Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Cute start to the day with two young roe deer looking in the window at me.  They are in the turnip field next to the farm not afraid of humans and very inquisitive.Tried to get a photo as they moved away so a  bit blurred.P9160865.thumb.JPG.a9422986123827f782a216a6ef7f6c46.JPG

Currently very wet and 9c so feels and looks like mid October. A lot of crop still to cut in the area as well as straw to bale so everyone looking for some dryer weather.

• Like 4

Posted

More steady rain this morning     Even for a farmer that has secured the  harvest the almost continuous rain of the last ten days is getting tedious.A NNW wind  can be a wet direction for the south side of the Moray Firth. Fields are waterlogged now.

Took in the first cow to calve last night and  we have nice heifer calf born at 5.30am.   At least it will get to dry off before we put it out later today. Currently10c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Awh keep her in - it's bloody freezing oot there ! All the forecasts said we'd have a good dry day here.. it has rained nonstop persistently since half 5 ! I am SO not amused.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Awh keep her in - it's bloody freezing oot there ! All the forecasts said we'd have a good dry day here.. it has rained nonstop persistently since half 5 ! I am SO not amused.

It's bloody freezin' here in France, too. :angry:

At least I'm not missing any fine autumnal Scottish weather. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, ciel said:

It's bloody freezin' here in France, too. :angry:

At least I'm not missing any fine autumnal Scottish weather. :D

No you are NOT. 13C and grey all day here. If you can stick it out a few more days, it should get better - depending on where you are a bit I suppose. France is a lot bigger than Scotland and the weather can vary even more from one part to another than it does in the glorious motherland. Enjoy!

(Excuse pointless post, chaps.)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

We had a bit of sunshine here earlier when I was out with the wee yin walking the dugs.

I wasn't expecting rain, so have been very lucky; not long home and the heavens have just opened in to give a torrential downpour. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Great blue sky  dry day after a cool start at 5c, what a change, combines appeared all around us  in the afternoon.Thousands of geese here now probably a fortnight earlier than usual but they probably decided to come early hitching a ride on the northnorthwesterly wind of the last few days

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

We reached 19.6'C yesterday with wall to wall sunshine all day. 

Currently 12'C and pishin rain. :mellow:

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 1

Posted

Pits. Why have the Met Office been so consistently wrong this summer? Every single week they got it wrong for my area. they kept saying dry and sunny spells and it wasn't! Got so fed up we stopped watching the forecasts.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, mardatha said:

Pits. Why have the Met Office been so consistently wrong this summer? Every single week they got it wrong for my area. they kept saying dry and sunny spells and it wasn't! Got so fed up we stopped watching the forecasts.

But even on netweather the local  1-3 day  forecasts have been very inaccurate this summer for haymaking and even for this coming weekend Sunday has been either bone dry or showery in the last 12 hours. Into our 18th hour of rain now so total shutdown in the fields and currently 11c

Posted

Beautiful CMD.  Cleared here too.

This morning was shocking - driving through that rain and all the surface water pulling the steering... Ugh.

Posted

Had everything in the weather this week so far - well, everything that's dry to wet and in between. No snow or gales yet but a frost suggested for inland tonight.  The ground is saturated, as NL says, and it's not drying up so quick no there's less sun and less heat around.

Posted

is it just me or have we lost the post editing function?

ok, no it's still there but maybe rather more time-limited than before....

sounds a bit like sex and other fun things, as you get older.

time for bed, said Zebedee.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Been a while people. How are we all doing? :) Sorry i've not posted much on here recently but got things going on just now (took the keys today to my first place on my own) so kind of excited for that. Weather did settle eventually lovely sunset got to admit

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Same here, been reading occasionally but not been posting due to too much 'stuff' going on in my life. Not really been much worth getting excited about weather wise anyway. 

Thought my weather station was playing up this morning showing 1.6C (overnight low of 1.3C), but a quick look on the Internet showed that Aboyne hit 0.4C so my reading should be relatively accurate. Not far off the first frost of the Autumn/Winter, but not quite, just heavy dew. 

Settling our bees down for the winter now. It's been a strange, strange season in the bee world but we end the season still having 2 colonies with laying queens. One of those definitely has a new queen, the other we're not sure about, she could be a new queen or she could just have stopped laying for nearly 2 months. As for honey, loads of it in spring, mainly off the rape crops, very little over the summer. A real pity as the blossom/heather honey we got recently was much nicer than the rape honey we were drowning in in May. 

Hoping for a proper winter this year to make up for the lack of much that could be called summer. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Will be back up in the Highlands from tomorrow in 'God's land' Strontian, So will be using this thread for the next week or 2 ☺

• Like 2

Posted

Dry and sunny above this mrning and currently 11c. Out this morning at 5.00pm  in the dark to check on first calver that we have kept in to observe and had the dog with me. As we approached the steading there was a terrific growl and a clatter as something jumped into the fold and hit the gate.Must have been a badger again. Dog was hilarious with every hair standing up on her back!! Ground still saturated with a very heavy dew and patchy mist this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This isn't really weather related but many of you will recognise the legend in this pic. Beautifully partnered by Clyde on a wee detour this afternoon to go and pick up my boys for their weekend visit:

20170922_143514.thumb.jpg.79f269d1fd6f36c08360164ae46926d2.jpg

(in case anyone is wondering it's Tom Weir, Google "Weir's Way" for more :) ).

Bonnie and Clyde... :hi:

Very misty and cold around here yesterday morning but it quickly cleared.  Also it was interesting to note that Munlochy was the coldest place I passed through - I notice this quite often in winter.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Northernlights I think I'd have had every hair standing up on my head too - I don't blame the wee dug! I'd be thinking of every demon/zombie/alien film I'd ever watched.... :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

Looks a lot better down there than it does here Catch. We have heavy white cloud, no sun.

Posted

Currently in Abington services munching on a greasy burger.. Blustery with drizzle here.