Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
56 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye, there are good reasons why neeps & tatties are so popular up there in Scotty...As I discovered for myself when trying to grow, among other things, runner beans in Glenurquhart: the High Summer frosts got the buggers every time!:D

Funny, but outside of salad stuff runner beans seem to be one of the few things I can usually get a consistently decent crop of. Maybe it's different over here in Aberdeenshire compared to Glenurquhart.

Started off almost cloudless here but I'd say about 60-70% cover now of thick fluffy stuff. Bit of a breeze but a decent day.

Anyway, who was talking about lack of insects recently? I took the bike out for a spin around 7:30pm last night, after it'd clouded over with some light rain by the end of my short 1hr ride. I think I had a second dinner as every time I risked opening my  mouth for some extra oxygen I regretted it. Insects bouncing off me left right and centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Funny, but outside of salad stuff runner beans seem to be one of the few things I can usually get a consistently decent crop of. Maybe it's different over here in Aberdeenshire compared to Glenurquhart.

Started off almost cloudless here but I'd say about 60-70% cover now of thick fluffy stuff. Bit of a breeze but a decent day.

Anyway, who was talking about lack of insects recently? I took the bike out for a spin around 7:30pm last night, after it'd clouded over with some light rain by the end of my short 1hr ride. I think I had a second dinner as every time I risked opening my  mouth for some extra oxygen I regretted it. Insects bouncing off me left right and centre.

To be fair, I was pretty much at the top of the Glen so in a frost-hollow. Down in Drum, peeps would grow just about anything...I guess that's the price you pay for purposefully moving to a place where it snows!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

To be fair, I was pretty much at the top of the Glen so in a frost-hollow. Down in Drum, peeps would grow just about anything...I guess that's the price you pay for purposefully moving to a place where it snows!:D

Ed why did you leave and move away doon there?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Been no a bad few days. Quite warm and sunny at times, with a good torrential downpour yesterday.

Dry and mainly sunny the day, although I see the rain incoming from the west on the radar.

Off tae French maritime alps the morn where it's a nice upper 20's in the middle of the day and sun splitting the heavens.

Cheese and wine aisles here I come!

• Like 2

Posted

Well the Glen Mhor Hotel started its River Ness Beer Festival today with the outside bar and dining. Huddled under a big umbrella from spits of rain and wrapped in a winter jacket for the biting wind, oh well at least I choose a meal in a cast iron dish that kept its heat! But seriously had warmer days sitting outside the Plateau Cafe at Glencoe in winter! :fool:

• Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I've been keeping an eye on a couple of weather stations in Glenurquart the last 2 winters and the temperatures have amazed me, they're consistently colder than places like Aviemore or Carrbridge, I actually would quite like to get a complete data set from them, because I reckon it's such a frost hollow a small ski area on a NE aspect in cuttings in the forest could well be technically viable with modern snow making! :D

Does make me wonder what potential there might be around Innerleithen or Glentress to find a similar spot, which could kick start the long running attempt to get mountain bike uplift there.

• Like 2

Posted

My son lives in Innerleithen and it's always raining.. he is west of me through the hills and halfway along that road the rain always starts. Not noticed that it's especailly cold though, usually warmer than here where I am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
16 hours ago, mardatha said:

Ed why did you leave and move away doon there?

Imagine a situation having elements of comedy, stupidity and a Brain Rix farce!:D

• Like 1

Posted

Oh cool lol I love Brian Rix..  ok so you ran in and out of various bedrooms without yr trousers? Got it. Magic lol :D But at least you've now got better weather!

• Like 1

Posted

We had some light rain and drizzle earlier but it didn't come to much. Cloudy and humid. Dewpoint of 18c at Leuchars currently, you don't see that too often.

Posted

Wind gone here and we've had heavy rain.

Posted

Much different feeling day. Yesterday at this time it was 20c/18c, today 19c/7c. Air temperature almost the same but dew point much lower so feels much fresher. Some cloud about but also sunny intervals. Fresh westerly wind.

Posted

Fairly nice day out there. Some sun/cloud with a bit of a breeze. Tomorrow and Tuesday look belters then from Wednesday onwards...........................

Posted

Lovely day. 23c with sunny skies and a fresh westerly breeze. :)

Posted

Just hit 24c at Dundee Riverside. Beautiful evening, I'm off out for a walk! 

• Like 2

Posted

Fabulous hot breezy day the batch of  hay cut a few days ago has almost made in a day. Crop ripening up too.

• Like 2

Posted

I see the 12z GFS operational went off on one, would end July with the Central Highlands or Moray Coast blasting the Scottish temperature record out of the water!! Probably means we'll end up with snow on the Cairngorms to start August instead!

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, skifreak said:

I see the 12z GFS operational went off on one, would end July with the Central Highlands or Moray Coast blasting the Scottish temperature record out of the water!! Probably means we'll end up with snow on the Cairngorms to start August instead!

Where did they get that from?! Would easily crash the 30's IF (Which it won't) happens and great storms too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Enjoy Tuesday Everyone.....:yahoo:

image.thumb.png.def50d8a40f73e92257177a75a4276e0.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
37 minutes ago, NUT said:

Where did they get that from?! Would easily crash the 30's IF (Which it won't) happens and great storms too

That would give us low 30s here definitely, away from the water a bit.  Please, please.....

In the meantime, today was nice and warm, tomorrow and Weds a bit better still.  Blackcurrants picked 10 days earlier than usual. The tomato plants are in overdrive. Father in law was snoozing on the bench in the garden this afternoon while I went for a sweaty cycle ride. Dolphins bobbing around off the point. Cold beer this evening.  Summers are made of days like this.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yeah, 16C and rain! :shok:

Well at least in Scottish terms that's 'warm rain'.

Not a great day in these parts on Saturday but Sunday, Mon and today have been fairly good with plenty of sunshine. In fact yesterday was a cracker, with temps nudging the mid 20s.

Posted

Went out for the day, took a train over to Aberdour wanted to see the new bridge. Was wall to wall blue skies not a breath of wind. Got back to the ranch to find lots of cloud and very fresh/very breezy breeze. Weather here is the pits!

Posted

Fabulous hay day blue skies, fresh sea breeze and  23c 20170718_150942.thumb.jpg.4c9bc9b2b83911710b0ec0a8645bf73d.jpg20170718_151252.thumb.jpg.17c8efbdbd61a05b0c337f2a1717714b.jpg

HOT Dog20170718_151554.thumb.jpg.d03eef835c568b857c928a5a7fb55df6.jpg

Wilting neeps20170718_164355.thumb.jpg.713f6c0384a712f45f1bf4c4800f4a38.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Beautiful evening down in Eyemouth last night, warm and still. Again this morning, warm and still- 25 degrees coming up past Coldstream this afternoon, and back to Fife...17 and windy. Jersey on.

IMG_20170717_211246101.jpg

• Like 4