Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

Interestingly not been 1 breath of wind all day long but as it looks like the rain's about to clear finally the wind's just started getting up

Posted

Very humid and oppressive earlier this afternoon and got very dark. We have just had shortlived downpour. Will lay the dust if nothing else,currently 16c

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Very humid and oppressive earlier this afternoon and got very dark. We have just had shortlived downpour. Will lay the dust if nothing else,currently 16c

yes it hit here in Nairn as well but did not last long 

• Like 1

Posted

After a fairly cool spring especially at night we have just had about 5 nights now with temperatures well above 6c and growth is taking off especially clover which responds even more to high CO2 levels and is now fixing nitrogen and therefore boosting grass growth and colour. The last 4 springs have been so cool at night that clover has failed to grow properly until later in the summer and grass growth has been poor in the spring . This spring certainly looks different across the farm tonight.

Partially copied from CO2 thread. The rain we have had today and this evening has certainly helped.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, NUT said:

Had a proper burst of rain for the first time in absolute ages so it would seem

When did it last rain in Glasgow before this ? i cannot remember /

Posted

After a grey and damp  start to the day, it turned out to a beautiful afternoon and evening. Temp 17C around 6pm.

I took my evening meal of haggis, neeps and tatties on the patio, watching a fine sundown.

5918c048e9020_Sundown02.thumb.jpg.870de1a9a412f402b5faa14878d748c5.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!
1 hour ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

We will make up for the dry spell all this week with a fair number of weather fronts but by end of week looks like Polar Maritime airmass with heavy showers and troughs to pass through..

So is it going to be wet and horrible for the foreseeable then? I missed all the good weather as husband hurt his knee and was on the couch, couldn't drive. :girl_devil:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Oh good. good. So there is some hope then!! :crazy:

Posted

Pish (that's the best way to sum it up) it's not cold tho so it doesn't feel that bad but it's wet and no wind. Could be worse

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A cloudy 'bleh' day here today so far, as was Saturday. Sunday was lovely though and got up into the mid to high teens in broken sunshine with just an occasional shower in the afternoon. We could do with a good soaking though, preferably overnight if possible.

The bees don't seems to be minding the weather, nor the Rape crops as it seems that all the hives in the apiary where our two are located have 'gone mad'. Quite a population explosion and they are filling up frames with honey at a rate we're struggling to keep up with.

• Like 5

Posted

It tried to rain here today but all we got was few drops accompanied by a strong S wind which dried it up as it fell and spun up clouds of dust from the farm road.Not a good day for the countryside which in this area has a soil moisture deficit of about 3 inches of rain.We will increase that by  about an inch a week with evapo transpiration from all the green plants especially with a strong drying wind at this time of year. Clovers in grass fields still looking healthy but like oilseed rape they are deep rooted and will be able to access moisture for longer than surface growing grass/cereals. Currently   17c

• Like 1

Posted

The land of the midnight sun is returning . A couple of recent photos looking north across the Firth P5150523.thumb.JPG.cf3ee9d2878aa9a3470459eda602fa3f.JPGP5150524.thumb.JPG.ff69c5c25c2812447dcc543793dfc9b1.JPG

• Like 4

Posted

Very warm overnight with a minimum of 16c accompanied by a strong S wind .The hairdryer has still not been switched off.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very warm overnight with a minimum of 16c accompanied by a strong S wind .The hairdryer has still not been switched off.

I was just going to comment on that myself.

My weather station was reading over 16C at 8am this morning which is quite unusual, especially since there's almost 100% cloud cover and a strong southerly breeze (so probably limited Foehn effect off the Cairngorms as, for here at least, you'd normally need more of a westerly component to the wind for that) . A few darker looking clouds around but not noticed any rain falling from them, yet.

• Like 2

Posted

The little burst (that's all it is) of rain that will freshen things up isn't far away but looks like the vast majority won't get us. Blowing a bit of a hoolie out there right now though

Posted

I can confirm @Northernlights hairdryer weather. I got an unexpected afternoon off work due to a slightly ill child so since the cloud had started to break I took the opportunity to throw the bedding into the washing machine. Once finished I hung it outside, then cut the grass, by which time the bedding was already dry. It's not as if we have a big garden either. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
On 5/3/2017 at 12:57, Northernlights said:

Thats because most pheasants in the countryside today are artificially reared with no sense of self preservation.with hundreds getting in the way of cars getting killed on the roads

A wild pheasant would hardly show itself when I was child running down rows of swedes at up to 25 miles an hour crouching low to avoid detection and eventually if forced to fly would climb dramatically upwards of a hundred feet and if it had a tail wind could reach 65 miles an hour in few seconds. Now thats a target if you can hit it.

Nowadays hundreds of tame birds are whilstled in to feed have no fear of humans and herded into fences and forced to fly, most of them only a few feet off the ground. High shots are achieved by forcing them to fly across valleys with the guns positioned in the bottom of the valley usually about a hundred feet below.

Wild hen pheasants also showed remarkable committment sitting/guarding their eggs untill a fox killed them leaving only a pile of feathers something I saw a few times as a child.

Very nice day now in spite of a fresh E wind currently 14c

In my previous job (life) I worked for the railway - quite a common occurance for trains up there to get smashed windscreens from pheasants flying straight into them. Drivers frequently reported them flying into the front of train head on at window height. 

Particularly seemed to happen in Perthshire for some reason.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

I can confirm @Northernlights hairdryer weather. I got an unexpected afternoon off work due to a slightly ill child so since the cloud had started to break I took the opportunity to throw the bedding into the washing machine. Once finished I hung it outside, then cut the grass, by which time the bedding was already dry. It's not as if we have a big garden either. 

Yes Mrs Northernlights took out one load  overnight washing out this morning and then put another  in for me to hang out later. I took both in bone dry at 1.00pm. Starting to look serious for crops across the whole of the UK unless we get some prolonged rainfall. Currently breezy and 14c

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

In my previous job (life) I worked for the railway - quite a common occurance for trains up there to get smashed windscreens from pheasants flying straight into them. Drivers frequently reported them flying into the front of train head on at window height. 

Particularly seemed to happen in Perthshire for some reason.

Yes  we saw lots of pheasants killed on the A9 in Perthshire when we used to travel a lot on this road.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

22.4 Lossiemouth and 22.2C Kinloss yesterday in the fresh S wind

• Like 1

Posted

Not bad here today lovely little breezy but calm probably won't be like this the rest of the week at least (and into next week so it would seem)

Posted

Left a very soggy trip to Derbyshire this morning fully coated up and arrived back in Glasgow, feeling overdressed in the same gorgeous weather that I left on Friday. Currently 9c there and 17c here.

Bearing in mind that I've missed a few summers, the last six weeks might just be the most enjoyable spell of weather since moving here in 2012. 

Edited by Harve
  • Like 4

Posted

A right mixture of weather in the NE today. Sunny and feeling mild in the morning at home.  Temp 16C over the Cairn. Later, monochrome grey sky and feeling decidedly chilly in the Bloo Toon, with a stiffish SW wind, although the car still registered a temp 16C.  Back home in the evening, cool but with beautiful clouds.

591cc4d6bd57f_Clouds01.thumb.jpg.1d60c831b52b387046b8763918fdd486.jpg.

• Like 3