Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Welll another tropical afternoon as a shower arrived just as I  was half way through baling a field. It seems to rain every afternoon mostly after a good drying morning.  Currently overcast dry and 15c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I'm sure I was Italian in a past life, I could stay here. It's 28C today with an Italian Met-O orange warning for Temporale (Thunderstorms) tomorrow night into Friday morning. Fingers crossed!!

Aha. So you're not at home then... Enjoy the weather and post photos if you can be airsed... Here, autumn is approaching, with a couple of slightly chilly mornings. Otherwise - :lazy:

• Like 1

completely nothing to do with the weather sorry about that... but  we are looking for boarding kennels for our Labrador for 3 nights 5th October possible in the Dundee area ish as that's kind of 5 hours from our old house here in the peak district and would then only leave us with a 2 and a bit hours drive to the new house from our over night hotel. will give him a little holiday and keep him out from under the feet of removal guys etc (keeping the kids calm will be hard enough let alone a 6 month old puppy).. any help from you guys and girls would be most helpful..

Edited by Guest
spelling...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, last night made me think about it maybe being time to put the heating back on in earnest. :shok:

Although this morning is very pleasant with blue skies, albeit a liberal dose of dew is evidence of last night's chill.

Few phone photos from a walk up Black Hill (near Earlston) the other day showing late summer flora. Unfortunately sunshine was only fleeting.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Was just thinking how the dew on the grass made it look like autumn this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, More Snow said:

completely nothing to do with the weather sorry about that... but  we are looking for boarding kennels for our Labrador for 3 nights 5th October possible in the Dundee area ish as that's kind of 5 hours from our old house here in the peak district and would then only leave us with a 2 and a bit hours drive to the new house from our over night hotel. will give him a little holiday and keep him out from under the feet of removal guys etc (keeping the kids calm will be hard enough let alone a 6 month old puppy).. any help from you guys and girls would be most helpful..

My dog was visiting the grooming person for a haircut this morning and I asked her about boarding kennels.  She recommended the Happas Canine Centre. Her words "they're great with dogs"

http://www.happascaninecentre.co.uk

Happas is close to the A90, north of Dundee, about a 10 min drive from the Dundee bypass.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
On 8/30/2017 at 07:18, Jo Farrow said:

Morning, the new Crossing is open, anyone going across today or tomorrow? The weather is looking fine for the ceremonies at the weekend, some local East Lothian Brownies have tickets for the Queensferry Experience, when pedestrians can walk across. Will it truly be wind proof and not close in high winds? http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=8398;sess= 

I did think saying that the Queensferry Crossing would never need to close in high winds was tempting fate somewhat. Might have been better saying that it was "much less likely" to have to close in high winds.

Looking forward to driving over it some time, but at the moment it looks like it could be a while before I have the excuse to be any distance south of Aberdeen.

Posted

A nice autumnal start to the day at 5c with some sunny intervels. Just hope the afternoon showers stay away and the combines roll again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

A really nice late summer day today.

Took advantage with a walk along the Southern Upland way to Minch Moor summit near Traquair. 

Touching 17 C at times in the sun. A light breeze to keep you cool though during the climb, so perfect. 

Heather reaching the end of its bloom, but still fragrant. Had tae keep dragging the wee yin away from the blaeberries so we could make it up and down on time. 

Lovely; borders at their best.

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2152.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 7

Posted

Yes a cracking harvest day dry, low humidity, with almost clear blue skies and a breeze this evening allowing the combine to keep going, no dew so far. There is even dust P9020644.thumb.JPG.63315beca8f0b00bed36860a25d1312f.JPGP9020803.thumb.JPG.667368b19f1af921f225393cc91edbe9.JPGYippee!!!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 9

Posted

On looking at photos photos of harvest am struck by how all the plants have senaced very early this year from peas in the garden to bracken( no keen frost to date) to the leaves on the trees including larch needles to the barley stems (straw) which has boken up into tiny pieces in the combine as it was so dead ripe. The autumn colours are well and truly here.Maybe the snow won"t be long either! A sunny start to the day with a heavy dew and currently 9c

• Like 4

Well guys and girls, had an email from the landlord of the property we want to take today with our contract for the house, so finally after more than a year of searching and many miles done in the car it looks like team More Snow will be going North... into the most beautiful of countries that is Scotland, it has been a life long dream of mine to live in Scotland ever since I can remember its what I have wanted, well now it is coming true, the new house is 162m asl 27 miles inland west of Aberdeen so I'm really hoping this will give me my winter fix each year. contract has been signed today and is awaiting being witnessed tomorrow. then its just the small matter of packing up and moving. I'm looking forward to spending most of my time here in this wonderful regional group and hope that I can give you all many weather reports and plenty of pictures to go with the reports... winter is coming and I say BRING ON THE SNAW!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

You do know, of course that this year will be the first one ever where Scotland gets nae snaw at aw and the Peak District gets 6 ft of it ... :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

Welcome to a beautiful area more snow,I'm 35 miles NNW of Aberdeen,it's been nae muckle much sna over the past 5 years since I moved out the city to the shire,fingers crossed this is the one that finally delivers the goods.Delighted to see the nights getting shorter,days a tad cooler,roll on winter

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I was almost in heaven today, perhaps in winter I would have found it perfect. I was at the Belvedere Glacier on Monte Rosa. Anyone remember my snow stick measurer from winter? I found a real one today :)

_DSC0324.thumb.JPG.0202610f11845fd6eb70d60efc9a3e95.JPG_DSC0322.thumb.JPG.faff6d3a42d7a53b44e76fcc4ec41916.JPG_DSC0328.thumb.JPG.53002e07bd1799950f7f7418b50a11da.JPG_DSC0337.thumb.JPG.bee309beb111846ef137272091e7bbd1.JPG20170904_123236.thumb.jpg.5d2640b77b123e96808cd393e3db00da.jpg_DSC0329.thumb.JPG.c797e3ad4667502d2a5ba790438b01a9.JPG_DSC0357.thumb.JPG.f38c26bc6a741349e47be3b921a60574.JPG

Some of the pics failed to upload due to the file size being 10mb+ so I will do an album once I am home next week and I'll upload more pics. I know a few of you will find the pics interesting for various reasons. The Alps are epic. I am running out of superlatives.

Would that be the famous snow stick measurer pictures from the 30cm of snow you were meant to get and nothing appeared? Haha .  (it was disappointing here but you'll never live that down!)  nice pics, I'm sure you're enjoying! 

Edited by Ross B

6 hours ago, Standfree 1903 said:

Welcome to a beautiful area more snow,I'm 35 miles NNW of Aberdeen,it's been nae muckle much sna over the past 5 years since I moved out the city to the shire,fingers crossed this is the one that finally delivers the goods.Delighted to see the nights getting shorter,days a tad cooler,roll on winter

Actually having looked at the map in more detail, we will be NW of Aberdeen the nearest point on the map is a place called Wells of ythan.....just a few miles from Largue... I'm sure this winter will bring snaw for all of us.. yes even here in the peak district the trees have started to turn and that morning chill is most definitely there now...Winter is my favourite time of the year...and I cant wait for this one to get under way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
18 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I was almost in heaven today, perhaps in winter I would have found it perfect. I was at the Belvedere Glacier on Monte Rosa. Anyone remember my snow stick measurer from winter? I found a real one today :)

_DSC0324.thumb.JPG.0202610f11845fd6eb70d60efc9a3e95.JPG_DSC0322.thumb.JPG.faff6d3a42d7a53b44e76fcc4ec41916.JPG_DSC0328.thumb.JPG.53002e07bd1799950f7f7418b50a11da.JPG_DSC0337.thumb.JPG.bee309beb111846ef137272091e7bbd1.JPG20170904_123236.thumb.jpg.5d2640b77b123e96808cd393e3db00da.jpg_DSC0329.thumb.JPG.c797e3ad4667502d2a5ba790438b01a9.JPG_DSC0357.thumb.JPG.f38c26bc6a741349e47be3b921a60574.JPG

Some of the pics failed to upload due to the file size being 10mb+ so I will do an album once I am home next week and I'll upload more pics. I know a few of you will find the pics interesting for various reasons. The Alps are epic. I am running out of superlatives.

Is that above Macugnaga? I was there skiing many moons ago. Lovely area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Well Catch, you seem to be skipping the summer to autumn transition... for here anyway. We've gone from warm days and mild nights to mostly mixed and occasionally jaffa cakesy days with cooler mornings. The forecasts have flipped in the last few days from giving us upper teens temps for most of daylight to mostly mid teens, so this to me has signalled autumn.  Once I can drag myself out of the depths of despair, autumn will give us colour, freedom from flying parasites, and hopefully some ripe apples....

Posted

Good morning all, long time away, but weather been by and large guff Only seen a good stretch of sun when in Spain beginning of July.

Not too bad a start to today, chilly but heading to Stirling Castle with my visiting mother, so hope the rain stays away.

If anyone interested there is a Spitfire and Mustang P51 flying out of Cumbernauld airport all week, and I hear that for £3k you can have a ride for 30 min.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
2 hours ago, Cheggers said:

Good morning all, long time away, but weather been by and large guff Only seen a good stretch of sun when in Spain beginning of July.

Not too bad a start to today, chilly but heading to Stirling Castle with my visiting mother, so hope the rain stays away.

If anyone interested there is a Spitfire and Mustang P51 flying out of Cumbernauld airport all week, and I hear that for £3k you can have a ride for 30 min.

Eh fur 3k Cheggars ah would be wantin Business Class tae Sunny Climes in a Big Basturt Plane :D 

Big Innes

• Like 1

Posted

Any help for clear skies in Scotland tonight and tomorrow night. Kp7 aurora forecast and would hate to miss it. Probably on the North East, maybe even manage to get as far as The Black Isle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another fine day, breezy, sunny intervels and a maximum of 17c. Finally finished  the last batch of this seasons hay and baled the last straw field  last night.   Have done more outside work that needs dry weather in the last four days than in the last four weeks so tired contented farmer but only for a week or so as cows about to calve. At least if the forecast rain and wind arrives then we are up to date as we can be.

• Like 5