Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Covering of snow Rheanbreck this morning and again this evening. Ten minutes up the road towards Crask it was great fun walking the hound

Deep snow near Crask, Highlands today.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Woke up this morning to a covering of wet snow on the car windscreens and the grass. Surprisingly the stuff on the grass was still there to an extent when I got home. Also most of the higher ground around has a white cap. 

Winter is here, hopefully it'll hang around for a change. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I had a funny feeling when I woke up this morning... something wasn't quite right... it was snowing and just about settling, which is pretty unusual for November. So off down the road at half seven, to find the roads clear but half blocked by muppets driving at 35mph. Hmm, time to find the back roads today. Took no longer than usual to get to Fort Augustus, with a nice snowy patch going over the Aird. Then down in at sea level in the Great Glen, there was nothing but rain, although late afternoon I got good views of a snowy Ben down by Fort William.  More snow coming home over the Aird again but nothing now at home.

The forecast looks very interesting for the next ... week??

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
24 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

I had a funny feeling when I woke up this morning... something wasn't quite right... it was snowing and just about settling, which is pretty unusual for November. So off down the road at half seven, to find the roads clear but half blocked by muppets driving at 35mph. Hmm, time to find the back roads today. Took no longer than usual to get to Fort Augustus, with a nice snowy patch going over the Aird. Then down in at sea level in the Great Glen, there was nothing but rain, although late afternoon I got good views of a snowy Ben down by Fort William.  More snow coming home over the Aird again but nothing now at home.

The forecast looks very interesting for the next ... week??

Sounds like you might have missed the snow between 8:30 until 11 or so (certainly looked white down to sea level on the Black Isle).

A brief fleeting affair (though a little more to come over the next 24 hours?) - early doors yet and hopefully the first of many! 

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Sounds like you might have missed the snow between 8:30 until 11 or so (certainly looked white down to sea level on the Black Isle).

A brief fleeting affair (though a little more to come over the next 24 hours?) - early doors yet and hopefully the first of many! 

Snowing lightly here just now, but the sky's mostly clear, temp is about 0.5C.  The car that didn't move today is covered in thick frozen slush.

Ms HC said it snowed a bit more after I left. Not enough settled for sledging though.

• Like 2

Posted

Still a fair bit of snow remaining especially on north facing sheltered areas and there have  been some further light snow showers tonight. Currently 1c.

Tried to get a close up of Ben Wyvis at Connon Bridge this afternoon and you can just see it peeking out of another snow shower. PB230910.thumb.JPG.9c6db9b62a305c5a50454b9909508f1d.JPG A really very wintry sky.  On the drive up it seems we were one of  the snowiest low ground areas today although as Northern Rab says the Black Isle was  very white right down to sea level including the cliffs in the early morning. 

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

They have let my sledging hill overgrow with 5ft weeds so no doubt we will get sledge levels of snow this season for first time in three years.... Fingers crossed 

mt obsessed by uppers.... Charts look great for time of year......get the cold in  and we can worry about will it won't it snow etc etc 

Great to see some getting snow already

• Like 2

Posted
42 minutes ago, edo said:

They have let my sledging hill overgrow with 5ft weeds so no doubt we will get sledge levels of snow this season for first time in three years.... Fingers crossed 

mt obsessed by uppers.... Charts look great for time of year......get the cold in  and we can worry about will it won't it snow etc etc 

Great to see some getting snow already

Strim it now. Or don't; the torment or making a decision.

Under cross-examination, Ms HC revealed that there was some sledging here today. And I bloody missed it. Wage slave. Beer's open though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

My extension cord will not stretch the 800metres required......may need to go buy a petrol version 

I am holding out hope the sheer depth and weight of snow squeezes the weeds down

One can dream

Beer also open...... If only there was some lampost watching to do

Posted

Nicely snowing in killearn and settling. Could be in for a few inches today 

• Like 1

Posted

Cold, frosty, blue sky and it's Friday! Not much to grumble about this morning!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

V cold this morning in Stirling. Few tiny flakes stuff to surfaces.

Cold enough for snow yet the radar shows a juicy band missing us just a few miles to the south (cries).

My trip home down the M74 could be interesting tonight at 5-7pm, i'd imagine quite snowy

• Like 1

Posted

We too have our lowest temp and first air frost - just! Min -0.5C, currently -0.2C. Or so says the thermometer I trust...

A light sprinkling earlier has therefore stuck and all looks pretty. I'm looking at the radar, thinking 'come to daddy...'

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

V cold this morning in Stirling. Few tiny flakes stuff to surfaces.

Cold enough for snow yet the radar shows a juicy band missing us just a few miles to the south (cries).

My trip home down the M74 could be interesting tonight at 5-7pm, i'd imagine quite snowy

Must be more than a few miles, as nothing here other than a hard frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
6 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Must be more than a few miles, as nothing here other than a hard frost.

By a few miles I don't mean me to the other side of town ie puregym.

I mean Airdrie/Cumbernauld (I assume looking at the radar). Met office prediction for 11am (see image) sums it up

image.png

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

By a few miles I don't mean me to the other side of town ie puregym.

I mean Airdrie/Cumbernauld (I assume looking at the radar). Met office prediction for 11am (see image) sums it up

image.png

Yep I take it back, it is now snowing. :)

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Yep I take it back, it is now snowing. :)

That band typically split in 2 here  so we've missed anything more than a flurry! Ah well, next band behind it might give a heavier shower. 

Edited by Ross B

Posted

I like what I see, wasn't expecting the precipitation to be quite so beefy 

IMG_6857.PNG

Posted

Smattering of wet snow this morning at sea level at Kylerhea, Skye this morning. Went to Portree yesterday and all the high ground fairly well covered. 1C going over the moor. Hills looking beautiful today.

• Like 3