Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
29 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Hello All

Blue skies here in Aberdeen albeit a tad on the windy side.  Havent seen a significant drop in temps..   yet...       Will be interesting if we see any of the white stuff overnight. 

Down to 4.9c inland here, a degree or so above the forecast. Still, the last shower that hit was a bit sleety. Not that I'm in a hurry for the temp to drop as if the forecast is right then after tonight it's not going to get above freezing again until Monday. 

Posted

Precipitation turned wintry for a time in the last shower - much earlier than expected. Really changeable conditions today now a sunny winter's afternoon after a dark morning. Not expecting much in terms of snow showers in this area but it's nice have some proper December cold after recent years. A really cold airmass over us for the next couple of days and oppurtunities for some snow as cold weather persists into next week and possibly beyond. Nothing exceptional but certainly much more interesting than recent years. 

The last time there was any measurable lying snow here in December was in 2012. The covering of snow at the end of last month and the beginning of last November are the only occasions snow has settled here before mid January since 2013. It's always nice to have some snow before (or after) the meteorological winter and to have a covering is a bonus if nothing exceptional - although the hefty snowfall to accompany it was impressive. The last two November's have been quite similar with a quiet atlantic and a fair bit of frost and some snow and potential for blocking in the models. The models in the last few weeks have been fascinating to watch. The outlook has varied between mid atlantic high and northerly topplers, to full on blocking and deep cold, to an amplified pattern and frequent cold incursions with the jet tracking south to heights over Europe and mild SWlys. The hemispheric set up has been intriguing aswell and how it evolves over the next couple of weeks will as we head towards the festive period (how the PV over Canada behaves will be of interest).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hmmm. temp dropped a bit but now just damned rain.

Right. I have a life to live!

I'll just add that the gritters mostly still seem to be partying in Inverness so Bear can't be thinking the roads will be getting snowy or icy just yet. Or maybe they're just saving their ammo for later.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
17 hours ago, ghoneym said:

Be as well posting a snow accumulation chart from ECM seeing as they are being used over on the MOD. For my Fife friends we will see some of the white stuff according to the latest run :cold: Screenshot_20171206-204139.thumb.png.4ed6b991cf1946bc0ab9cb5df0713a21.png

That’s a very strange map - there must be something in it as the Crail area is the only part of Fife without snow, however Dundee has been replaced by somewhere called Kozaksville!:nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic
17 minutes ago, Spindrift2017 said:

That’s a very strange map - there must be something in it as the Crail area is the only part of Fife without snow, however Dundee has been replaced by somewhere called Kozaksville!:nea:

:yahoo:never noticed this before! Hahaha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Got soaked to the skin twice today once at Heriot and once at the BGH. Sunny and windy in between!

Posted
19 minutes ago, aggy said:

If this transpired I’ll eat my hat 8 cm for coastal Ayr hmmmm lol ? 

anyhoo wet and windy the now 

631DBED2-C218-4C99-A2CE-165E7BA59582.png

What website is that from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, WillinGlossop said:

Kilmarnock Central Primary School, P3/4. They're practicing for their December calendar pictures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
41 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Time for random charts from models you didn't know existed and will never use for 364 days a year. Can someone think of a catchier name for this game?

20171207_144115.thumb.png.6cd9aebd22521183c40cda3fc611beca.png

'mon the snow

One day wowzers!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Milder here in Oslo today. 4c and pish.

En route to airport for a flight tae Scotland in search of proper snaw.:wink:

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a bit of wind now in Shetland (and that's just me) blowing hard probably around the 70-80mph mark. Just rain at the moment.

Not sure on Temperature, but it does feel colder than the 6' previously, possibly the wind chill.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
2 hours ago, ghoneym said:

Screenshot_20171207-133741.thumb.png.750d16bb2d90ec98ace3cd21c7628008.png 

Some current netatmo temps for Scotland, dosnt look cold enough for snow anywhere! tbf most of these things arn't calibrated correctly 

Well maybe Inverness but certainly not Aberdeen! Weird

Snow not forecast to evening - we're all undergoing a horrid freezing damp transition at the moment! Sleet here at 2.6'C

• Like 3

Posted

GFS 12z coming out. Sundays low is still sitting south which seems to be the trend.

prectypeuktopo.png

Catch might just about be lucky!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
44 minutes ago, 101_North said:

GFS 12z coming out. Sundays low is still sitting south which seems to be the trend.

prectypeuktopo.png

Catch might just about be lucky!

And me :-) 

I'd take that

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

For what its worth I think the GFS is overdoing the jetstream strength and thats causing the track of the slider to veer southward more on the 12z run. IMO the operational run is wrong and the track of the low and snow will be borders / central Scotland as high as Perthshire. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, WillinGlossop said:

It’s an app called Ventusky it’s ok will see it will tested over the next few days 

Posted
10 minutes ago, ghoneym said:

For what its worth I think the GFS is overdoing the jetstream strength and thats causing the track of the slider to veer southward more on the 12z run. IMO the operational run is wrong and the track of the low and snow will be borders / central Scotland as high as Perthshire. 

I hope your correct 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Got soaked to the skin twice today once at Heriot and once at the BGH. Sunny and windy in between!

Hope the appt. at BGH went well though.

• Like 1