Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Never get many flies up here, but hot sunshine for a bit then sudden heavy rain for a longer bit. all day. Sick to the back teeth doesn't even come close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

Never get many flies up here, but hot sunshine for a bit then sudden heavy rain for a longer bit. all day. Sick to the back teeth doesn't even come close.

I think you should keep away from the windows for a few days!!

Posted

Best day in a while (though that's not saying much). Some sunny spells took the temperature to 21.8c at Leuchars. Fewer showers than the last few days.

Posted

Sporadic drizzle here too on the drive in.  Just not enough to leave the windscreen wipers on auto. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

I would think Scotland's Summer is due to start soon...

Kids are back to school in a week and a half:oops:

• Like 1

Posted

Really dull wet  and miserable and currently 14c

Two days ago had to bale and dump (written off ) 3 acres of hay that the torrential rain of the last few days had blackened . Have done it before,you have to know when when you are putting good money after bad.

Posted

Cloudy but dry most of the day here but the heavens opened just after 5pm. Stoatin' down. Main Street of Broughty Ferry was deserted!

Posted

Small earthquake felt across Highlands: 

The biggest earthquake to hit the Highlands in three decades has been widely felt across the region.

The British Geological Survey (BGS), which recorded it at about 15:45, said it had a magnitude of 3.8 and was centred on Moidart. 

A smaller quake, which registered 1.5 on the Richter scale, was centred on Kingussie.

It was the biggest such tremor to be felt in the region since a 4.1 magnitude earthquake in Oban in 1986.

Posted

A bit more sunshine today but still some short heavy showers. Quite cool as we  stacked hay this afternoon and I. noticed that the summit of Cairngorm was 2c this morning. Currently 11c. A few of the hundreds of swallows P8050632.thumb.JPG.540c06a421bdf87202fb180214e74d8f.JPGthat have hatched in the steading this summer. Saw a small covey of six partridge  with their parants today as well

• Like 4

Posted

Getting into the dog days now... a decent enough day for late summer but a high of 19C tells its story, with a couple of sharpish showers to boot.

However, we had a red admiral and a small tortoiseshell on the buddleia today.  Seems strange that this is noteworthy!

Currently 12C, damp and time to crunch some snails. Too much damage being inflicted to ignore.

• Like 3

Posted

Blue skies this morning, a cool 10C but feels humid. No wind to speak of.  Will it stay dry today?....probably not.

The potato patch has been decimated by blight.:angry:

Posted

Yesterday here was odd - short spells of really HOT sun and then sudden torrential showers. We rarely get bothered by flies here but yesterday the house was full of them and I had to shut windows and run around with a slipper lol - cat was cracking up. Am so very fed up of this summer, I better get a good winter to make up for it...

Posted

Anyone want to pull me up on my misuse of 'dog days'? I just checked on a whim and found it really refers to the hottest days, the uncomfortable hot ones, which we just don't get here, ever!

• Like 1

Posted

I thought it meant the last days of summer :)

Posted
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Anyone want to pull me up on my misuse of 'dog days'? I just checked on a whim and found it really refers to the hottest days, the uncomfortable hot ones, which we just don't get here, ever!

No to me its just a great description with leaves/grasses looking a tired green colour, humid sultry conditions and the first corn lice itching you to bits when you check the barley crop. Can"t wait for lower humidity breezy drying autumn days. Don"t despair about the heat Mrs Northernlights goes back to school next week and assures me the weather will be fantastic as she is stuck in a stuffy classroom. Just spent the morning worming calves and putting fly control on cows to make their lives more tolerable in this humid weather.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted

Is that what they're called, corn lice? horrible wee black things that get everywhere and itch like hell. Yukk.

Posted
7 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Is that what they're called, corn lice? horrible wee black things that get everywhere and itch like hell. Yukk.

Thunderflies we used to call them, when we lived darn sarf, ie somewhere hot enough for them to live.  They'd only appear on the hottest, most humid days.  Not had the pleasure for about 25 years now.

Weird about 'dog days' too. I agree with the 'crappy end of summer' thing, but looked it up and found what I said.

Not so warm here today, so barely warm enough in just a t-shirt outside despite being busy.  Busy lifting garlic - you'll be able to smell me down the telephone wire soon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Dog days of summer refers to the days in which Sirius, or the Dog star, is visible in the sky, and whilst it has been used to describe the hottest, most sultry days of the year, like Northernlights I think it also aptly describes the last, lingering days of summer regardless of how warm it is. Those days, particularly in early September, where you might enjoy the last of the long evenings but you're all too aware that cooler, darker, possibly even stormy conditions are round the corner.

Not sure we'll notice the difference this year though, other than the shorter evenings.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 6

Posted
9 hours ago, mardatha said:

Probably told this story before but one very dry hot August when newly married I was coming back from the barley fields just covered in corn lice/thunder bugs cursing and making the air as blue as I could when a voice from above (my wife speaking from an upstairs window of the farmhouse)  said "Now they are just God"s little creatures"   Currently light rain and 12c

• Like 1

Posted

God should keep them then, in heaven, in tanks!

Posted
8 hours ago, mardatha said:

God should keep them then, in heaven, in tanks!

Or just keep them for his own pleasure, along with midges, mosquitoes, clegs, ticks, head lice, fleas, bed bugs, and some wasps, jellyfish and politicians.

Not a bad day here, enough warmth to keep us happy. A puppy day?

• Like 2

Posted

First nice afternoon and evening in EK for a long time. Some heavy showers this morning but was dry rest of the day and not had anything dry even for an afternoon for quite some time.. Clouds to my east this afternoon were Towering Cumulus very bright to look at and also looked like and Spring afternoon cloud formation.. Grass needs cut really so hope get a few dry days now.. Reminds me of the 2007 summer this year. Constantly went and below average temperature plus central heating been on a number of times this summer again just like 2007..