Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

STV did a piece on Wednesday about "the weathermen of Ben Nevis" from Edinburgh Botanical garden weather enclosure with Marjory Roy, who wrote a book about the observers from the turn of the previous century.

There is a campaign for people to help digitise the records https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/edh/weather-rescue/ 

More info https://www.obantimes.co.uk/2017/09/06/new-project-launched-to-save-historical-ben-nevis-weather-data/

The book had some lovely details in it, about how once the observation hut was covered in deep snow it was cosy, but Autumn and Spring could be perishingly cold. The dangers of going out to get the observations in such strong winds, that they would tie on with ropes. 

http://ben-nevis.com/information/history/observatory/observatory.php

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, scott125 said:

Last few days have felt cool and autumnal or even wintery . Dull gloomy mornings .

Yes a very autumnal day here with sharp showers and a few sunny intervels and the fast changing colours on the trees make it look much later into autumn.A farmer on the Black Isle posted a photo of a  formation of geese  . If they are the first migrating ones it seems quite early.He also said all his swallows had left but there still quite a number here.Currently 10c

Posted

Pretty decent day here, just a couple of short-lived showers. Felt pleasant in the sun, max 17c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Distant rumble of thunder in Glasgow.  Heavy shower passing through,

Watching Jeff Piotrowski on periscope tracking hurricane Irma in Florida, so it makes me feel like were getting in on the act a wee bit. 

Posted

Those showers looking quite nasty and guess what direction they heading in? Yep they be here soon

Posted
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Back home :(

Dramatic skies before the rain comes:

20170910_181359.thumb.jpg.8dec7f7a36359abd950330e4ae43e628.jpg

I think we'll still squeeze some warm weather in before autumn starts properly. Probably a week in October when it's of no use to man nor beast.

Yes quite a considerable quantity of cereals to cut up here still  and the quality will soon be lost if these heavy showers keep up.even tattie ground will soon be very wet for lifting. The autumn is not keeping up the good start it had.

Posted

A real  dark mid October morning here today with periods of very heavy rain a strong NW wind off the Firth and currently 10c

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The Met-Office have warnings out for tomorrow night into Wednesday for the far south of the country:

Screenshot_20170911-154014.thumb.png.f76a36a0d5cf86b294edadf5b83f9256.png

At the moment the warnings look too far north compared to the charts I have looked at (Euro4, GFS, WRF-NMM 5k) but perhaps the Met-O are onto something I can't see? Time will tell :) I'd post charts but my phone wants to save charts as a gif and not a jpg and I can't figure out how to change the settings...d'oh!! If I stop being lazy later I'll get my laptop out.

Even if we don't get the wind this far north the rain could be something. Probably not needed with all the wet weather recently

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning Campers! Lovely Autumnal feel these mornings, but very mild temps, even at night! Roll on the Autumn frosts and clear nights! Temps averaging out about 12c these days, and wee drizzly showers along with it. Breezy in other parts today I see. Won't be long before it's our turn!

• Like 1

Posted

What a wet miserable end t the day, and the Northern Lights are supposed to be visible from anywhere....

http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

https://www.glendaleskye.com/aurora-alerts/

Edited by Cheggers
  • Like 1

Posted

Another wet dreich mid October morning with more heavy rain overnight. Currently 8.5c. Ground getting very wet now. Even clearing round  bales is going to be a messy job unless we get some drying winds.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

That's another pish day in Caithness done. One of many.

Isn't Jacob Rees-Ponce a dick? How long would he last as an MSP?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

Posted

Cool autumnal   start to the day at 6.30am at 6.5c. Went out the door to be greeted by the sight of  the first huge skein of honking geese passing overhead heading south with a tail wind behind them.Took a few more steps round  corner the garden wall and almost collided with a pair of roe deer calves who have taken up residence in the turnip field behind the farmhouse. They just stood there looking at me and then walked off going  under the gate and then back into the field.Less than 18 inches clearance under the gate too.Currently overcast and 11c

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Cool autumnal   start to the day at 6.30am at 6.5c. Went out the door to be greeted by the sight of  the first huge skein of honking geese passing overhead heading south with a tail wind behind them.Took a few more steps round  corner the garden wall and almost collided with a pair of roe deer calves who have taken up residence in the turnip field behind the farmhouse. They just stood there looking at me and then walked off going  under the gate and then back into the field.Less than 18 inches clearance under the gate too.Currently overcast and 11c

Mean"t to add first snow of the season on Ben Nevis this morning

Posted

Half decent day here. Some sunny spells, 15c. Looking okay for the weekend, I feel I have to make the most of the rapidly shortening days!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm a southern softie now. More like a south-eastern softie as the weather here is very different to what I was used to when I lived out west. I'm not much further south but the east shift changes things massively. Very dry place but yet I still whinge about the rain. Never happy. I must visit up north at some point, I've never ventured past Stirling too often (except Aberdeen).

Aye Catch, I noticed the difference a couple of week back when me n' Mrs Big Innes had a wee day oot in St Andrews and then drove doon the East Coast through Ainster etc.

The Combine Harvesters were everywhere and the crops looking plentiful. Here in the West O' Fife the summers have been changed to the Annual West Fife Monsoon which now seem tae last from June tae, the next April.

The ground and Fields through here are so wet that any salvageable Harvests are done by a Fermur oan a Dredger.

Big Innes         

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Absolutely Baltic wind here today, goes right roond ye! I caved in and put the central heating on this morning. I can normally last out till the end of September but I really felt the cold today. Anyhoo, at least the wind keeps the midges away! Always a plus side to the Scottish weather, eh?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Aye Catch, I noticed the difference a couple of week back when me n' Mrs Big Innes had a wee day oot in St Andrews and then drove doon the East Coast through Ainster etc.

The Combine Harvesters were everywhere and the crops looking plentiful. Here in the West O' Fife the summers have been changed to the Annual West Fife Monsoon which now seem tae last from June tae, the next April.

The ground and Fields through here are so wet that any salvageable Harvests are done by a Fermur oan a Dredger.

Big Innes         

The verges on the M90 looked like they'd been mown by a plough the other day so perhaps there's mileage in harvesting with a dredger. And there was that geriatric American who tried to cut down a tree with his small plane recently.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Just checking in after a summer chasing sun (mostly failed).  Did have a one decent day, went to Glen Etive (photo below). Hoping for some white stuff this winter. 

DSC_0513.JPG

• Like 3