Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

It's exceptionally dark here for 1 O'clock in the afternoon. Quite eerie

Posted

As others have said it's incredibly eerie so dark not sure I've seen it this dark during the day in October before 

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

It's exceptionally dark here for 1 O'clock in the afternoon. Quite eerie

Exactly the same  here builders repairing troughs in steading benefitting from the old lights that we replaced two weeks ago.We now have LED ones which are absolutely fantastic. Currently  damp with low cloud down to  400 feet and 10c. Its suddenly even dimmer now. Never experienced anything like this.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Exactly the same  here builders repairing troughs in steading benefitting from the old lights that we replaced two weeks ago.We now have LED ones which are absolutely fantastic. Currently  damp with low cloud down to  400 feet and 10c. Its suddenly even dimmer now. Never experienced anything like this.

You can see why people used to believe in Armageddon. Without the scientific knowledge as to why this is all happening it would be even creepier than it already is!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Richard Taylor said:

This is utterly bizarre. It is now pitch black in Aberdeen. At just after 2.30pm. Street lights on. Never seen this before. Dark as in night. Not even midwinter goes it get this dark at this time.  

Same in Inverness! This is the strangest weather I've ever seen in my life.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Richard Taylor said:

This is utterly bizarre. It is now pitch black in Aberdeen. At just after 2.30pm. Street lights on. Never seen this before. Dark as in night. Not even midwinter goes it get this dark at this time.  

It really is very surreal.   Its as dark as midnight.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I've just said to the husband that it's like mid-December. If this is armageddon then I'm glad I et that cake now.

Was out for lunch with the family in Westhill and as Richard says it was a dark as night at 2:30pm then a strange kind of yellow fog rolled in on the way home, wind has picked up here now, rain is on and off and visibility is probably less than 50m now in this fog.. giving serious consideration to firing up the log burner for the first time.:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Stove on already! What a miserable dull brown, wet day. I wonder if this is a taste of things to come? Hurricanes barrelling up the eastern Atlantic bring Europe's muck with them. Brexit now, folks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hi all, not posted in a while.

It’s getting really windy here in the Glasgow area. Not sure how bad it will get later but I wouldn’t imagine anything like Hurricane Bawbag from a few years ago :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Pretty quiet here wind-wise. Was hoping for more of a bang to kick off the winter season.

Garden is nuts right now; been a crazy year. I have lupins and fuchsias amongst others in full bloom mid October combined with massive apple drought on the trees.

Even the lawn is still up for it but getting too wet and squishy to cut.

Need some proper seasonal weather and quick to put an end to this weird year.

• Like 1

Posted

Getting bad up here now, not liking this at all. And according to the BBC it's to get a good bit worse yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Getting bad up here now, not liking this at all. And according to the BBC it's to get a good bit worse yet.

No need to worry M...no yuppie flats in London have been damaged. Phew!:D

Posted

We lived. But the cat was not happy at all. Even the elect stayed on, that's unusual.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
10 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We lived. But the cat was not happy at all. Even the elect stayed on, that's unusual.

Seems to have passed relatively uneventfully here. Woke up in the middle of the night and listened for a bit, but didn't sound particularly wild. Certainly nae bawbag.

A look in the garden and no evidence of wild stuff, although the house is in a pretty sheltered location.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

Nothing out of the ordinary here for autumn but if someone finds a blue recycling bin or a grey food bin with '55' on them on their way to work can you let me know! I've been up and down the street, poking in driveways and behind hedges and not a sign of them :D

Why do gales always seem to arrive on bin day?

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted

I said the elect didn't go off and as soon as I said that it did go off :rofl:

SS it all depends on the wind direction - last night it was coming up the A7 from due south and hitting the front of my house head-on.  When it comes from the west it hits the top end of the terrace and I don't notice it so much in the middle here.

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, a routine Autumn storm here with two to three hours of gales earlier this morning - which of course was exactly as forecast!

For an import from Englandshire I found it to be a very stormy night but guessing I shall get use to that kind of thing.. spent 2 hours today carrying and splitting wood in driving drizzle and gusty winds... i rather enjoyed the work doing this very therapeutic indeed. so onto my next question for you all. i have a log burner in my lounge and an open fire in my downstairs bedroom this is all new to me so looking for advice... when do you all start using your fire or log burner and do you use it instead of heating via oil fired heating or do you use it as well as.?? currently the oil heating is on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening. this seems to be working well at the moment but am well aware that i will need to use the fire and log burner soon.