Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Half an hour ago, HDR phone shot as the storm was bearing down on Inverness before I u-turned to the Starbucks coffee lounge in the Palace Hotel!

IMG_1212.thumb.JPG.3118c59cac561f5beaf7077894b4fa03.JPG

Still flashing away round about. Is that a wee funnel above the left bank beyond the Church?

• Like 9

Posted

I thought I was going to miss out on the action - but no - an absolute downpour with hail mixed in at the mo and three + resounding booms.

• Like 3

Posted

Odd day.

Brilliant warm sunshine down on the beach at Leven this morning, went to Coupar  this afternoon and on the way back caught the edge of what must have been torrential rain over Falkland way. More or less dry as we got home but the roads were literally steaming where they had been wet. Got home, wee bit work in the garden and quite a few rumbles but basically dry. Currently sunny spells with some looming black clouds. Warm and humid. Don't think the day has finished with us yet.

Edited by frogesque
  • Like 1

Posted

Showers all over scotland currently but a dry gap in the central belt (which is where I am) the wind's a lot stronger too so if we do get any showers they will probably blow through pretty quickly

Posted

Fine morning last of stones off neep drills. Heavy showers building to the SE now, currently 16c

Boris and Donald20170604_132104.thumb.jpg.d8aab6792dc7046d0320d64ce5809769.jpg20170604_132124.thumb.jpg.560e6e48b8f4e112b5042942d22ee1c9.jpg on pigeon scaring duty in the neep field again as you can see the young plants up and down the drills after a shower

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 12:11, Hairy Celt said:

Hello, halfamilefromnowhere. Or hello HAMFN? Welcome to the sometimes merry little band.  I think you can take the 'most northerly poster' armband off me.

Are those the two tops of Carn Chuinneag in the left of your picture?  I spent a few weeks working on the estate the other side of those, about 10 years ago.  Quite a distinctive profile. (which probably means I'm wrong...)

We have a lovely warm and sunny morning, now looking at heavy showers heading up from the SW.  There's a wedding on the beach here this afternoon which could be fun!

Yes I think you are right on the two sharp topped peaks being Carn Chuinneag, there was a thunderstorm over that direction yesterday but alas we just got the rain and distant thunder.

Rheanbreck 3 June 2017.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Looks like the usual Aberdeenshire blackness to the NW through N of Aberdeen, & there have been a couple of lightning returns in the shire. For the city, similar to yesterday in missing the worst of them, although they started earlier today. The sunshine really emphasizes the blackness.

Posted

Reports that a tornado flattened a Highland Games field at Cornhill earlier, the radar certainly looked interesting between 3 and 4pm with precipitation intensity > 90mm/hr on the Netweather scale and a big white blob on the old Met Office scale and it looked as if there was some degree of rotation going on. 

• Like 1

Posted

Was a wet miserable start but has brightened up. Not too sure about tomorrow at all not looking the best June day ever to say the least

Posted

Some fair old rumbles of thunder here in the last hour or so and one torrential downpour. Sky darkening again.... 

Posted

The cloud   is loitering intent a pretty wet night coming up me thinks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

If I can find one 'bright side' to today, at least I'm not going to need to water the veg patches and the garden in general for a few days at the very earliest.

Oh, extracted another 40+lbs of honey on Sunday, so that breaks the 100lbs mark overall so far this year. At least as far as the bees are concerned it's been a good spring. Slightly worried that something has happened with the queen in one hive though as it's not looking 'happy'. Hopefully, nature will prevail and they'll create a new queen without needing too much help from us.

• Like 3

Posted

Relentless rain. Wind wasn't actually anything this morning but that's picked up too. Total write off of a day (but the rain is needed I suppose)

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

If I can find one 'bright side' to today, at least I'm not going to need to water the veg patches and the garden in general for a few days at the very earliest.

Oh, extracted another 40+lbs of honey on Sunday, so that breaks the 100lbs mark overall so far this year. At least as far as the bees are concerned it's been a good spring. Slightly worried that something has happened with the queen in one hive though as it's not looking 'happy'. Hopefully, nature will prevail and they'll create a new queen without needing too much help from us.

Was just going to say the same as I am "Singing In The Rain " today as the whole farm was needing this even the cattle are lying out in the open getting washed. Currently very wet and 10c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted

Relentless rain here too, given the dry May its a welcomed deluge indeed

Some pics pre-Saturday's thunderstorm to add to skifreak's cracker from the river ness, these taken above the town at bogbain. Had an apocalyptic vibe

IMG_2997.thumb.JPG.0779a7c08a5b78634e8139ae796d02cf.JPG

IMG_2998.thumb.JPG.172f0be864ab005afa6f2c6c275af820.JPG

IMG_2999.thumb.JPG.090b0c9d5ece327ad147197f6181b16d.JPG

• Like 9

Posted

Rain really coming down here as it has all night along with a strong N wind. Rivers will be very high in the morning on the south side of the Moray Firth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

SEPA have more flood warnings out for eastern Scotland. There is also a new tool for the public to add local flooding details. REPORT-A-FLOOD 

http://www.floodlinescotland.org.uk/report-a-flood/ 

0706floodline.png

0706scotraadar.png

• Like 1

Posted

Was out running at about 1.30 yesterday afternoon in the rain.  Had the thermals on it was that chilly!  Today, looking at my back garden, you'd think there hadn't been a drop which I guess underlines how dry it's been prior to that.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Very windy this morning but at least the rain has stopped. River Don at the end of the road looking quite full, but within it's normal banks. Fells chilly in the wind, almost like a December day from the last few winters.

• Like 2

Posted

You wouldn't have thought we had the rain we did yesterday outside. It's glorious (OK Breezy) complete comtrast though to yesterday's washout

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, for once Skye has missed the rain completely! Dry and sunny most of the day, still like that just now! Such a dry spring, does that herald a really crappy and cauld summer then?

• Like 2

Posted

What appeared to be a frosty sunsetP6070552.thumb.JPG.918dcc016d926ec42eff5543933de546.JPG last night at 7c turned out to be true as its now very bright at 1c with a ground frost. Very topsy turvy weather we are having. Grass is very crunchy.

• Like 7