Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Down a field tonight  in the fading light and out of the gloom comes this  evocative whoop whoop sound and the outline of a V formation of  16 whooper swans.              (HC can confirm that I have got the correct type of swan).

They came from  an ENE direction. They usually take up residence in field about 2 miles away for the winter.  Are they to be followed by winter?

Milder at 11c and very windy

• Like 3

Posted

Ben Wyvis has fresh  snow cap again this morning after overnight rain here.    Currently 5c and sunny.

Edited by Northernlights
Spelling
  • Like 1

4c and wet here this morning, just starting to dry up. very gentle breeze. todays high of 4c is as cold as I saw all winter last year in Englandshire so already an improvement for me.

I see stars and a moon but that's all at present. Some of the big guns have joint in the fun over on the model thread this afternoon and evening and not a single mention of Sydney and his wood shed....:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just been out to check for lights again - still nothing. But the cars are iced up for the first time this winter. Brrrr... :cold: well sort of..

What is going on in the MT - I'm completely baffled by 90% of the posts and I'm sure I didn't used to be this thick. Has meteorology suddenly grown arms and legs?

Posted
13 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just been out to check for lights again - still nothing. But the cars are iced up for the first time this winter. Brrrr... :cold: well sort of..

What is going on in the MT - I'm completely baffled by 90% of the posts and I'm sure I didn't used to be this thick. Has meteorology suddenly grown arms and legs?

10.30pm coming out of Inverness heading east and in spite of a strong moon there was  an  auroral  display of curtains but 15 minutes later it was gone.At home now  its currently 1c with a ground frost and the grass sparkling in the headlights

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Very cold this morning -2c at 6am. everything iced up but looking pretty. as for the MT its getting very serious in there at present with pacific ridges waa and all sorts of stuff. I'm confused by so much of it. 

1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm sceptical about a lot of the chat as we've been here before and ended up disappointed. In the meantime the more seasonal November weather is hugely welcome after such an unseasonably warm October. Another gorgeous sunrise and another proper frost:

20171108_065535.thumb.jpg.e748f3b88742d2a6ba88910fd6568f9d.jpg

And another weird day where it's going to be warmer overnight tonight than during the day today or tomorrow.

we seem to have spent the last 3 winters disappointed and up the garden path. I will believe it when its -10c and belting down with snow. still very interesting to watch. I wonder when the first winters over post pops up. I reckon it will be the last week of this month.

Posted

Clear start to the day with a slight frost. Now cloudy and cool. A few years ago I decided not to look beyond a few days in terms of the models....and focus on weather which actually has a decent chance of occurring! I suppose some might say where's the fun in that but it works for me!

Posted

Been a wee while of chilly nights recently, thick frost here this morning.

Was out frozen last night watching the Northern Lights, if clear should be spiking all week

WP_20171107_21_43_36_Pro.thumb.jpg.54b7f8148e857797567bf3ae387f5017.jpgWP_20171107_21_47_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.2cc0869951b90a08d63f2508870290b4.jpg

WP_20171107_21_48_55_Pro.thumb.jpg.c4bf11cd2a8ab958c7f6b9c5c3356130.jpgWP_20171107_21_49_24_Pro.thumb.jpg.2d0d4fe65cc4ce6bd0bfe0240b885a22.jpg

WP_20171107_21_50_20_Pro.thumb.jpg.fc400f2d52ccafa718116bb143d85afa.jpgWP_20171107_21_50_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.cafcaab08823aa54d5999bfda974f698.jpg

WP_20171107_21_50_47_Pro.thumb.jpg.09c8ed39acc4d9e8ef0900223fa0b1ba.jpgWP_20171107_21_52_16_Pro.thumb.jpg.9b8045c57acb2d4f29d49f7cc374d754.jpg

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 8

Posted
25 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Day 10 ECM what could possibly go wrong????

ECH1-240.GIF.thumb.png.8988cab096851483a3eb7f98b2b56bb5.png

Tempted to say, someone up there is about to throw a bucket of orange jaffa cakes on northern UK but the naughty word filter will bowdlerise it so I'll say bucket of orange urine instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Follow the gritters and zoom in for their names such as Grittie McVittie http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab 

• Like 2

Posted

I had my zip up the A9 today, accompanied by lots of blustery showers and low temps with wintriness by Berriedale.

Off to Skye for the weekend so that should put paid to any useful weather over there.

Next week looks a tad chilly inland for us all!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity

This past summer I visited the Ledgowan Hotel at Achnasheen, lovely spot BTW. I've been following the weather forecasts for it on the Met Office app. My question is...is it really that cold??? Whenever I look on the daily forecast it always seems to be in single digits, especially the feels like temp, in fact the last few days and the weekend were showing snow of varying intensities. Do the M.O. over egg the pudding on the forecasts or do they come to fruition? I never did check the obs for that area to compare but I figured one of you guys might know.

Posted
37 minutes ago, NPUK said:

This past summer I visited the Ledgowan Hotel at Achnasheen, lovely spot BTW. I've been following the weather forecasts for it on the Met Office app. My question is...is it really that cold??? Whenever I look on the daily forecast it always seems to be in single digits, especially the feels like temp, in fact the last few days and the weekend were showing snow of varying intensities. Do the M.O. over egg the pudding on the forecasts or do they come to fruition? I never did check the obs for that area to compare but I figured one of you guys might know.

I'd say temp forecasts are generally fine for Achnasheen, although as with everywhere snow forecasts are pretty hit or miss. Usually miss.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold & dry or cold & snow but definitely not oppresive heat and humidity

Thanks HC, I thought they might have been on the low side. I do like it out there, in fact I started doing the lottery again as I found out the Ledgowan Estate was on the market but it's now sold so I'll keep my money in my pocket. Seems like a place I would like to live though, unfortunately my wife thought it was too remote though.

Posted
13 minutes ago, NPUK said:

Thanks HC, I thought they might have been on the low side. I do like it out there, in fact I started doing the lottery again as I found out the Ledgowan Estate was on the market but it's now sold so I'll keep my money in my pocket. Seems like a place I would like to live though, unfortunately my wife thought it was too remote though.

Remote from what? Depends what you need. Ms HC wouldn't move there either so maybe it's chick thing. (I always wanted to quote Ron Perlman, under-rated actor.)

Ok, ok, not really a quote, but almost. Alien Resurrection. Sorry chaps. Lordy. and then Ms HC drifts past and swipes my beer. Instant Karma.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

No where is too remote for me, Alaska might just fit the bill but the wife has family ties that keep her around these parts so I have to go with that.

And we already have the first rumblings of despair over in MOT shortwave drama, its all going wrong on the pub run. the ECM is a corker no wait it stinks. the GFS stinks no wait its ok no wait the EPS or ENS or GEFS says no but hang on it might say yes.... stained glass window my old boots is it snowing outside?? nope that's it winters over.:rofl:

oh look who's top of new page @Hairy Celt :D

Edited by Guest

Posted
2 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Follow the gritters and zoom in for their names such as Grittie McVittie http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab 

There should be a netweather competition to give names to the nameless ones.

I suggest 'Rustastic' or 'I love the taste of salt in the morning'. (Ex-biker remembering split lips through winter...)

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted

First snow showers of the season at the house this morning, providing a blustery drive to work, sleety in Inverness and 1c

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Northern Strath said:

First snow showers of the season at the house this morning, providing a blustery drive to work, sleety in Inverness and 1c

Yes very cold and windy  this morning at 6.00am checking last of cows to calve at 2c with wintry showers all round the Firth

• Like 2