Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, edo said:

I think @More Snow may be disappointed after all this prep if recent winters are anything to go by........let's hope not though 

I'm ready for the chase again :cold:

Mr Optimist! Hello Edo, hope the little ones are well.

Horribly mild up here today. The car thermo maxed at 16.5C in Nairn today, NL must have been sweating in his tractor.

Heading west to chase the $$ tomorrow for a short while. Camera charged, hoping for some interesting skies and autumn colours to distract me.

Posted

What a contrast yesterday between Edinburgh and GLasgow . Was damp , wet and dark in Glasgow while in Edinburgh was 14c with people easting outside in the sun . Cant remember the last time there was more than a few days of highpressure 

Posted
16 minutes ago, scott125 said:

What a contrast yesterday between Edinburgh and GLasgow . Was damp , wet and dark in Glasgow while in Edinburgh was 14c with people easting outside in the sun . Cant remember the last time there was more than a few days of highpressure 

Maybe late next week /fingers crossed

Posted

Yes its  been a very warm humid few days here  with rain off and on just adding to the saturated ground .Grass still growing but value questionable.  Trying hard to keep cows outside with their calves for a while yet as pneumonia risk inside for calves very high now even with vaccination. had two sets of twins008.MP4 this year.  A bit of work getting them drinking off mum and also getting mum to realise she has two calves although both these cows realised they had two each very quickly

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

I see there is a sniff of a Greenland high over in the nut house thread.... I wonder how long till melt down and winters over appear... me I'm staying out of it lol..

Posted
25 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

http://apps.sepa.org.uk/rainfall

The rain gauge on Skye has collected more rain in the 24 days of October so far than some of the rain gauges on the east coast have collected in all 297 days of 2017 so far.

I can confirm that. Back from near Dornie now, had three of the wettest days I've had for a long time. Soggy crotch every day and that's something that doesn't happen often, I CAN TELL YOU.

Posted
22 hours ago, More Snow said:

I see there is a sniff of a Greenland high over in the nut house thread.... I wonder how long till melt down and winters over appear... me I'm staying out of it lol..

Is it supposed to be getting cold? As long as it's not just cold bloody rain.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Is it supposed to be getting cold? As long as it's not just cold bloody rain.

Well i've just popped back in there and I see the mention of several degrees drop in temps and I'm sure I've seen the S word mentioned in there too. GFS seems more bullish and the ECM gets there in the end....6 weeks till winter and all that snow in Russia, ice caps, MJO (what ever that is) and the polar vortex is getting punched.... you can almost feel the tension building with each day that passes....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Soggy crotch every day and that's something that doesn't happen often, I CAN TELL YOU.

It's an age thing. Sadly it's unlikely to improve from now on. :nonono:

Well this is going to feel rather chilly, if it comes off, especially for those of us in the NE. 

gfs-1-192.png gfs-14-192.png 

• Like 2

Posted

At the risk of cries of 'too much information' etc, the soggy crotch is an indicator of rain heaviness - my waterproofs keep me really dry nearly always, but after a few hours of heavy stuff, first it wicks up inside my cuffs, then it gets in the zip at the front of the trous - the 'fly' zip - and that's the beginning of the end for me. Beyond that, I care no more. This has been the case for the last 20 years, ever since I started using P****o gear.

Anyhoo, today was a lovely day in Caithness, the most sun for many days. Folk up there were looking at my mud-spattered site gear and saying, 'but it's been dry...' 'Only in Caithness, boyo.'

Not seeing much cold in the forecast, but does look a bit drier. Why do the beeb forecasters keep saying 'at least it'll be mild, you must like this'? Are they trying to kid us that October should be warm? It's NOT, Tammy Knickersniffer, it's supposed to be frosty at times.

Off to find a beer now.

Posted

Had a fine rainbow     MVI_0091.MP4     yesterday morning  which seemed to foretell the fantastic sunny breezy day we had today which dried up the domestic grasses  enough  this afternoon to give them their final cut of the season. Made it up to 12c this afternoon, currently 10c.

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, More Snow said:

just popped into the nut house.... and its winters over coz a brief Northerly goes a bit pete tong....will they never learn in that place..

Short answer - no.

Still looking rather nippy to me anyway, although admittedly not as good as it looked yesterday. 

gfs-1-180.png?18

Even up here even a brief flurry of snow that doesn't settle is more unusual than usual for the start of November. 

Posted
1 hour ago, More Snow said:

just popped into the nut house.... and its winters over coz a brief Northerly goes a bit pete tong....will they never learn in that place..

It was a joke bit of craic as they say in Ireland lighten up hope yea get plenty of snaw:friends:

Posted
9 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Short answer - no.

Still looking rather nippy to me anyway, although admittedly not as good as it looked yesterday. 

gfs-1-180.png?18

Even up here even a brief flurry of snow that doesn't settle is more unusual than usual for the start of November. 

Start of the teasing season.  Typical GFS, 'here look what stunning imaginary synoptics my superdoopercomputer can produce... ha ha, it's just random digits, you lot never learn, ner ner, I'm gonna get another upgrade soon so you'll keep on falling for it....'

However, it may be time to fish out the winter tyres. Early mornings on untreated roads ahoy!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Start of the teasing season.  Typical GFS, 'here look what stunning imaginary synoptics my superdoopercomputer can produce... ha ha, it's just random digits, you lot never learn, ner ner, I'm gonna get another upgrade soon so you'll keep on falling for it....'

However, it may be time to fish out the winter tyres. Early mornings on untreated roads ahoy!

Upgrade incoming cross polar flow:p:crazy:

ECH1-240.gif

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
6 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

What happened to your attachment?

There's a problem atm with links/attachments which hopefully will be sorted over the next few hours Hairy.

• Like 1

Posted

Does this work?

gfsnh-0-192.png?6

If you can see that, it's probably what he was talking about. I don't even have to look in the Model Output thread to know that someone orgasmed at the sight of that.

True, now you see it, now you don't, now I'm just blatantly trolling you, stuff from the GFS at the moment. Entirely in tune with what I've seen from watching the models over the last few years. The GFS especially will come up with something at a longer range, everyone will get excited, then it'll drop it for a few runs, everyone will get despondent, then it'll resurrect the idea at a closer time frame.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

First frost of 2017/18 here (at least one I've noticed).

Decent wee one too.

I guess that's me officially signing in for the winter then.:)

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Yes, first car scraping of the season for me this morning. Now 4.2c and bright sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted

As others have said started really pretty cold and the first white stuff of the season (Frost) but has turned out to be probably one of the best days we've had in quite a while. Clear sunny skies and no wind

• Like 1

Posted

Cold here this morning but no frost. Perhaps rather cloudier here than other parts, although it looks like a sunnier afternoon coming on now.

Could be time to think about fresh soft rubber....