Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

At least the sun is making an appearance this morning, feeling pleasant but not warm, especially in a strong wind. Lots of fluffy clouds around too. In many ways though I prefer this to warmer but cloudy weather, it'd probably be perfect without the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Very windy here, been raining but stopped now, grey skies. Nice and cool in the house with the windies open :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Lifeboats checked and ready, cap'n.  'Unsettled' is how the BBC guy described it, there might have been a touch of 'they're used to it...'  :wallbash:

• Like 2

Posted

O for goddsake this is UNACCEPTABLE! Is this because of Brexit? I want back in!!!!

Posted

Very windy and cool. Odd glimpse of the sun but doesn't feel like late June!

• Like 1

Posted

Just like last weekend really. Very windy (bit more sun though) Never quite fully managed to get into the heat this week (and never really broke down either) can forget all about any sort of heat next week that's for sure

Posted
18 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It was fairly fresh in the breeze but a splendid afternoon in the end and warm in the sun/out the wind:

20170623_172758.thumb.jpg.39b8d51fd5f5cfcee1fd20ae1f88a4f1.jpg20170623_173736.thumb.jpg.66c2fd0eb8b8d5e7db2a4dc13f068bbd.jpg

The pics may be familiar to the ultra-observant folk on the thread. They were taken from the road between Longformacus and Ellemford Bridge which is a favourite dog walk (it's a deserted single track effort :) ). 

Similar weather here, yesterday.  Dog and I went for a recuperative (from flu) walk yesterday afternoon along the Backwater reservoir.

Backwater.thumb.jpg.4fe356022515f5987d533a43c2fd8177.jpg

Weather similar but a shade cooler today. Not relishing what might be in store next week.

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, ciel said:

Dog and I went for a recuperative (from flu) walk yesterday afternoon along the Backwater reservoir.

Aha. I know Backwater, did some work around there a few years ago.  Lots of sheep in some places and some very tedious conifer plantations.  It rained incessantly while I was there.

Very breezy here today too, think it's easing a bit now - white horses out on the firth, more than for a long time.

Posted

You're not wrong CMD!  Paisley Canal line:

DDGjYmvW0AE1MMX.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It has certainly been breezy today:

20170624_163623.mp4

Yes very windy here today too.Was scarifying neeps in old tractor so a  bit chilly two weeks ahead of normal. Real Orkney weather no more humid days for a while

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Aye, glorious this morning after a very windy day yesterday. Enjoying my coffee in the garden after finally getting around to putting in a WiFi extender.

A question - is it me, or has this wind been particularly drying? Seems my newish hanging baskets dried out very quickly.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted

I only crawled out of bed at 9 am :)  Catch your area looks very flat- I'm not used to flat ground, have always lived in or on hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Few phone photos from today's dug walk.

Very pleasant, if still a little breezy.

IMG-20170625-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20170625-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20170625-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20170625-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20170625-WA0023.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 5

Posted
26 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I am sure we've had this conversation before :)

Now where have I heard this before?

Sunny earlier, cool and cloudy now.

Posted
13 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Yes very windy here today too.Was scarifying neeps in old tractor so a  bit chilly two weeks ahead of normal. Real Orkney weather no more humid days for a while

Scarifying  P6250569.thumb.JPG.9955cc863e75c4bb329bc2b6c7533d76.JPGfinished today, a very monotonous job. Some sunny intervels,  a  fresh breeze, some cloudy periods and currently 14c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Scarifying  P6250569.thumb.JPG.9955cc863e75c4bb329bc2b6c7533d76.JPGfinished today, a very monotonous job. Some sunny intervels,  a  fresh breeze, some cloudy periods and currently 14c

Why do you do this?

Posted

Cool and cloudy with some showers in Glasgow. It's been more remiscent of late April than late June this weekend, particularly with the wind.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Why do you do this?

There are a few reasons.The swedes are sown on ridges so the scarifier shaves of each side of the ridges killing any seedling weeds (nowadays we also use a premergence weedkiller) and leaving the seedling proud above the  surface in readiness for lifting  the bulb by machine in winter.. This secondary  ridge also allowed.hoeing by hand for thining and weed control in the days before precision sowing machines which nowadays sow individual seed at 8 inch spaces. The act of scraping the side of the drills and the  half rollers compression   break any capping of soil between plants (especially after the heavy rain of few weeks back )and lets air into the roots. We will see a surge of growth now this operation has been done.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A fairly acceptable weekend up this direction. A bit too windy for comfort especially since despite a fair bit of sun it was far from warm. Stayed dry though so the garden has had more attention.

The bees are still in a quiet period but some good news with them as we're sure we've now got a laying queen from one of the frames we'd to take out of a hive a few weeks ago to stop them swarming. That original hive though might be queen-less as there's till no sign of a queen laying in there, so we might have to try merging the new queen with the old hive. Alternatively if the new queen builds up her colony quickly enough we may just let the old hive die off as merging two hives doesn't always work and there's a risk the queen could get killed. Keeping bees ain't simple.

• Like 6

Posted

Nice start to the week with some clouds/sun but the breeze has gone which was blowing all weekend. Might end up being one of the better days of the week

Posted

Reckon NL should paste his farm diary, and Rav his apiarist's log in here if he could cope with the fame, they'd be the most read posts. Apart from all the weather observations and photos and random thoughts, HC adds hastily.

I confess to barely bothering with the sky today, it was a uniform grey, except a brighter spell late afternoon.  Also a chilly NE breeze this evening.

The big Q for me and Ms HC is, what will happen next week? We visit Rum and Eigg for the first time, really looking forward to it...

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted

M

20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Reckon NL should paste his farm diary, and Rav his apiarist's log in here if he could cope with the fame, they'd be the most read posts. Apart from all the weather observations and photos and random thoughts, HC adds hastily.

I confess to barely bothering with the sky today, it was a uniform grey, except a brighter spell late afternoon.  Also a chilly NE breeze this evening.

The big Q for me and Ms HC is, what will happen next week? We visit Rum and Eigg for the first time, really looking forward to it...

Mrs Northernlights has just said she advises against publishing my farm diary on here  as its just possible you  might all  lose the will to live. Dull and misty here and currently 12c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

10.5C. A cold Easterly off the North Sea and steady, sometimes heavy rain. Middle of a mid-Summer day!

• Like 1