Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We ended up on 12.8mm of rain for April which is fairly dry. The ground is rock hard and cracked. I'm sure Mother Nature will make up for it at some point, perhaps a wet summer of the way? Having said that I'm pretty sure April is on average the driest month of the year for many parts of Scotland.

Edit: 1070mb Greenland High...

IMG_2139.thumb.PNG.3548ba00c2e34e0cda028fb7cc757d9e.PNG

And staying dry in the south, a little damp further north but nothing much for what Scotland can suffer. This is up to the 10th of May:

IMG_2140.thumb.GIF.57c0df44b5e8c5f25f57c3a6268e375f.GIF

Exact same here. 1mm forecast... So nothing. Not good.

Really don't want a 2007/2012 summer. 

Would take mild and wet for a bit, quite enjoy muggy nights

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Well not a lot to say is there. Overall an OK weekend around here as it was dry and reasonably bright if not exactly sunny. Temperatures just struggling into the low teens at times. A rather grey start to the day here with the Easterly wind blowing cloud in off the North Sea.

Hopefully a bit sunnier and warmer later in the week as it's a frustrating time keeping bees when it's like this. The rape around here is flowering in some nearby fields but no sign of the bees bringing any nectar in yet as it's probably just too cool for the plants to be producing it. Wife even stuck the feeders back on the hives yesterday as the bees have built up the colonies but without a good food source we don't want them starving. If it doesn't warm up at least a bit in May, especially before the rape crops stop flowering, then early season honey production will be low or non-existent.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hubby raked moss out of the grass 10 days ago and re-seeded it.   No signs of much growth yet.   Has had to water it every day but it is just too dry and chilly  me-thinks.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Posted

Was a lovely day (after a bit of a slow start) but the low cloud (I assume it's that) has came in

Posted

Fine day here too with a soft SE wind cows and calves lying in the sun with a maximum temperature of 16c. Started cutting  domestic grasses this evening . Sold a few bales of hay today and customers were saying the grass in their paddocks has stopped growing because of drought. Cooler nights later this week will not help growth  either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fine day here too with a soft SE wind cows and calves lying in the sun with a maximum temperature of 16c. Started cutting  domestic grasses this evening . Sold a few bales of hay today and customers were saying the grass in their paddocks has stopped growing because of drought. Cooler nights later this week will not help growth  either.

Indeed. Ground is all cracked but we do have some grass.

Max of 17.6c here which is not too awful (felt cooler with the breeze)

11 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Well not a lot to say is there. Overall an OK weekend around here as it was dry and reasonably bright if not exactly sunny. Temperatures just struggling into the low teens at times. A rather grey start to the day here with the Easterly wind blowing cloud in off the North Sea.

Hopefully a bit sunnier and warmer later in the week as it's a frustrating time keeping bees when it's like this. The rape around here is flowering in some nearby fields but no sign of the bees bringing any nectar in yet as it's probably just too cool for the plants to be producing it. Wife even stuck the feeders back on the hives yesterday as the bees have built up the colonies but without a good food source we don't want them starving. If it doesn't warm up at least a bit in May, especially before the rape crops stop flowering, then early season honey production will be low or non-existent.

Can confirm rape has fully flowered in Northern England (don't grow much if any around here), I always notice how far ahead the midlands are from us in April and they're ahead of Northern England who are ahead of us and we're probably ahead of you (and so on!) haha.

Farmer was taking a first cut of silage today in Durham but don't think the difference was massive given lack of water, must surely be stunting growth.

Posted

Just read online that a farmer in Perthshire is irrigating spring barley as it is so dry. Will only be worth it if enough other spring barley is severely hit by drought  becomes very scarce at harvest  and the price / tonne  shoots up from its currently low base.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 04:53, CatchMyDrift said:

We ended up on 12.8mm of rain for April which is fairly dry. The ground is rock hard and cracked. I'm sure Mother Nature will make up for it at some point, perhaps a wet summer of the way? Having said that I'm pretty sure April is on average the driest month of the year for many parts of Scotland.

Edit: 1070mb Greenland High...

IMG_2139.thumb.PNG.3548ba00c2e34e0cda028fb7cc757d9e.PNG

And staying dry in the south, a little damp further north but nothing much for what Scotland can suffer. This is up to the 10th of May:

IMG_2140.thumb.GIF.57c0df44b5e8c5f25f57c3a6268e375f.GIF

Catch, Lets hope that this is Mother Nature making up for all the past numerous years O' wet pash! A bit warmer would be nice though as it's fekin cauld in the East wind.

Whit a treat here at the moment tae be able to walk on the park, walkways and even Fermurs Fields withoot being ankle tae knee deep in mud!

Big likin this dry withur Innes     

• Like 2

Posted

Yah, the cloud finally broke early afternoon to let the sun out and the temp get up into the low teens (not great but better than it'd been).

Posted

Another super afternoon after another exceedingly slow start. May always seems to be the best time of the year up here and so far it's not disappointing

Posted

Ground frost to start the day at 2c but turned into a fine sunny afternoon with a maximum temperature of 16c. Cattle just loving it don"t mind the cold mornings driving rain is the worst weather for them.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Hi Catch, Re the Crow/Magpie (Larsen trap)I have used these sort before and have trapped many amount as the live Crow within gives the other Crows confidence to enter. At this time of year Crows attack young Lambs/Calf's I have found Lambs in the past with there eyed pecked out by them!

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hi Catch, Re the Crow/Magpie (Larsen trap)I have used these sort before and have trapped many amount as the live Crow within gives the other Crows confidence to enter. At this time of year Crows attack young Lambs/Calf's I have found Lambs in the past with there eyed pecked out by them!

As above also the crow family also take eggs from other birds nests in the spring putting their survival   as seperate speices under threat. .

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

I might be mistaken here, but doesn't spring tend to be quite chilly a lot of the time? We'll get some spells of nice pleasant weather (and sometimes warm weather) quite early sometimes, but I seem to think we're always left waiting ages for something more reliable.

We might get sunny weather like now, but it will be cold, or it will be showery, but temps never seem to be reliable until June at least. Always really frustrating at this time of year, as I look a the brighter nights and it seems like it should be quite pleasant, but stepout in it and you still need your warm jacket.

Always laugh at the shops in Glasgow advertising their summer lines of shorts and t-shirts - you can still need a jumper here in mid-June!

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

PM ( and NL), out of real interest, how many lambs over the years have you found with eyes pecked out by crows. I'm not doubting this does happen.

6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

As above also the crow family also take eggs from other birds nests in the spring putting their survival   as seperate speices under threat. .

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/new-study-suggests-that-killing-crows-is-mostly-pointless-most-of-the-time/

This study maybe worthy of note in regard to the impact of corvid predation on other species.

Posted

Hello ciel as I do not have breeding sheep can only go on evidence from farmers who do but have seen an adult wintering sheep of ours which had  got stuck head first in a badger hole at the edge of a field had its anus attacked by crows. 

On the subject of badgers they are having an impact on lots of ground nesting birds by walking the tramlines in the spring barley taking their eggs. Numbers on this farm have probably gone up by 500% in the last 50 years  as evidenced by all the setts at the edge of the farm and the number of dead badgers on the A96.(new dual carriageway will cross 272 setts between Inverness and Nairn and report says effect on population will be negligable)along with massive increases in other predator species such as pine martin(have seen 5 playiing in pine tree at edge of wood on farm) buzzards(7 pairs been seen circling one wood at edge of farm) and foxes etc..

One potential reason for this may be the availability of extra food at the local  "Predators Macdonalds" in the form of thousands of tame pheasants in pens which are then released just prior to the shooting season with no inbuilt self preservation instincts.Have seen a pen in one of our  local woods where pine martin got in and killed 200 pheasants in one night.   By providing this extra food predator numbers are artificially high and so their effect on other species  is higher too.Numbers of hares rabbits lapwing and oyster catchers have all gone down dramatically in the last 50 years on this farm and we still have an old fashioned 7 course rotation 3 years barley. one year roots  (swedes) and 3 years grass.Final comment wild bred pheasants are  non existant !

Back to weather fine sunny start to day at 1c with ground frost.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

Slight overnight frost,  a sunny start to the day with a slight haze.  Temp 3C - no wind to speak of.

Heading off to a meeting in Banff shortly, so it should be a pleasant journey.

Posted
4 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I don't like hunting or shooting but I understand the sport/skill involved in deer hunting for example. I don't understand what sport there is in breeding hundreds of fairly stupid birds to shoot at.

I'd agree, a good deal of effort and skill must go into deer hunting, but if you want to kill a pheasant it's easier, and much cheaper, just to drive around the back roads in rural Scotland and it'll not be too long before one jumps out in front of your car.

Lovely sunny day here but at 12C and with an easterly breeze it looks warmer than it feels.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

I'd agree, a good deal of effort and skill must go into deer hunting, but if you want to kill a pheasant it's easier, and much cheaper, just to drive around the back roads in rural Scotland and it'll not be too long before one jumps out in front of your car.

Lovely sunny day here but at 12C and with an easterly breeze it looks warmer than it feels.

Thats because most pheasants in the countryside today are artificially reared with no sense of self preservation.with hundreds getting in the way of cars getting killed on the roads

A wild pheasant would hardly show itself when I was child running down rows of swedes at up to 25 miles an hour crouching low to avoid detection and eventually if forced to fly would climb dramatically upwards of a hundred feet and if it had a tail wind could reach 65 miles an hour in few seconds. Now thats a target if you can hit it.

Nowadays hundreds of tame birds are whilstled in to feed have no fear of humans and herded into fences and forced to fly, most of them only a few feet off the ground. High shots are achieved by forcing them to fly across valleys with the guns positioned in the bottom of the valley usually about a hundred feet below.

Wild hen pheasants also showed remarkable committment sitting/guarding their eggs untill a fox killed them leaving only a pile of feathers something I saw a few times as a child.

Very nice day now in spite of a fresh E wind currently 14c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Lovely day today! 18C with wall to wall sunshine and a light breeze, happy days :)

Snapchat-1313136453.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Still sunny but so far not the clear blue skies of yesterday. Bit of high cloud still lingering

Posted

Exactly what you said CMD. Started slow but brightened up the most wonderful afternoon despite the breeze making it more or less perfect

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
On 5/4/2017 at 17:28, CatchMyDrift said:

After a cloudy start it turned out very sunny this afternoon. Chilly in the breeze at 12C max.

I was cursing not having my camera with me. These pics are about a mile west of my house:

In the last pic the track on the right used to be a railway line which ran from Reston near Berwick westwards to the Leaderfoot viaduct.

Not from yesterday as I was too busy gardening, but here it is (February):

IMG_1397.jpg

Just five minutes from here and quite impressive. A familiar A68 sight.

Had an emergency BBQ yesterday and it was the first where it didn't get really too cold towards the end as the sun went down.

#earlysummer

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Yesterday was the first day here that the wind was warm and it was ok outside without a jumper.

• Like 3

Posted

Crops are appreciating the damp drizzly morning, currently 7.5c