BlueHedgehog074

Posted
52 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I'm happy with this...:cold::drunk-emoji::yahoo:

imageproxy.gif

I'd be happy with this too - not that I believe any of it yet :wink:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

I'd be happy with this too - not that I believe any of it yet :wink:

I'll be throwing toys around :angry: I think, if I'm reading the chart correctly 

Edited by snowidea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@CatchMyDrift - if the wind's stronger, it brings the cold in quicker, and even more importantly, might hurry the snowy showers across the hills!

A pretty dull and dreich day in Lochaber today. At least it was bloody mild. Hmmf.

Posted

Watery sunshine, nae wind, lots of low cloud, mild, a few light showers and rainbows, today. The changing landscapes were magnificent. I love this neck of the woods.

However, I am keeping an eye on the analyses for later this week.

Spelve.thumb.jpg.fe5d0317618b1064baf246f00a0dc7ba.jpg

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The UKMO has rolled up a tight old low pressure for Thursday for the north of Scotland while the GFS kinda doesn't bother as much with it. The UKMO version is a pretty severe storm:

20171204_180022.thumb.png.202f65321619ec29dbef4ec310541b7f.png20171204_175114.thumb.png.eda807443864613b1f708a7106105dc5.png

20171204_180046.thumb.png.15871e765e39d5da7770e0259dfffa2c.png20171204_175142.thumb.png.ad7a6032b4b820b7b4462f3d687ea509.png

Waw!!!!!! Latest ECM is an utter blaster:

20171204_180952.thumb.png.e3acff066a7677145aa512f58b2bf0cb.png

20171204_181038.png.4dceaee394a1ecb2bab5698ac54a240e.png

Forget the cold spell for now, if that comes out as shown by the ECM then you'd better all get strapped down up there! 

20171204_180952.png

OMG I'm bang in trouble if that comes close to happening like that. best make sure the beer fridge is well stocked up in advance...lol

Posted
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It was originally forecast to go quite far south with blizzards (for me but not @101_North). The further south the better but I can't see it coming far enough south to suit me...maybe good enough for you?

I have no idea. When it comes to snow, I look at forecasts on the day and then watch the radar.  I spose I should see some here, and you too, but much less I'd say. There, that'll have jinxed my chances and boosted yours. Oh, and @More Snow will get utterly pasted and will be posting photos of massive drifts for the next week :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, More Snow said:

OMG I'm bang in trouble if that comes close to happening like that. best make sure the beer fridge is well stocked up in advance...lol

Good point re the beer. I'll add that to my job list for tomorrow.:whistling:

• Like 1

Posted

Was thinking the same @Hairy Celt regarding the winds, I love drifts as much as the next person but you can't beat snow that just parks the bus on top of you. Interesting end of week nonetheless :) I'm meant to be heading south on Friday for the weekend but I'm thinking these plans may be sunk by a lust for weather watching shaped torpedo *oops

Posted
9 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Was thinking the same @Hairy Celt regarding the winds, I love drifts as much as the next person but you can't beat snow that just parks the bus on top of you. Interesting end of week nonetheless :) I'm meant to be heading south on Friday for the weekend but I'm thinking these plans may be sunk by a lust for weather watching shaped torpedo *oops

Lol if anything like what's being forecast actually happens, you're going nowhere!! Get your beers in now man.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

im useless at looking at these chats lol but what would this cold spell mean down in central belt? could this be as bad as 2010 in cold wise or snow?

I'm off to cost co in the morning. ive already got a ton bag of logs 80kg of coal in the garage a freezer full of bread and meat, cupboards are jam packed with tins etc, so its just beer to get, might treat Mrs Snow to a bottle of wine or 2. then I'm ready. bring on the freeze...:cold:

Posted

Thing with the beer, when it's cold and snowy you keep the beer outside, hidden behind the coal shed or similar.* So when it's snowing, you have the excuse to go out and watch the snow and have another crafty tinny, ready chilled. Only gets awkward when the thaw comes and you have to find someone to blame for all the empty tinnies lying around.

*It's always possible that Ms More Snow will choose to hide her extra wine bottles in the same place.

I'm lucky to have my bin at the side of the garage and she never goes near it. she doesn't hide her Buckie bottles so I take them to the same bin I put my tins in.

Posted
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

I'm lucky to have my bin at the side of the garage and she never goes near it. she doesn't hide her Buckie bottles so I take them to the same bin I put my tins in.

Sounds like you're pretty safe to keep the spare booze in full view anyway :rofl: :drunk:

Posted

You beat me to it HC, enough snow for a token beer fridge beside the doorstep would be nice, oh and the power staying on to post pics and waffle p*sh on here would be preferable too 

• Like 1

Posted

There's 2 options for this upcoming 'cold' snap:

1 - Wait until the end of the week and dismiss it as rubbish.

2 - Dismiss it as rubbish on Monday evening therefore saving frustration, disappointment and a fierce bad mood.

I'm taking option 2 :D

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Wondering if, firstly this cold spell is going to amount to much at all, then will the NW angle of attack favour Glasgow?

We're very sheltered when it comes to anything from the North, but the west in general is how we always get drenched when it's rain.

That is of course before we consider the possible need for height if we are to see any snow. A lot of forecasts I am seeing still place emphasis on dry and sunny weather, which is nice enough. A lot of the forecasts also *still* can't make their mind up between daytime maxima that suggest nothing unusual (about 3-5c) or something interesting (about 1c or below)

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted

Hello all. 

Don't really post much but have lurked for several years now.  Thought I'd contribute my thoughts on the upcoming 'cold' spell.

Sadly, at least for my location, the BBC ain't buying it, and thus neither am I.  I'm constantly amazed by their complete determination to never forecast snow at all (even though I totally understand it!), and they have us down for 'bright blazing sunshine' as I call it for both Thursday and Friday....  the words 'isolated snow showers' do appear... but unfortunately when it comes to snow, I'll believe it when  I see it :) 

Best of luck to others though, especially those who live in the favoured areas!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Hello all. 

Don't really post much but have lurked for several years now.  Thought I'd contribute my thoughts on the upcoming 'cold' spell.

Sadly, at least for my location, the BBC ain't buying it, and thus neither am I.  I'm constantly amazed by their complete determination to never forecast snow at all (even though I totally understand it!), and they have us down for 'bright blazing sunshine' as I call it for both Thursday and Friday....  the words 'isolated snow showers' do appear... but unfortunately when it comes to snow, I'll believe it when  I see it :) 

Best of luck to others though, especially those who love in the favoured areas!

Tim

Love in the favoured areas?? sounds like a film I saw once...:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

my favoured area is not greedy.... it jut wants a couple of inches.... enough to sledge on..... its all i want is my youngest to see their first proper snow.... ive been saying it for four years so please for the love of snow make it the last winter i need to say it..... we dont normally do well in N winds but this does look different and like a few troughs may develop...... im liking a lot of the far flung reaches of runs hinting at an easterly..... that would do nicely if we got a prooer one.... bits of the west has been best the last few years  

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I think it'll be a fabby cold spell, if you live about 250 miles north-west sort of from the blue spot (my house):

20171204_193621.thumb.png.3769a070f610cbd3a0feb73d3f173767.png

You, my friend, are also pretty much stuffed. So will it be a noisy angry bad mood or a quiet huffy bad mood for us?

Getting a bit pedantic here, but that looks like a few miles off the west coast of Lewis. I hope we don't all have to convert an old coaster to get our fix.

Posted
26 minutes ago, edo said:

...... im liking a lot of the far flung reaches of runs hinting at an easterly..... that would do nicely if we got a prooer one....

Unlike this weekend the potential Easterly being modelled is a 100% nailed on certainty!

(I'm out of the country for the dates of the latest runs :wallbash:)

Posted

Fine dry  day again with little or no wind but overcast . Lfting some turnips today to get a store in for the winter as ground conditions are much better now. .

Also got a soil sample from the last ploughed field which has been in grass for four years. Crossing the soft ploughing on foot reminded me I did the same job at the begining of the November 2010 cold outbreak .It was about 11.00am  and I remember watching the ploughing dry very fast behind the plough. All of sudden I realised the ground was becoming easier to walk on .As the sky got clearer  it was actually freezing up in front of me not usually seen as you approach the warmest part of the day. The strength of cold coming across us had  all the ground with a  frozen crust on it by dusk.

Currntly 6c

• Like 3