Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

March 2006 remember loading newly lifted neeps out of a pit and had to dig the snow off to reach the neeps. Stunningly  cold  wind here with the odd flurry and a snow shower coming in off the Firth just now. Currently 1.5c.

Spot on. Just looked back at my work archive and can find the report I was trying to write that month and it all comes flooding back. Maudlin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Hame tae the finest coating of dandruff.

I understand the Geordies are getting a pasting just down the road. Can see it if I look SE. :closedeyes:

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Road sign at Nairn this  evening saying that A939  Cockbridge-Tomintoul road is blocked tonight and its still only autumn just. Its been a bad November  for the farm with no ploughing for a fortnight and fields just bogs. Calves very happy inside now racing up and down the fold when their mothers are out at neeps in the mud and their mothers come in very quickly when they finish their strip of neeps because of the wet and mud. Currently clear  1c and a ground frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The fact that the forecast snow is less than a week away suggests that it's maybe worth keep an eye on. Some very significant snow fall is possible.

However the models are very volatile at the moment so may be best to wait until about 72-98 hours out before looking at the finer details should the snow continue to be forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'd give up the whole of the rest of winter for this:

Screenshot_20171201-123403.thumb.png.6b4521d9bce308a05f460cdf1d05836a.png

I'd rather have that than anything at all for Xmas...please Santa???

Braemar has clearly been a nice boy.

Screenshot_20171201-135457.png

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

What's the forecast app you're using?

(Just so I can get in on the Fantasy Forecast Fun *FFF) :)

Just the xcweather forecast via mobile. I've never actually checked but I assume it just uses raw GFS data.

• Like 1

Posted

A cold start, very slightly milder (if 4C counts as mild?) by mid afternoon. The cloud thickened through the day where I was working, then this little window opened on the way home - this by one of the lochans near the road from Drum to Beauly. Nice spot for pictures with hills, trees, water etc. I should spend a day with a camera staggering through the heather one day over the winter.

sunset.thumb.jpg.f92642a72092c6f13e96677d435d8287.jpg

The next cold snap looks far from certain. I'll hibernate for a few days before then.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

That looks like Cul na Kirk? If it is, I smashed my car driving over it one wild and snowy morning...:cold-emoji:

Posted
26 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That looks like Cul na Kirk? If it is, I smashed my car driving over it one wild and snowy morning...:cold-emoji:

Yup. I followed a gritter over the other morning. Not through choice, just couldn't get past the fkr. He wasn't even 'spreading'.

Posted

Quite a different day from yesterday, here, ( NW coast) instead of sliding on ice, it was a case of slipping on wet oak leaves. 

Today It was very grey and misty from mid-morning, but although the temp was a fairly constant 4C with a very light wind, it felt not too bad.

Whatever the weather, the scenery is great. One from yesterday:-

5a21aac4c32ec_RhumBW02.thumb.jpg.a693466fc179c59ed3bf76bbcbfcbdca.jpg Rhum, I think.

• Like 7

Posted

Ploughing again today a grass field the last field,a few dry above jobs lined up for the next few days. Had a  short drain jetted to clear   a pond in a field and cleared the pond in 24 hours and the weather dries up a bit so probably  worth the money. Currently overcast and 6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Couldn’t resist a download of the Xx weather app! 

Looks very interesting for later next week, can we actually get some snow this far south and east?? 

Hoping the ecm firms up along with gfs and ukmo, fingers and toes are crossed for something good. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, after a brief mildish interlude next week does hold some promise.

That's quite a plunge envisaged for ETA the 7th.

t850Midlothian.png

ecmt850.144.png

Associated fronts could be fun.

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Don't mind so much the frost has gone the morn as I need tae wash the car. Covered in salt as usual. Taking a layer of ice off first isn't ideal.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oh please god not Thursday, it can snow 24/7 all week after Thurs! We have a very scary appt at the BGH on Thursday and it would cause huge stress if we had to miss it

Edited by mardatha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Going to Aviemore next Tues-Friday with the gf.

It's a case of careful what you wish for as initially I was like 'nooooo' with maxes of 8c and then the forecast yesterday was for some light snow on Thurs and that was perfect but now it looks wet all Wed turns to snow Thursday and doesn't stop. 

I'm aiming to be out in Glasgow Friday night but that may be subject to me being able to actually get there.... 

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

A very pleasant day.  6c in light winds and sunny spells.

The models do keep coming back to the idea of a cold spell later next week. Not that I look at them, of course.:D

Posted
2 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Going to Aviemore next Tues-Friday with the gf.

It's a case of careful what you wish for as initially I was like 'nooooo' with maxes of 8c and then the forecast yesterday was for some light snow on Thurs and that was perfect but now it looks wet all Wed turns to snow Thursday and doesn't stop. 

I'm aiming to be out in Glasgow Friday night but that may be subject to me being able to actually get there.... 

You driving or taking the train? You'll be fine if its the latter - Highland mainline can take a lot of snow!

Posted

Seen the sun here for about 5 minutes today not as nice or as cold as it was a few days ago but that could well change again very soon ;)

Posted

Here's a GFS chart worth sharing - and it's only T+120... :cold-emoji::shok::whistling:

2017-12-02 06z T+120 850s+ppn.png

• Like 1