IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

superb HC

to be fair im happy for you

cracking pics 

Radar keeps threatening to give me decent wee showers... 

every one of them has been a phantom shower 

Edited by edo
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

im starting to get a bit 101

the green eyed snow envy monster within me is coming oot

suggested to wife we drive to aviemore tomorrow for sledging and then a chill out in the mcdonalds resort.... 

she suggests a drive to monikie park in monifeith dundee for festive activities 

no happy having just looked at aviemore webcams.... looking great  

A bit 101....I like it! For me so many snowless winters in Crail seem to have made me immune to snow envy. :D I have zero expectations. Having said that I may just head north a bit for a good walk tomorrow....

1c here in Dundee, wind still a bit gusty.

• Like 2

Posted

lol yes if i moved to crail my expectations would be rather low.... if the weather continues as the models are predicting then im sure we will get something as CMD said earlier 

Posted
24 minutes ago, edo said:

im starting to get a bit 101

the green eyed snow envy monster within me is coming oot

suggested to wife we drive to aviemore tomorrow for sledging and then a chill out in the mcdonalds resort.... 

she suggests a drive to monikie park in monifeith dundee for festive activities 

no happy having just looked at aviemore webcams.... looking great  

I'm in monikie. We also have snow! 1mm of dusting lying, but it is snow ;-)

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@edo @Hawesy @101_North @mardatha @Blitzen @Ruzzi @Cheggers and all the other snowless freaks likes me, if you're getting a little miffed then this may explain it. No snow so far and this is what the accumulated precip +48hrs chart looks like:

20171208_183517.thumb.png.9c55580a5fd012457103e67965664a9c.png

Oooops. We need to move :)

Now that's a snowshield :)  As Hawsey mentioned earlier... at least I'm not alone!  Fingers crossed that you are right Catch and those of us who are snow starved get a meal at some point next week :)

Tim

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Munter said:

I'm in monikie. We also have snow! 1mm of dusting lying, but it is snow ;-)

woooooo all over monikie now 

Posted
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@edo @Hawesy @101_North @mardatha @Blitzen @Ruzzi @Cheggers and all the other snowless freaks likes me, if you're getting a little miffed then this may explain it. No snow so far and this is what the accumulated precip +48hrs chart looks like:

lol what a mongooseing joke

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Catch, the snowshield seems to emanate from a centrepoint....your house.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, edo said:

lol what a mongooseing joke

is that anything like a Jaffa cake laminate floor joke?

We get phantom showers here too, they fizzle out from the north as they cross the Cromarty Firth, so it takes a pretty full-on northerly for us to get this sort of smothering. I measured 8cm of fresh uncompacted snow on the wheelie bin lid early afternoon. In sea level Inverness this afternoon, it was barely falling as snow at times, but there's a bit of cover there all the same.

Also I saw some fairly weird driving this afternoon - like Discos being driven at 30mph on slightly slushy roads, and small hatchbacks with their noses buried in either ditches or the verge. C'mon guys, this is the Highlands, learn to drive to the conditions.

• Like 5

Posted

and @More Snow can mongoose right aff :diablo:

all that research on where to live been expertly done :cold:

16 minutes ago, edo said:

and @More Snow can mongoose right aff :diablo:

all that research on where to live been expertly done :cold:

Ha ha ha ha... hit jackpot. will no doubt be times when its the other way round..:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
57 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I’m sure there was something similar in about 2012 that was actually worse. Out of the whole island of Great Britain it was only the Clyde Valley and coast that had no snow cover.

Posted
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

Blizzard raging outside massive fat flakes blowing around..

The radar suggests you may get buried tonight.  Make sure you can remember where the tinnies are... :blink2:

1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

The radar suggests you may get buried tonight.  Make sure you can remember where the tinnies are... :blink2:

cloud cover has gone a kind of orange colour, still have lightening flashes and thunder.. ive brought my beers inside so they don't get frost bite.:rofl:

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

That is quite ridiculous ?? As you say, I'd be amazed if we don't get some sort of a sniff in the next 10 days or so, possibly a snowy partial breakdown mid week, we shall see. I can't be too greedy I suppose as I did get a covering on the 25th of November

IMG_6877.thumb.PNG.ce73c88b062178c9997dc85f41c16657.PNG

Posted
2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

I’m sure there was something similar in about 2012 that was actually worse. Out of the whole island of Great Britain it was only the Clyde Valley and coast that had no snow cover.

Yep that rings true, I was training up in kinkardine for 10 weeks ( Jan - March 2012) and it was bone dry and absolutely freezing at times but never a drop of snow from what I can remember, even back home at shotts struggled for anything meaningful if I'm remembering correct. 

Was simialr in March 2013 also, England was crippled and we were dry for a large part of It but the snow did eventually come with a vengance with strong easterly gales and a cracking Forth - Clyde streamer set up one night (18th into the 19th of March 2013) giving us about 8 - 10 inches overnight with very decent drifting but yet 3-4 miles down the road in wishaw was about an inch or 2 and bellshill was just wet tarmac. This was the result: 

IMG_7059.thumb.PNG.850e77bd72e3d64fe9f092184e2dfb35.PNG

IMG_7057.thumb.PNG.18af7ba439eb416670e820cd8f6d4b7d.PNG

IMG_7058.thumb.PNG.d1c284c05ea0e244d4a67e32e83d0911.PNG

IMG_7060.thumb.PNG.238ac3114fa5db342695337ef701553c.PNG

IMG_7061.thumb.PNG.09e0cfc0629f3f8473eee503cc5723e8.PNG

IMG_7062.thumb.PNG.01f499844ee0ee29a66e3051a9557e5f.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I appear to be slap bang in the middle of some type of streamer looking at the radar. Almost constant snow for the last hour or two, but never really that heavy so not exactly being buried.

Posted

All this snow to my east must be giving off some heat as we have warmed up to 1.5c but no precipitation although cloudy so its a bit warmer tonight than it was during daylight hours.Currently 1.5c

Snow dog PC080920.thumb.JPG.1a5f765731e1e34b06d71119cb8c67ee.JPGenjoyed herself in spite of being on a lead to give stitches on her back time to knit (small skin lump removed as precaution by vet) Trying to keep a spaniel calm  and restrict movement for 12 days especially a young one is hard work.

• Like 4

Posted

The showers seem to have lost a bit of momentum in the last few hours so no more than the odd wee flurry has erm flurried since dusk.  Although I see the Knicker-sniffer claiming showers to continue into the morning. We'll see. :unsure2: 

Ms HC due home soon so off out to ambush her now :air_kiss:

Still chucking it down here, I must say that this is so far number 3 in my top snow events. end of March 2013 I was 300m asl in the peak district and we took one heck of a pasting, still had 6ft high snow drifts at the end of April so that is number 1, number 2 was Feb 1991 I was living in Essex at the time and it was my birthday week wow oh wow what a week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I hate northerlies they are so bloody boring for this area!   Snowshield intact as usual.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning !  Another dusting in Balmedie.   I’ve come to the conclusion that the only science involved in meterology is the law of the sod !!  6 years I’ve had 4x4s , never saw a flake..  the year I get a wee golf....?

• Like 1