take a camera tomorrow....?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Making super duper make sense is a help..

Thunderstorms in Pacific move from Indian Ocean Eastwards - every 30 -45 days - this is the oddity that is the MJO

It has 8 phases - the ones we need are phase 3 - annoys vortex and leads SSW by 30 days

Phase 6-7 - 15 days after the convection has been here we see a lagged effect to blocking 

For the Global wind stuff - this leads the MJO by 15-20 days - so you can figure out if the MJO is active how the GWO modifies it. i.e it will also give us clues whether we will have blocks or zonal flow

Then once u got that, check the strat to see if the trop vortex either interferes with what is predicted or supports it 

Right now out to day 10 we have the entire malevolent part of the vortex over in Siberia vs it's home over Baffiin.. Could be some cool negative AO and some proper blocking in the post.

Nina and the wind thing I mentioned gives a shot at a Scandi high

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

+96hrs on the 18z GFS:

20171209_221204.thumb.png.5de58f136903d4d32bae95754590ade5.png

It wouldn't be the biggest snow storm ever but it just highlights the potential for next week. The warm up never really happens in Scotland, unless you think 1 day at 4C is warm. A few tweaks and more of us get some snow, although perhaps not the far easties?

At last !

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

+96hrs on the 18z GFS:

It wouldn't be the biggest snow storm ever but it just highlights the potential for next week. The warm up never really happens in Scotland, unless you think 1 day at 4C is warm. A few tweaks and more of us get some snow, although perhaps not the far easties?

Well... that would work much better for some than others ;)  I've got my fingers crossed but in all honesty have pretty much given up on this particular 'spell' giving us here anything.  Not that I'm usually pessimistic, but when it comes to the snowflakes I've always found them elusive! :)

Tim

Posted
55 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

+96hrs on the 18z GFS:

Certainly some potential later this week to keep an eye on. GFS also showing a small feature from the North overnight into Monday before fizzling out. Wouldn't amount to any more than a dusting but better than heehaw :D In reality though stuff coming that direction is usually just about dead by the time it reaches the Forth and the chart backs that up I think.

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted

that would be right.... the snow when it comes will be whilst i sleep..... thats popped up relatively late into the models..... 

i just understand look east and scandi high HC..... 

not enough pics of bins in here tonight..... @More Snow show us yer wheelies if yer not too :drunk-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, edo said:

that would be right.... the snow when it comes will be whilst i sleep..... thats popped up relatively late into the models..... 

i just understand look east and scandi high HC..... 

not enough pics of bins in here tonight..... @More Snow show us yer wheelies if yer not too :drunk-emoji:

Bins hiding. New game - guess the car  car.thumb.jpg.257d40a7297777d5e8be0e4965bef9da.jpg and no, the wheels won't help as they're not OEM :whistling:

Also sloooowly drooping off the solar panels  panels.thumb.jpg.17674ab7d31590a6778308f040ddb1df.jpg

Damn chilly this evening, still getting the odd little flurry. Very crunchy underfoot.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted

ooooh tough one...... 

im gonna go a subaru levorg 

and a b and q 10x8 value see through shed 

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, edo said:

ooooh tough one...... 

im gonna go a subaru levorg 

and a b and q 10x8 value see through shed 

wtf is a levorg? sounds French, perhaps rude?

bedtime I think

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Have to admit, it's a thing of beauty seeing that big band of precipitation moving in, knowing it's going to dump a lot of snow somewhere. BBC news will have it as the top story through-out tomorrow I'd imagine with reporters dotted about at various hotspots  .... seeing as it's England and Wales ??IMG_7072.thumb.PNG.83d606097d8a89b1d4b456c182d4d8a4.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Not as cold here, but the current -4.1C is the coldest it's been since 12th March 2013. Being up on the hill we don't really get cold temperatures here, and never without snow cover, so it's impressive :)

14 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Really rather chilly here just now, -7.5

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 hours ago, Ruzzi said:

Have to admit, it's a thing of beauty seeing that big band of precipitation moving in, knowing it's going to dump a lot of snow somewhere. BBC news will have it as the top story through-out tomorrow I'd imagine with reporters dotted about at various hotspots  .... seeing as it's England and Wales ??IMG_7072.thumb.PNG.83d606097d8a89b1d4b456c182d4d8a4.PNG

It's newsworthy to be fair....and snowy images do make a lot of folk very happy. It NEVER happens in the Midlands any more, although when I grew up down there in the 70s and 80s we got decent falls of snow at least every two or three years.....but the schools never closed for snow alone. They only did so when the boilers broke.....which they always did :) I find it hilarious that schools in Brum closed the other day for a disruptive 1cm of snow. Sign of the times I suppose.

I'm excited for them, so I texted three of my relations in Warks / Gloucs yesterday asking "ARE YOU EXCITED!!??". None of them had a clue what I was talking about, so I grudgingly texted back telling them "Aaargh, snow's wasted on you lot!". That said, back in the day I never watched weather forecasts and I vividly remember that unbridled joy at pulling open the curtains in the morning and seeing that snow had magically appeared overnight, not knowing or expecting it to do so. I quite miss that :(

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 4

Posted

Tonight's little GFS feature has disappeared for the East but Thursday looking good. Expecting changes, upgrades, downgrades, unbridled joy and much gnashing of teeth before then :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Temperature was - 7.2C here when I checked about 20mins ago, and a low at some point of - 8.0C. Not too bad for early Dec, but nothing overly unusual for around here. 

There's going to be some good snow pics coming out from Southern/Central England, and Wales from the look of the weather  radar. . 

• Like 5

Posted

Not as cold as some but still the coldest morning of the winter so far at -4c with clear skies. No mud -bliss!!!!

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Edit: @101_North, the airport hit -9C as a minimum according to WeatherOnline. With no snow cover that's remarkably cold.

Wow! Hadn't noticed earlier! -9c at 5am! Serious cold! I tend to use the NOAA observations for current temps at the airport as, although lower down, is only a few miles away.

• Like 4

Posted

Good morning all,

Didn't get a massive amount of snowfall, but I'm still a happy bunny:).

-4c here currently and everything white even down to the shore.....................ooooh, I love snow:cold::yahoo:

• Like 5

Posted

I was just about to say the same thing, the -9c at Edinburgh without snow cover is impressive. I recall a -10c once at Glasgow Airport with no snow cover but freezing fog. However usually if it’s that cold in Scotland, there’s snow on the ground.

Dundee Riverside doesn’t seem to be reporting but -6c at Leuchars so a chilly start here too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just checked again and we're now down to - 9.0C. Lovely looking day out too, if you can brave the cold. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Temp slowly dropping here.   We are almost at -5c from -4.4c earlier on.   No snow of course for here but a good hard frost which is nice to see.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

No idea how cold here exactly but it's COLD! Harshest frost we've had for quite sometime

• Like 1