Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Today here was NOT.  Been 14c most of the day, windy and cold. Very dark very low clouds. Feels and looks like autumn. Scunnered!

Posted

A bit cloudy but sunny intervels and a fresh south wind. Drying up fast again at 17.5c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It has been a grey October's day today. The only two clues it's July were the crops and the humid air:

20170722_163910.thumb.jpg.4c0ec843905c0403616cb0259d1efd91.jpg20170722_164703.thumb.jpg.3d472f191beb44730f45de140260c767.jpg

Sort of similar here although 18C isn't common in October. Also there was a hint of haar... and a nagging north-easterly breeze.

Posted

A few sunny intervals today followed by a fine evening. Cleaning old tractor ready for local show next weekend. Neeps charging on. Photos of the last three weeks growth.20170701_162618.thumb.jpg.87bfc2e14faa741be8d03f3305227c99.jpg20170707_122411.thumb.jpg.b7ddae409e8523ed28fbe8d4400bd423.jpg20170722_201023.thumb.jpg.3061c2e671733b75480caf7daff51872.jpg

These turnips are still two weeks ahead of normal and the whole countryside has the look of August with ripening crops.Even young Mr Northernlights  said he had to remind himself today it was still July.              I wonder if we will see the first snow on the hills at the end of September or even sooner?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

A few sunny intervals today followed by a fine evening. Cleaning old tractor ready for local show next weekend. Neeps charging on. Photos of the last three weeks growth.20170701_162618.thumb.jpg.87bfc2e14faa741be8d03f3305227c99.jpg20170707_122411.thumb.jpg.b7ddae409e8523ed28fbe8d4400bd423.jpg20170722_201023.thumb.jpg.3061c2e671733b75480caf7daff51872.jpg

These turnips are still two weeks ahead of normal and the whole countryside has the look of August with ripening crops.Even young Mr Northernlights  said he had to remind himself today it was still July.              I wonder if we will see the first snow on the hills at the end of September or even sooner?

Funny you should mention this, as I've recently been feeling like it is later in the year than it actually is. I can only guess that it is the dull weather. Being in the city I don't have growing seasons or animal behaviour that I can monitor (apart from the seagulls which are pretty aggressive still, even in Glasgow), it's almost as if I've been expecting some big autumnal storm to be knocking on our door soon. It's had that sort of feel to it recently.

And yet we still have August to go, and there's no reason why we can't get some pretty pleasant weather then.

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Funny you should mention this, as I've recently been feeling like it is later in the year than it actually is. I can only guess that it is the dull weather. Being in the city I don't have growing seasons or animal behaviour that I can monitor (apart from the seagulls which are pretty aggressive still, even in Glasgow), it's almost as if I've been expecting some big autumnal storm to be knocking on our door soon. It's had that sort of feel to it recently.

And yet we still have August to go, and there's no reason why we can't get some pretty pleasant weather then.

I wonder with a sleepy sun possibly helping to cause a southerly tracking jetstream a  cooler autumn and winter are on their way. There are even stubble fields from early cut winter barley with local geese on them picking up the spilt grain. Ground is also very dry and grass is quite yellow/brown looking in spite of recent rain.

Posted

Went to the Airshow today at East Fortune. Awful day with cancellations to practically all aircraft shows.. An Occluded Front with low stratus cloud, persistent rain, wind and even mist later in the day was no conditions to see anything and unsafe for most aircrafts flying low. We do get days like this in summer where frontal rain sits over whole country but it's been too often this year.. Horrible cold day for Central Belt the Ice Cream vans at Airshow were deserted yet "Fresh Donuts" seemed to be the busiest van.. Really struggling now to hold an outdoor event up here yet the 3rd consecutive awful summer..

Posted
45 minutes ago, Richard Taylor said:

Grim start to today, if it's not heavy rain, it's mist & low cloud. Not exactly summer-like... or maybe these days, it is. 

Same here. It's one version of Scottish summer weather.

Posted

Another fairly miserable weather day. Rain,  grey skies and a stiff ENE breeze this morning.

This drookit woodpecker sought some shelter on the SW side of the telephone pole. He clung on there for at least 30mins.

drookit.thumb.jpg.519a6915c5efa34be28bdfe05e986a35.jpg

The sun did make a brief (very) appearance in the afternoon. Back to grey skies now, but at least the wind has dropped.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Benbecula said to be warmest in U.K. today with 23.6C max. Unusual  for Summer?

21C here and feeling warm in the brief sunny bits.

Posted

A very dreich day and damp.Thick fog occasionally so dark it looked like November out there and was probbaly as cool at 14c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Looks like the Glasgow area will see the highest temps in the UK tomorrow with maybe the chance of a thunderstorm later in the afternoon :)

Posted
4 hours ago, Northernlights said:

A very dreich day and damp.Thick fog occasionally so dark it looked like November out there and was probbaly as cool at 14c

Indeed. Today I was driving with untinted specs for the first time probably since April. Dull, dull, dull, with cloud low over the Black Isle.

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking day, currently 26.5c and sitting with a beer in the garden :D Some cumulus starting to build now so wouldn't be surprised to see an isolated shower on the radar in the next hour or so. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A rather nondescript few days. Some pointlessly dull and damp, some 'usable' at best. Today has started dull and drizzly again.

Posted

Not a happy chappy this morning - persistent light rain, not forecast at all, making a mess of outside painting. Pfff.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not a happy chappy this morning - persistent light rain, not forecast at all, making a mess of outside painting. Pfff.

Grumpy old farmer here too turned hay all day yesterday with expectation of a dry day today instead just the same rain here too.Will probably wrap some in plastic(more expensive) if it dries up later just to preserve some. Best thing to take your mind off hay is to just have a look at the neeps which are reaching for the sky with all this lovely damp.

• Like 2

Posted

Yesterday was a fantastic day but today.................meh. Sun's still not broken through

Posted

Same here. Grey, cool and horrible.

Posted
5 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The sun is being slow today...maybe by 9pm? 

It brightened up here considerably in the middle of the day although it still felt quite humid. Tomorrow looks like being a bit of a wash out... :(

Posted

Catch - at half past 8 the sky was clear blue, not a cloud to be seen. Now at half past 9 it's back to solid pewter grey. I give up with summer!

Posted

About an hour ago got ends of hay field baled up ready to wrap in plastic tomorrow morning finished minutes before a cloud burst with mini rivers running down the road only to return to farmhouse which was bone dry just half a mile away. Seriously strange weather.     Birds still at feeder, insect life still scarse but swallows,swifts and housemartins have had huge broods and literally have hundreds of young filling the sky above the farm just now.

• Like 5

Posted

That's funny NL.  neighbour was saying how few we've had here in the village this year, I think I've only seen 3 swallows. We don't get swifts here ever, I don't know why. And not one baby blackbird this year in my garden.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, mardatha said:

That's funny NL.  neighbour was saying how few we've had here in the village this year, I think I've only seen 3 swallows. We don't get swifts here ever, I don't know why. And not one baby blackbird this year in my garden.

A few decades ago I registered the farm house swift colony as its old eaves are ideal for their nests. Their screaming round  and round high above the house in the evening is a real sign of high summer.They will be gone again in about a fortnight and for me summer is nearly over.at that point.Although insect numbers are still low at least this has been a warmer summer to allow these birds to feed  their young most days without sheltering from rain.

Even saw a pheasant with fully fledged young this morning.At least the badgers haven"t eaten all the eggs!!Phone line is sagging again this morning with about 40 swallows etc all sitting on it making a real dawn chorus.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5