Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

When in Rome....

Don't worry Hairy I was raised up here so it's all good, Will hopefully be moving back permanently to Strontian within the next 5/7 year. I've just landed in Fort William waiting to catch the Corron Ferry, At least it's mild ☺

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Don't worry Hairy I was raised up here so it's all good, Will hopefully be moving back permanently to Strontian within the next 5/7 year. I've just landed in Fort William waiting to catch the Corron Ferry, At least it's mild

Mild?  Ground frost yesterday morning, got 20C early afternoon today. Reminds me of autumn in Alsace :mellow:

Posted
10 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Mild?  Ground frost yesterday morning, got 20C early afternoon today. Reminds me of autumn in Alsace :mellow:

Foggy mornings, warm days and chilly nights in the Aveyron at the mo.

• Like 1

Posted

Even the east here looks like rain now in spite of the local forecast saying dry till 4.00pm.   Mild though at 15c

Some combines went all night last night and anyone with a combine who is finished  are helping others out but a lot of grain will need a lot of drying and a lot is being rejected for malting. Its fast becoming a salvage operation.

• Like 2

Posted

A mild and wet morning here in Fort William, Just had a drive down into Glen Nevis and the waterfalls are running full bore, A better day forecast tomorrow at least.

Posted

Seems we've skipped straight to November. Very misty with rain although not cold thankfully

Posted

Nice walk in Glen Tilt yesterday. Was starting to drizzle as I finished it.

Today, stayed at home and dodged the rain. Even saw some sunshine earlier but it's cloudy and hazy now, 16c.

IMG_20170923_142245697.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Rain eased here around lunch so had a ride down Glen Loy before heading to Neptunes Staircase and the War Memorial. 

20170924_152412.thumb.jpg.fb41b6c66b33e23080645ccf4b7e6ac8.jpg20170924_141552.thumb.jpg.bc5ecea7ffd667da151406f749f317f8.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted

The rain's cleared but left a legacy of low cloud/mist although saying that the sun made a very brief appearance and it's not cold

Posted
2 hours ago, NUT said:

The rain's cleared but left a legacy of low cloud/mist although saying that the sun made a very brief appearance and it's not cold

Some blue sky coming out now , been a dull few days

Posted

Beautiful here on the western Isles now the cloud has lifted.

20170925_115947.thumb.jpg.0927190bf62df87e384b86f96f101cca.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

More overnight and morning rain been a very wet spell now.Cleared to warm sunshine this afternoon but with no wind it became oppressively humid and you would have thought we culd have got a thunderstorm at any moment. Farmers with crops of cereals and tatties in this area to harvest must be despairing of any dry weather.Had another calf last night took cow into calve  because of the wet and put cow and calf out in sunshine this afternoon, calf soon fast asleep in the sun after a good feed from the cow. Temperature got up to 17 c this afternoon

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Beautiful here on the western Isles now the cloud has lifted.

20170925_115947.thumb.jpg.0927190bf62df87e384b86f96f101cca.jpg

You canna beat the Hebrides for scenery and peace.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Very heavy rain on occasion over the last 4/5 days but very mild at times too, with 20'C on some days so feeling nice when it's sunny. Had a couple chilly foggy mornings of late but can't mind the exact days.

Currently 10'C and very still with clear skies so think the temperature will be going south quite fast.

Posted

Sat in cafe on Nevis Range, High cloud today but enough to still see the far mountains. 20170926_115812.thumb.jpg.d3a463327a48ff0ce70c8e1de34678cd.jpg20170926_115600.thumb.jpg.33b65c30b223c2eaf5a2b0e6a0d02bf2.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
Posted
3 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

off an aeroplane... although having read the article, that doesn't seem likely. Weird.

In other news, we hit 20C in Nairn today. And there are still uncut fields that look like they should have been in by now.  Suppose they must be too soft for the machines to get in.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted
On 26/09/2017 at 18:08, Hairy Celt said:

off an aeroplane... although having read the article, that doesn't seem likely. Weird.

In other news, we hit 20C in Nairn today. And there are still uncut fields that look like they should have been in by now.  Suppose they must be too soft for the machines to get in.

Yes a wonderful day with  combines on the go but yes you are correct some fields have been abandoned  because of wet ground or  the crop is so flat and sprouting and has very little value. The fact that the wet spell was so long and the crop very ripe it is collapsing with any wind or heavy rain.It"s  a long time since I have seen Nairnshire with so much crop still not cut when it is so ripe. I think only 1985 would have been worse when there was still a lot of crop to cut in mid October. Another observation is that a lot of big units are stuggling trying to do large acreages with the minimal machinery based on say 50 working days.If however there only 20 dry days for working in they are in trouble. I am reminded of my old college economics lecturer in the seventies who said that when she went onto a farm where there should only be one combine and she found two,the first one was treated as a machinery cost and the second one as an insurance cost agaist bad weather and breakdowns. In the seventies there were twice as many combines in the north of Scotland as theoretically needed just to match the poor climate.Some of these lessons seem to have been forgotten today.

• Like 6

Posted

anaprop again. pfft.

@Northernlights - perhaps farm machinery was less reliable 40 odd years ago, which would mean back ups made more sense then.  Maybe.  I know cars were certainly a lot less reliable!

Posted
27 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

anaprop again. pfft.

@Northernlights - perhaps farm machinery was less reliable 40 odd years ago, which would mean back ups made more sense then.  Maybe.  I know cars were certainly a lot less reliable!

Maybe but dust getting onto any electronic sensors nowadays seems to cause just as many issues and on this areas stony ground any machine that swallows one that has been missed still ends up in a mess.Less people to make  sure all stones are removed. Yellow New Holland combines from that era till today still have a reputation for reliabillty.  providing they are well serviced and stored dry for the rest of the year. Water in bearings and severe frost are bad news.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We've met many New Holland yellow monsters filling the wee narrow back roads up here from hedge to hedge... the very sight of one makes the husband swear  :D  . Re electronics, maybe a bit like modern cars which are great, but if that computer thingy goes then the whole car goes. My sons got pocket money and suntans in school holidays stane pickin NL, kept them busy and out of mischief.  When they were older they graduated to grouse beating, but that wasn't much fun. Eldest got told off by one snooty wee erk to call him sir when he spoke to him, and after that I refused to let them go again.

• Like 1