Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I can't even remember any east coast skank (haar) this autumn? Any other easties had any?

Complete lack of haar here as well. Actually think November wasn't too bad here. Last week was wet and not great but otherwise plenty of cold frosty days and plenty of sun. Even saw some falling snow albeit brief. Certainly not the worst November I can remember. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Some potential for us Easties later this week.

ecmt850.072.png ecmt850.096.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Meto 5 day

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Staying cold and windy, with showers becoming increasingly focused across the east of the UK. Coldest on Thursday, with snow possible to low levels. Plenty of sunshine elsewhere. Frosty nights.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

Posted

Well another very wet evening. Been speaking to a couple of other local farmers of the same vintage as me and we have all never seen the ground so wet in this area. The local monitor farm near Elgin has also measured a years rainfall in the last five months and we still have December to go. Currently 3c

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
1 hour ago, scottish skier said:

Some potential for us Easties later this week.

Latest BBC forecast certainly suggested the wind being slightly more NE'ly which could help here. If it's a straight N'ly or NW'ly then no danger. Even a slight easterly element can make a big difference to showers reaching here. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Damp and drizzly down the Glen today with sleety stuff occasionally and little wind, max of 4C. Could have been worse, sounds like it was for @Northernlights... There's still bits of snow down at little more than sea level well inland although thawing at least up to about 400m.

This is looking west across Loch Lochy from near Letterfinlay.  5a1c8e706ae6e_LochLochy.thumb.jpg.fff68c466a7859c4cbed08b1be7c7a82.jpg

So cold and possibly snowy in the east for a couple of days then mild again, is that it? Hmmm.  Looks about right for December.

The Beeb man says it's going to get a lot colder but I'm still seeing forecast maxes of about 3C. How's that a lot colder? I've not seen above 4C for several days now.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

I see the model thread might possibly be hinting at a cold high and not raging blizzards. I for one would be very happy with this just to start drying up the ground as walking around in six inches of mud is not very exciting. Farm road is breaking up badly with the continuous wet and will have to take  a  digger in to alter the camber to drain the water off it as huge potholes are now appearing.

• Like 1

Posted

So if we're doing 2010 memories here's 22 inches of level snow in the back garden! A true 'once in a lifetime' snow event :D

post-19099-0-42540900-1418241238_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

I'll just jump onto the reminiscence of 2010, we just seemed to be in the sweet spot for the Forth-Clyde streamer here and got snowfall every day for 7 days in a row, before it abated for a few days prior to another huge dumping on the day of the mate chaos. In the very first picture, I cleared the top of the bin and courtesy of the Forth-Clyde streamer, the snowfall on top of the bin was in the space of a 9 hour overnight period. I believe some areas of Livingston and West Lothian received well over 10 inches that evening. Absolutely amazing weather only trumped by the snowstorm of February 2001 where we received 50cm of level snow overnight but the drifts were as deep as bungalows where we could walk straight up onto the roofs and walk over snowdrifts that had completely buried transit vans. Most incredible snow I have ever seen and most likely won't see anything like it again..... until Dec 17 ofcourse 

IMG_6907.PNG

IMG_6908.PNG

IMG_6909.PNG

IMG_6910.PNG

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Look at my avatar - that is a four-and-a-half foot high wooden coalbox and that pic was taken then. It lay for 5 weeks here without even trying to melt. I'm 5ft tall and I could only take one step in the back garden then I fell flat on my face in it lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Don't know about snow, but we've had a lot of sleet and hail showers. Damned cauld an' a', currently 3.3c with a vicious wind. Warmer by the weekend by the looks of things, temps up to 8c. Whew!

bbc has my location down for 26 hours of snow from 1pm tomorrow.... that cant be right can it? been a very wintry day here today with heavy sleet and hail showers one of which turned everything white for a short while

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Went north today. The A9 is still wet, some slushy stuff north of Helmsdale.

I took this picture from a point soon after the A9 heads north inland towards Thurso. No apologies for the turbines, although if it was me designing the layout, I wouldn't put them in lines. There's a ruined house hiding on the moor too - not sure what it's called but it's pretty isolated.

5a1d9e500fabf_ScarabenandMorven.thumb.jpg.b4864433035a330df1a1bc357e74eddd.jpg

Snow coming or not? Doesn't feel snowy, although there were rain showers on and off today and the temp is due to drop. We shall see...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The suggestion that any long term cold spell has been trashed by the models is also verified by my phone weather app (the one that comes with the iPhone) and is probably the most reliable of sources if I’m honest. Max temps 8 and min temps 4 is the norm next week. Ach well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here a few showers in the afternoon with a cold Northerly breeze but nothing wintry yet. (It was iicy first thing)

Meanwhile 7 years  ago today 12 hours of thunder snow beginning around 3AM. Would love to see something like that again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aff tae a better stairt than last year.

Mon the borders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-42150508

Glencoe Mountain opens for snowsports

Glencoe Mountain has become the first of Scotland's mountain outdoor snowsports centres to open for skiing and snowboarding for the new season.

The centre said it had enough snow to make available some of its runs that are accessed by chair and ski lifts.

CairnGorm Mountain, Nevis Range and Lecht hope to be able to open soon with the help of expected further falls of snow.

Glenshee said it has enough snow at the moment for sledging.

The first of Scotland's outdoor snowsports centres to open for the new season was Lowther Hills Ski Area in the south of Scotland.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

EEEEEEKKKK! What's the chances of this coming off then?

h500slp3I9LEIRM.png

h500slpKU2P1FYE.png

Posted

Had a few snow showers rattling past today and yesterday but not really sticking to much, cover has depleted but is largely intact, track to the house has been a bit of an icy slushfest so better dust off the lycra, sequins and skates for when that freezes over the next couple of days. 0c