Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
3 hours ago, Surrey said:

Rain seems to be clearing through a lot quicker than forcast but 30mm recorded over west London with more to come 

I made the mistake earlier of thinking the radar showed it clearing through nice and quickly. How really really wrong was I! Took the dog to Esher Common anyway and ended up getting drenched, believing all the while it would soon be at an end, hmmmm.... Lots of big puddles across roads, spray and generally rather hazardous driving conditions, as the conveyor belt of seemingly constant heavy rain just keeps crossing over us. Apparently the M25 in Surrey around the A3 interchange is very slow, which in the absence of any accidents is being attributed to too much water. At least the dog has nice fluffy fur now:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reefseeker said:

I made the mistake earlier of thinking the radar showed it clearing through nice and quickly. How really really wrong was I! Took the dog to Esher Common anyway and ended up getting drenched, believing all the while it would soon be at an end, hmmmm.... Lots of big puddles across roads, spray and generally rather hazardous driving conditions, as the conveyor belt of seemingly constant heavy rain just keeps crossing over us. Apparently the M25 in Surrey around the A3 interchange is very slow, which in the absence of any accidents is being attributed to too much water. At least the dog has nice fluffy fur now:)

Yeah I think earlier it was getting a hurry on, now it's just decided to put the brakes on and is slowly loosing intensity. A lot of rain fallen over a large area of the region. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well the showers that built here have now moved of to the north, or mingled with the rain depending on which side of kent. Now we await what the rain band will do when it eventually gets here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Been raining heavily and solidly since 12pm. Had to take off my shoes and barefoot paddle out of work. Was up to my ankles at that point!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

When you don't take a coat to work and you leave work to catch the bus in a torrential downpour that starts when you leave and stops when you get on the bus. 

IMG_0714.GIF.781741fa8c649dcdc82df9ba89714b22.GIF

Edited by tomp456

Posted

The area from Medway over West Malling & Kings Hill down to Sevenoaks/Tonbridge has been under the torrential rain conveyor belt since noon. Drove from West Malling to Snodland earlier and roads that usually have a little bit of flooding are flooded in a way that I have not seen before.

What a difference to yesterday when we had sunshine while Ashford was being flooded... today it's been pretty much dry there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Been raining heavily and solidly since 12pm. Had to take off my shoes and barefoot paddle out of work. Was up to my ankles at that point!

yuck, hopefully no hidden sharp objects.

Wind switched to a northerly, any idea what time the rain is supposed to turn to snow;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

yuck, hopefully no hidden sharp objects.

Wind switched to a northerly, any idea what time the rain is supposed to turn to snow;)

1800 hrs, 23.01.24?:D

Posted

Unless something strange happens, I think it will be moderate rain that comes here, as it's starting to lose strength now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Apparently Kim Jong is controlling our weather with his new HAARP machine:shok: Prepare for a snowy winter:shok:

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Apparently Kim Jong is controlling our weather with his new HAARP machine:shok: Prepare for a snowy winter:shok:

lol, bring it on.

• Like 2

Posted

The main rain is still to the south and east of London but a new pulse of moderate to heavy rain has come SW out of Norwich and is heading for the capital.

The stream from Norfolk - perhaps we can call it "The Partridge Streamer" - is showing signs of easing possibly by sunset.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Well , an interesting day I have taken my umbrella to work on Monday and Tuesday when rain was forecast on both days and where I was we didn't get a drop. So today of course my wife drops me off at the station and I wave goodbye and as she turns the corner I realise , oh fiddlesticks ( I actuallly said something else ) I've forgot my umbrella , of course 30 mins later the heavens opened and it had not relented since , I made it to work and looked like a drowned rat , however working in a supermarket I invested on a new umbrella so I have 2 now , I might keep one at work just in case a repeat scenario occurs :wallbash:.

Anyway next week I start two weeks annual leave , just travelling around England with our young family on this occasion .so I am hoping for a complete reversal in weather fortunes but apart from a slight improvement nothing great looks on the horizon, I live in hope . Hope all is well with all .

Mark

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Watching the athletics on tv now and reading the reports here and elsewhere it seems i've been incredibly lucky so far today.

It was bright sunshine all morning and up until around 2pm this afternoon when the skies really did look threatening, but delivered just light rain for half an hour. Tmax of 18.6c so not particularly warm for the time of year but it could have been far worse by all accounts.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Watching the radar today it's been notable that whilst the rain band has been doing its best to give the impression of moving south, the radar images show it's largely been raining over the same areas. I suspect that certain locations will have received a substantial amount of rain today!

(If anyone from the Met Office is reading this - I wish you had a web page that gave a 'leader board' of key measures for each day!!).

My location has largely missing the heavier bursts, so only 16.3mm so far, although the latest radar showing more yet to move through. What a foul day for early August!! :nea:

11.10 598b59db6dc7f_RadarWed09Aug11_10.thumb.jpg.47814014fc1713a06e9c5b8ca0bcd48d.jpg 13.15 598b59f27c47f_RadarWed09Aug13_15.thumb.jpg.fc0c5170585af6cabdba3b444f8b7801.jpg

19.30 598b5a099c9bf_RadarWed09Aug19_30.thumb.jpg.386cfdabd76e9459c6b89c07cfd60a31.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, Mark wheeler said:

Well , an interesting day I have taken my umbrella to work on Monday and Tuesday when rain was forecast on both days and where I was we didn't get a drop. So today of course my wife drops me off at the station and I wave goodbye and as she turns the corner I realise , oh fiddlesticks ( I actuallly said something else ) I've forgot my umbrella , of course 30 mins later the heavens opened and it had not relented since , I made it to work and looked like a drowned rat , however working in a supermarket I invested on a new umbrella so I have 2 now , I might keep one at work just in case a repeat scenario occurs :wallbash:.

Anyway next week I start two weeks annual leave , just travelling around England with our young family on this occasion .so I am hoping for a complete reversal in weather fortunes but apart from a slight improvement nothing great looks on the horizon, I live in hope . Hope all is well with all .

Mark

Hello Mark,

What yet more holiday? First Australia and now this. :oops:

Enjoy the break. Hopefully after tonight's rain and possibly heavy rain on Tuesday you could well be lucky weatherwise.

Since late morning it has been absolutely dire and more like late autumn with pulses of torrential rain interspersed with heavy rain. I had to pick my daughter in law and grandson up from Maternity this evening and had difficulty to keep them both dry on the way to the hospital pick-up point. Hopefully they will not have to return again after this latest revisit and 4 day stay.

When is the rain likely to relent? Is it set in for the night?

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Posted

Well it rained here (and still is) since just before midday and it's been heavy all day with real bursts of torrential rain! This must be close to setting a record surely? Especially for august.

Most roads are flooded, even main roads and drains have been blowing the manhole covers off. I work outside and in 10 years I've not had a day where I've been as wet as today, it really has been constant and heavy.

Hopefully i stay dry tomorrow!

• Like 1

Posted

has been raining here torrentially all day hear near Maldon everywhere is flooded.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
39 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Mark,

What yet more holiday? First Australia and now this. :oops:

Enjoy the break. Hopefully after tonight's rain and possibly heavy rain on Tuesday you could well be lucky weatherwise.

Since late morning it has been absolutely dire and more like late autumn with pulses of torrential rain interspersed with heavy rain. I had to pick my daughter in law and grandson up from Maternity this evening and had difficulty to keep them both dry on the way to the hospital pick-up point. Hopefully they will not have to return again after this latest revisit and 4 day stay.

When is the rain likely to relent? Is it set in for the night?

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave , Yes I am a lucky so and so with the holidays , it seems like so long ago that we went to Australia , the joys of having 23 years service and the holiday pay I get with it . This holiday is more for the kids touring theme parks going to castles etc . 

It hasn't relented raining here since 9am today and it's still hammering down now . I think it will be better next week but not the brilliant weather we had in May, June and early july which was brilliant here .

I read your posts in that other thread and I'm sorry to hear their where further complications I hope that all the turmoil for your family is now over and you can all enjoy having your new arrival around. When I was taken home from hospital December 1978 ( born with a collapsed lung ) there was a great blizzard that people still talk about now , perhaps that's what drives my fascination and obsession with snow and now all types of weather .

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
17 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

has been raining here torrentially all day hear near Maldon everywhere is flooded.

A warm welcome to the forum Dbarb. :)

Certainly looks very wet where you are!! Here's a tweet from Essex Weather Centre earlier this evening that reports Maldon topping the Essex charts! 

598b7473a2e05_EWCtweet.thumb.jpg.f6c4cf5fd3570b24973efb3c0c2a89c6.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Today would have been bad in winter, let alone August! Interesting from an extreme weather angle but extremely unpleasant, had to drive to and from Reading on the M4 today and it was genuinely frightening at times. Flooding on a motorway is never good! Plus the usual psycho-cretins 'driving' like maniacs. Rain clearing within the hour on radar, hopefully that'll be it for a while. Hopefully everyone stayed safe today.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3