Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If the current GFS is showing us reality for next week, some of us are going to have our roofs tested, never mind our coats.  Looks like one band of heavy slow moving rain after another making its way west to east every day from Monday onwards, wintry too on high ground. Get ready.

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/14/2017 at 12:00, Jo Farrow said:

okay I've asked Transport Scotland tee hee

It looks like Doncaster are one step ahead with the naming of their gritters. 'Spready Mercury' and 'David Plowie' are the current favourites. :D:cold:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/spready-mercury-and-david-plowie-lead-competition-to-name-gritters-2160385

Posted

Looking like the lowlands getting the worst of it if you believe those charts

Posted
7 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

If the current GFS is showing us reality for next week, some of us are going to have our roofs tested, never mind our coats.  Looks like one band of heavy slow moving rain after another making its way west to east every day from Monday onwards, wintry too on high ground. Get ready.

It’s quite possible for it to fall to low levels across parts of Scotland first words from the MetO.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, chemikal said:

It looks like Doncaster are one step ahead with the naming of their gritters. 'Spready Mercury' and 'David Plowie' are the current favourites. :D:cold:

http://www.nme.com/news/music/spready-mercury-and-david-plowie-lead-competition-to-name-gritters-2160385

David Plowie doesn't even rhyme with David Bowie and Spready Mercury is just naff... :( 

Best left alone after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
On 16/11/2017 at 20:38, Hairy Celt said:

Hope you get something like this...  cuillin3.thumb.jpg.d403c2977358b623159fec2b1b423408.jpg 

I've yet to have Skye fail to please.  Except when there are so many people you can't move, as @mistyqueen will no doubt confirm. Perhaps a week of horizontal rain would be a bit of a bummer too...

Fortunately no rain forecast this weekend so Frogesque in for a wee treat! Cold here this morning, but skies are clear. Weather station in the huff and not playing these days. Batteries have been in and out of the damn thing so often over last week. Think I'll disconnect everything and maybe talk the OH into putting up last year's Xmas pressie ....... Yes, a new weather station! Nae need tae rush, box still doesn't have that much dust on it yet!

Edited by mistyqueen

Posted

Bitter out this morn, -0.7c with a wee breeze. Heavy rain last night which must have turned to snow (briefly) at some point early morn, only a shower or so though, evidence of which has been frozen to all surfaces

Edited by Northern Strath
Butter fingers, posted too soon

Posted

Looks like 100mm rain for many places and much more for a few places over the next week, then it turns a bit wintry perhaps. Need good tyres and a sense of humour.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Looks like 100mm rain for many places and much more for a few places over the next week, then it turns a bit wintry perhaps. Need good tyres and a sense of humour.

Just  dom"t need any more rain as ground is saturated

Finally got pneumonia vaccine for calves late yesterday so took cows and calves in today through fields that are just bogs. Hope it now now stays at a  steady cool temperature as big fluctuations in temperature are what leads to pneumonia outbreaks.

A photo of them in the fold tonight PB180900.thumb.JPG.b2a5c32e94ad9e123ac1270156e7e11c.JPGsorry its a bit grainy but they are very comfortable looking!. I think the weather from mid summer till now has been the most challanging I have seen and most farmers will want to forget this year.

• Like 7

Posted
On 11/18/2017 at 08:55, mistyqueen said:

Fortunately no rain forecast this weekend so Frogesque in for a wee treat! Cold here this morning, but skies are clear. Weather station in the huff and not playing these days. Batteries have been in and out of the damn thing so often over last week. Think I'll disconnect everything and maybe talk the OH into putting up last year's Xmas pressie ....... Yes, a new weather station! Nae need tae rush, box still doesn't have that much dust on it yet!

taken from the front door of our wee cottage at Kylerhea a few minutes ago looking over the kyle to the mainland. Chilly but beautiful weather and the dog loves the beach!

skye01.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Never seen such changeable forecasts every six hours next week looked wet for three days then dry to up for the last few days and now it seems we may get heavy wet snow nearly every day. Good job we manage to get a few loads of turnips up for the inside cattle last Friday afternoon. Currently dull and 5c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

GFS wants to give 20cm of snow here in a week's time. 

Now, that's never going to happen, but it does go to show that a lot can happen in a polar maritime / northerly flow so an open mind is needed. 

And winters not even in yet :cold:

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
5 hours ago, CoastRainbow said:

Morning , cold walk up Loch Thom today anyone know name of this frost ? 

23B5F85A-CDF2-4412-ADE1-3FD4382CE573.jpeg

C50BAC51-F967-4227-804B-8EAB99FDD13C.jpeg

Yep, it's called hair ice and is produced when water is forced out of tiny pores in the surface of dead wood, and the water freezes on contact with the subzero air. It's apparently the result of fungi within the wood producing carbon dioxide, which increases the pressure inside. Weird eh? I've attached a close up that shows how fine the 'hairs' are.

P1050216.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
2 hours ago, Benvironment said:

Yep, it's called hair ice and is produced when water is forced out of tiny pores in the surface of dead wood, and the water freezes on contact with the subzero air. It's apparently the result of fungi within the wood producing carbon dioxide, which increases the pressure inside. Weird eh? I've attached a close up that shows how fine the 'hairs' are.

P1050216.jpg

I despise this stuff - beautiful though it is, it creeps me out personally.

Hoar > hair.

Its a philosophy that's served me well in life thus far.

Do not I repeat do not go into the MOT its all going off tonight... WAA into the pole, split vortex, mid atlantic ridge, wave 2 wave 3 all sorts of stuff and ive just seen the first December is over for cold and snow post. middle of November and the rest of the year is being written off...

Posted
2 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

I despise this stuff - beautiful though it is, it creeps me out personally.

Hoar > hair.

Its a philosophy that's served me well in life thus far.

Have you seen that film where there's a wee girl whose face is covered by hair? it doesn't end well, and it's scary as anything. Might be Japanese :unsure2:. Not especially weather-related.

Erm anyway, it's raining here now. Loudly cos we have plastic sheeting covering recently painted woodwork. Fortunately, as usual, the forecast has backed off from the biblical amounts of rain to something more late autumnally appropriate. Just incessant and heavy, sometimes.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
21 hours ago, frogesque said:

taken from the front door of our wee cottage at Kylerhea a few minutes ago looking over the kyle to the mainland. Chilly but beautiful weather and the dog loves the beach!

skye01.jpg

I think I know which cottage you refer to! The wee one right by the ferry slipway perchance? If so, it's a wee cracker and very cosy! Pity the weather has taken a turn for the worse now, we had horizontal rain here last night, calmed down a bit now, but not looking great for the rest of the week. 6.1c at present and dreich with it.

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

Snow storm anyone? 

90D50E82-EF4A-4B8B-9546-BA4FE761ACC2.thumb.jpeg.5b011b3d9c17e6e6e46d2c361c4f6c5e.jpeg32FB5939-CA0B-490E-8BC9-451DB022FAA6.thumb.jpeg.30be324dbd8bf5833ac04bba43c0d6e3.jpegC64D8C08-7F8F-4E27-BC59-747FB407176F.thumb.jpeg.f230c21ac2d748b2dcee17f5ae710c6b.jpeg

Mmmmm....! Have there been any organisms in the MT this morning?  The overnight GFS looked quite pretty but I spect it'll have gone tits up by now.

We got 20mm rain last night, now cleared out and there's a pale sun appearing. Big puddles everywhere.

• Like 1

Posted

Dull, dreich and damp all day but can’t complain after what has been a lovely November thus far over here. Besides it looks like the sun may return later in the week along with colder air again. :)

Posted
10 hours ago, mistyqueen said:

I think I know which cottage you refer to! The wee one right by the ferry slipway perchance? If so, it's a wee cracker and very cosy! Pity the weather has taken a turn for the worse now, we had horizontal rain here last night, calmed down a bit now, but not looking great for the rest of the week. 6.1c at present and dreich with it.

Close but along the beach a couple of hundred yards or so. Mostly grey and wet today so extra logs on the burner and just lazing about in between walking the dog.

• Like 1