Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

So..... I should really just copy and paste my post re Tuesday's weather ....Different day... Same s#$t springs to mind..

Im feeling almost as gloomy as the weather!!

Im sorry but pishin rain and gloomy dull coupled with 12c TWICE!! in a week in High Summer disnae float my boat........

image.thumb.jpeg.8f46925b2d78a4db891545d7818b49ba.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

The garden here was dry in May - if I'd not been out with the hose, lots of small plants would have struggled to get going, or even germinate.  June has been quite different though, much cooler and wetter, I'd almost say typical. The hose hasn't been touched all month.

What will July bring? Some warmth at least, would be welcome - I'm noticing tomato plants - unheated greenhouse - are slowing down now and fruit not growing or ripening as hoped. Outside, courgettes and runner beans are festering. Greens, broad beans and potatoes don't seem to care.

I was at a meeting in Inverness on Tuesday night and met a couple of farmers from Tain and the Black Isle who said it had rained most of the day on Tuesday whereas we had just spits and a strong drying wind in the rain shadow of the Cairngorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

I was at a meeting in Inverness on Tuesday night and met a couple of farmers from Tain and the Black Isle who said it had rained most of the day on Tuesday whereas we had just spits and a strong drying wind in the rain shadow of the Cairngorms.

Indeed it did.  I was talking to a fellow veg grower just now and we agreed that the ground's wet enough, thanks, and some warmth would be good.  Looking at the forecast, we're not going to hold our breath! :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
20 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Am I the only one who is happy with the rain as after a week of drying winds the ground was getting very dry again.The turnip field is next to the farmhouse so when I looked out this morning the turnips were smiling in the rain.

Speaking to a neighbour today who backed up my dry story as he said its been an easy year so far  to keep on top of the weeds in the garden. Cool though at 10c

I'm happy. Aye, garden was getting very dry and given I just did various bits of transplanting before the heavens opened, it's meant I didn't need to do lots of post-operation watering the past few days.

Also, my Rhubarb is back with a vengeance after a poor early crop.

Rain can stop now though please. It's Friday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
1 hour ago, knocker said:

Popped in just to note Edinburgh and Leuchars have had their wettest Junes ever. 178mm and 146mm

Amazing really... Was it April or May that Edinburgh virtually had nil rain for the month?

iUn fact, I'm sure I just heard that Edinburgh had as much rain in June as they've had January to end May!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Still very grey with heavy drizzle here this morning. School hols start today too so for the sanity of the parents I'd hope we start to see some better weather so that they can chuck the kids out of the houses.

Looking on the bright side, I'm looking at a weeks complete peace (wife, son and daughter off down to England to visit wife's family) followed by a week of semi-peace (daughter likely coming back). Pity the weather isn't looking great for my annual "hey, I've got weekends free, I can head off hill walking guilt free" ritual.

• Like 3

Posted

Grey skies, but dry with a northerly blow. Temp 13C, but feels less nippy than of late.

I'm debating with myself whether or not to risk hanging washing outside - numerous puddles are actually drying up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, ciel said:

Grey skies, but dry with a northerly blow. Temp 13C, but feels less nippy than of late.

I'm debating with myself whether or not to risk hanging washing outside - numerous puddles are actually drying up.

Laundry notes... stuff outside has dried ok this morning but is now inside to get properly dry...

Grey and cool here too. Pffft.

Posted

Well, I have a postage-stamp's worth of blue sky here.  Feels quite pleasant out-of-doors, though, and hope it stays like that as I'm on my way to celebrate my wee-est boy's 3rd birthday. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Mainly blue skies here for now and approaching BBQ weather.

I'm washing the car and flies firmly out in force after the recent rains. Need the jungle juice on or I'd be eaten alive.

Not midges mind - we don't really get them here - just b'starndin flies.

Posted

Very nice day here in spite of a strong wind.Rain of the last few days rapidly disappearing from surface of ground. Crops have done another growth spurt. Currently 18c.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very nice day here in spite of a strong wind.Rain of the last few days rapidly disappearing from surface of ground. Crops have done another growth spurt. Currently 18c.

Strawberries and neeps looking goodl 20170701_155024.thumb.jpg.8fb442e3f2b95bde25f077abdec8f9a5.jpg20170701_162618.thumb.jpg.f6d08f99c84b76ea10ad0d4bd4c596da.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Anyone know what these flowers are called? Farmhouse near us has them in orange, and now I find them on a restaurant table. Really want to get some for the garden as they come in all sorts of colours. Nobody knows their name though. 

They normally have long stalks. Up to a metre or so.

IMG-20170701-WA0000.jpeg

Posted
5 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Anyone know what these flowers are called? Farmhouse near us has them in orange, and now I find them on a restaurant table. Really want to get some for the garden as they come in all sorts of colours. Nobody knows their name though. 

They normally have long stalks. Up to a metre or so.

IMG-20170701-WA0000.jpeg

Common name Peruvian Lilly. An absolute thug in the garden. Will take over and even Roundup won't get rid. Roots are deep thin multiple tubers and brittle, leave one tiny piece and they are off again. Worst case, if they go to seed, move!

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 1

Posted

Back to weather! Just looked out and there's a respectable display of noctilucent clouds developing. Still a bit light yet but should show up nicely after midnight.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, frogesque said:

Back to weather! Just looked out and there's a respectable display of noctilucent clouds developing. Still a bit light yet but should show up nicely after midnight.

Just had my first sighting of noctilucent clouds and it's an absolutely mesmerising spectacle just like the northern lights. I thought it was dawn until noticing the waves and textures. A pretty captivating and unique experience and phenomenon for sure. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

SS they look like my orange flowers that I call Kaffir Lily. Nicer here today, bright and breezy but I feart to hang out a washing cos it always seems to rain..

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, frogesque said:

Common name Peruvian Lilly. An absolute thug in the garden. Will take over and even Roundup won't get rid. Roots are deep thin multiple tubers and brittle, leave one tiny piece and they are off again. Worst case, if they go to seed, move!

Thanks both for name and advice.

Are they a match for yellow loosestrife lol?

I'm not sure there's anything in my (cottage style) garden which doesn't need kept under constant control.

---

Lovely sunny morning here, albeit pretty breezy. 

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Yesterday was occasionally sunny and very breezy, temperature struggling up to 18c. Still, by far the best day of the week! As posted above the wettest June on record for Leuchars with 148mm. However despite being a poor month, nothing like as bad as June 2007, which was at the time the wettest on record (138mm) and also comfortably the least sunny on record (75 hours, beating the previous low by some 29 hours!), a haar-filled nightmare of a month which still sends shivers up my spine! :D All figures Leuchars.

Today is off to a decent start and the wind had died down from yesterday's nagging levels. Fingers crossed July is a decent summer month!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Catch it's raining up here and has been a coolish wind.

SS I have a cottage garden too but right now it looks more like a bombsite.

• Like 1