Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

A cold gusty northerly this morning made north facing rooms indoors cold, and being out of doors quite unpleasant despite clear skies and sunshine.

One or two passing rain showers during the afternoon provided a lovely rainbow. Temp 6C at present and the wind has dropped.

5a087e6c3d3df_rainbow04.thumb.jpg.65a08c5088f9d70e32ab839633c2c32a.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

A couple of seasonal photos.Several holly trees are absolutely loaded with berries.20171112_145632.thumb.jpg.7b84e14ac6f5fb938e613d28e80bb4de.jpg

A couple of wintry showers to the east.20171112_141203.thumb.jpg.346a393721a7dc5a43c1272fdaf295a4.jpg

And lastly a couple of photos of a hazy Ben Wyvis in late afternoon light with snow right to the lower slopes and another snow shower coming into the mountain.20171112_151033.thumb.jpg.299f415072855932c06d72cf59d3e040.jpg20171112_151019.thumb.jpg.6df31a28886f7172ae9b0095c299e8b3.jpg

Down to 3c currently

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Cold yin in Glasgow tonight. Raw wind from the NW.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Currently just under 2'C here with a moderate wind (making it feel Baltic!) though a frost looks likely tonight as the wind dies away.

We've had wintry showers here since Friday and its been feeling particularly raw at times. 

Next weekend might deliver the first lying snow here but the hills and mountains are already white. :cold:

Also, some one asked if Achnasheen is really that cold? Yes, it is.

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
16 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Currently just under 2'C here with a moderate wind (making it feel Baltic!) though a frost looks likely tonight as the wind dies away.

We've had wintry showers here since Friday and its been feeling particularly raw at times. 

Next weekend might deliver the first lying snow here but the hills and mountains are already white. :cold:

Also, some one asked if Achnasheen is really that cold? Yes, it is.

I can vouch for that for today at least. Drove home from Skye this afternoon and the coldest place we came through was Achnasheen.

The GFS forecast seems to have cranked up the cold a bit recently, not so much for home but for one of my current work places, Fort Augustus.

Skye was wonderful as usual again today.

Blaven.thumb.jpg.23733c2fbfbcc369561a6f0cf38d5bbe.jpg

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Northern Strath said:

Stunning image HC. Bla Bheinn?

Achnasheen is a great cold spot, snow poles are there for good reason 

Yep. Photo from the quarry's old weighbridge.  

Got this one too - Blaven2.thumb.jpg.8cc2b255d82dc302906b87a8908deec3.jpg but I prefer the human context.  I've been trying to remember a couple of Sorley Maclean lines about Bla Bheinn - you can't remember by any chance?

• Like 1

stay away from the model output thread. some folk have got the prams out the shed and are filling them with toys. it wont be long I can sense the first "winters over" post is coming. might just go in and do it myself just for the fun of it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Been light snow here but not settling and now sleet. A bit of a surprise. Earlier frost has lifted and temps up to 2.5C now.

Back to snow now and a little heavier. Trying to settle.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Friend in Dundee just said on FB she has snow - gone really dark here and radar showing something on us but it's dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning.

2.6c  grey and calm

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Posted

Out at 6.00am cloudy  By 8.30am it was 0c and  snow falling to give us our first  light covering of the autumn. All melted now and dry but cloudy currently 2c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Light snow here briefly this morning before turning to rain by late morning. Currently 3'C and feeling quite chilly in the wind!

Medium to long term outlook is definitely interesting, although you wouldn't think so based on some posts on NW!

I swear the model thread gets worse year on year! :wallbash:

:)

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Out at 6.00am cloudy  By 8.30am it was 0c and  snow falling to give us our first  light covering of the autumn. All melted now and dry but cloudy currently 2c.

Should have said it was 1c at 6.00am but  a cow that needed a ceasarian   with the vet between midnight and 2.00am  used up a bit of the night. Milked cow at 7.00am and fed calf and am about to go and feed it again. Just two left to calve so will get a bit more sleep when they finally do.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted

Well that was a good day to be indoors. Cats appreciated the fire being on too, utter slobs. And the neighbours are away so the music gets cranked up to generate some extra heat.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
8 hours ago, NorthernRab said:

Light snow here briefly this morning before turning to rain by late morning. Currently 3'C and feeling quite chilly in the wind!

Medium to long term outlook is definitely interesting, although you wouldn't think so based on some posts on NW!

I swear the model thread gets worse year on year! :wallbash:

:)

I see you trying bravely to add sanity......that may make you dafter than them :fool:

Only joking..... Keep trying ....... You just never know

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Another lovely sunrise and it's vastly warmer feeling than yesterday with no breeze and temps at a staggering 6C:

20171114_073524.thumb.jpg.0569b42b98c45418e5e521b0d5e83734.jpg20171114_073250.thumb.jpg.4229e80572929421675b363c1f9630d6.jpg20171114_074323.thumb.jpg.149ca34941cc20736a3aa7846e78d13c.jpg1510646546128363860749.thumb.jpg.b4cceeaed1e35afe5f2368dd619cf995.jpg

It's been relatively dry here recently with 3.8mm of rain this month and 7.8mm of rain in the last three weeks. We'll pay for this at some point. Many places have been the same recently. Having said it's been dry you wouldn't think it looking outside, it's very damp:

15106466228681981623260.thumb.jpg.0be2d502b1268c86535791fa0866cef8.jpg

The charts still hold loads of interest especially for those of us who live in North Britain (:rofl:), defo seen far worse over the years and fingers crossed for some decent snow action next month :)

Well up here near Lairg we have had 55mm already this month including yesterdays first covering of snow.  Ground is sodden now, could do with a week of frost!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Much nicer day here today.   7.8c/7c and the sun is shining!

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 11/9/2017 at 22:52, Hairy Celt said:

There should be a netweather competition to give names to the nameless ones.

I suggest 'Rustastic' or 'I love the taste of salt in the morning'. (Ex-biker remembering split lips through winter...)

okay I've asked Transport Scotland tee hee