Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Looking at forecasts for weather and aurora, think I will head as far east as I can and take up station overnight at either Crail or St. Andrews. Last night was a total washout.

Kp hit 7 last night and is still currently running at 6. Just hoping the cloud keeps off till morning. 

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks Catch. Your pic just about sums up current conditions but we live in hope. With luck there may be a Foehn effect for the east coast. Really surprising the difference a few miles makes around here if there's a westerly flow.

Edited by frogesque

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
On 04/09/2017 at 22:58, More Snow said:

Actually having looked at the map in more detail, we will be NW of Aberdeen the nearest point on the map is a place called Wells of ythan.....just a few miles from Largue... I'm sure this winter will bring snaw for all of us.. yes even here in the peak district the trees have started to turn and that morning chill is most definitely there now...Winter is my favourite time of the year...and I cant wait for this one to get under way.

Hi there,I know the area,your around 15 miles east of me,I live in a wee village called Kennethmont,It's a fantastic part of Aberdeenshire,everything you need round about,your 15 minute drive to the small town of Huntly and 1 hour drive to Aberdeen or you can get the train.If you need a hand with anything give me a shout

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

@Northernlights well quite, it's not like they can hide the rain!

We had lots more overnight last night, followed by a stunning sunny day today.... and guess what, it's raining again now.  Bloody snails and slugs are wreaking havoc in the winter greens at a time when the nights should be cold enough to put them to bed.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

@Northernlights well quite, it's not like they can hide the rain!

We had lots more overnight last night, followed by a stunning sunny day today.... and guess what, it's raining again now.  Bloody snails and slugs are wreaking havoc in the winter greens at a time when the nights should be cold enough to put them to bed.

Yes combines out again late  afternoon in spite of high humidities, moisture contents being ignored although some buyers have upped their maximum moisture levels from 24% to 26%. It really is turning into a salvage operation now. With even ash trees leaves going yellow it is really begining to feel like a very strange autumn.

Many thanks Standfree... this move has been a long time coming. we are all really looking forward to moving just not the 9 hour drive to get us there.. checked the elevation out today and its actually 162.5m asl... so really hoping this will help with me getting my snow fix...ive spent the last few weeks scrolling threw the past regional threads from past few years to try and gage the snow potential.... I'm really looking forward to getting my weather station set up and coming in this thread to give up dates learn from others and hopefully plenty of pictures of lots and lots of Snaw...

Posted

Yellow combines out in force this afternoon on the Black Isle. I hope none get stuck! Bizarre but just coincidence how most of our rain the last few days has been nocturnal.

I think Moray (as in @Northernlights's patch) has been especially wet this last few weeks, just based on my occasionally obsessive radar watching. I was lucky to get back home from my ride today just as the sky opened briefly. 

We went to see Wind River this evening - I was looking forward to some procedural cop stuff in the snow but it's not like that at all, it was at times brutal, harrowing and intense, but still pretty snowy. Fake snow mostly.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
19 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Not a lot happening with the weather, the rainstorm for tomorrow was just a figment of the GFS's mind, probs for the best.

Today has been showery at times after a cool and clear start this morning:

20170930_065319.thumb.jpg.68e8fa196b4d137e67489dece9b52572.jpg

We're now heading into my least favourite weather month...please prove me wrong mother nature.

raft-on-the-river.jpg     Damn, and I took you at your word - we were trying this out on the firth earlier...

Posted

Well after a fine  Friday and Saturday with combines everywhere I think the bulk of the harvest is done in this area and most of the straw was baled before the wind got up this afternoon. Now the grain will just have to be dried and the quality checked. We have been busy calving cows so the better weather is helping the calves get on their feet quickly. If it becomes more showery this  coming week then the mad rush to finish the harvest this weekend will have been worthwhile.

• Like 4

Posted

Wind been blowing a hoolie since about 5 last night. Still going too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Felt like it could knock you off your feet here, lorry overturned on A1 too

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The 1st 100mph gust of the Autumn season reported yesterday evening at Glencoe Mountain resort to.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

The 1st 100mph gust of the Autumn season reported yesterday evening at Glencoe Mountain resort to.

Read that too fast. Was expecting to see a destination for the Glencoe Mountain resort at the end. Like Dundee. Not that windy though.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Read that too fast. Was expecting to see a destination for the Glencoe Mountain resort at the end. Like Dundee. Not that windy though.

No nothing unusual as you say Hairy, Its just been a while since we've had any real wind to speak of. 

Apart from me earlier this morning:whistling:

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
5 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

No nothing unusual as you say Hairy, Its just been a while since we've had any real wind to speak of. 

Apart from me earlier this morning:whistling:

Yeah it's been blowy since yesterday morning here. I was getting blown about on my bike, easy uphill at times, pedalling downhill and minding the hedges and ditches in crosswinds (no echelon to hide in). First big swirls of yellow leaves appearing.

• Like 2

Posted

Cool breezy day here with odd shower early am.Made it up to 9c so grass growth slowing up. Getting dark early in the evenings so really an autumnal feeling. Still a fair number of fields of cereals to cut in the North of Scotland especially in Aberdeenshire .Not a vintage year on a lot of farms.

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Cool breezy day here with odd shower early am.Made it up to 9c so grass growth slowing up. Getting dark early in the evenings so really an autumnal feeling. Still a fair number of fields of cereals to cut in the North of Scotland especially in Aberdeenshire .Not a vintage year on a lot of farms.

No, and it looks worse up beyond Alness from what I see from the A9, with lots of fields still standing.

I was down by Invergarry today and it looked like a proper gale had been through there at the weekend, with plenty of trees stripped of most of their leaves - more so than further north.

• Like 1

Posted

Good walk today from Aberfeldy to Kenmore and back. Weather was kind, with some pleasant sunny spells.

IMG_20171007_150730077_HDR.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Another fairly inaccurate local  short term forecast with today forecast as mostly dry  but in fact it was very wet this afternoon. Saw two huge combines parked up in a half cut field of wheat loking very forlorn in the rain this afternoon. . A bit of a faux pas from the civil servants in the agricultural  part of the Scottish government putting out a statement to the effect that cereal yields were up this year when a lot has been harvested in poor condition this past fortnight and 20% still remains to be cut in  the north of Scotland especially Aberdeenshire. Even in this area there is quite a lot of straw to bale so the price of straw is moving up especially  with all the fields being cut green in the middle of summer for all the bio digesters in the area.

• Like 2

Well we have finally done it... we moved into the new house yesterday, spent the last 24 hours unboxing etc, this move has been a long time coming for me as its always been my dream to live in the beautiful country that is Scotland..... I will over the next few days get my new weather station set up and hope that I can start to provide updates from this part of Aberdeenshire. winter is very much in my thoughts and I'm hopeful that I will see snaw lots of snaw this coming winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Good for you :) That's the kind of thing I would do, and have done in the past. Just upped sticks grabbed family and gone to somewhere I wanted to be! But mind - if that area gets nae snaw at aw and turns into Winter in Provence, then all the forumites who live up there will be forming a posse and coming after you ...:rofl:

Posted

Theresa May suggests she is prepared to demote Boris Johnson

Christ what does it take to get rid of the idiot?

Erm, the weather's ok I suppose today. Taking a short breather from wood splitting, old style.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1