Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
Just now, Surrey said:

Just had some really intense rain now, looks like the front is pushing further west, some flooding around for sure

an hour of torrential rain now, garden is flooding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

an hour of torrential rain now, garden is flooding

Not looking forward to this lot, on a hill, about half way up. Above me nothing but mud, grass and chalk. Some lightning strikes appearing in the kent showers now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Not looking forward to this lot, on a hill, about half way up. Above me nothing but mud, grass and chalk. Some lightning strikes appearing in the kent showers now.

mud slides:sorry:

Posted

Waiting for rain here is like waiting for snow. It doesn't happen, if it does, it's ten minutes and that's all your getting. The Far East east Anglian rain shield (more like dome if you see the radar) still intact today. Whilst I sympathise with anybody who has been flooded and wouldn't wish for it, just a few solid hours of heavy rain would be lovely. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Waiting for rain here is like waiting for snow. It doesn't happen, if it does, it's ten minutes and that's all your getting. The Far East east Anglian rain shield (more like dome if you see the radar) still intact today. Whilst I sympathise with anybody who has been flooded and wouldn't wish for it, just a few solid hours of heavy rain would be lovely. 

Since late 2012, we called it The Triangle of Doom, BB!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Typical - electrification in Kent as usual, revolting drizzle and cold wind in Norfolk :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Bog standard rain here. 

Steady, but not very heavy. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That was because we never get any snow in the triangle if i remember correctly.

Posted
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Rain seems to be clearing through a lot quicker than forcast but 30mm recorded over west London with more to come 

Not so sure about that, the southern eastern end of it hasn't really moved any further south for a while, it seems to be contracting a bit over london. In fact if anything it's moved very slightly NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

That was because we never get any snow in the triangle if i remember correctly.

Indeed JJ. But, with the noteworthy exception of this summer, we don't much of anything?:D

Edited by Ed Stone

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

Indeed JJ. But, with the noteworthy exception of this summer, we don't much of anything?:D

Usually true but i have to say i have been impressed by the number of storms this summer.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Interesting day weather wise - another pulse of heavy rain, our umpteenth, is overhead.

One of the more interesting aspects this afternoon has been to track the evolution of a chain of showers and storms over the far south east. As the main rain band crossed the river and hit North Kent and reached Tunbridge Wells at 2pm, a line of heavy showers and storms evolved from a line starting just south of Margate and paralleling the coast south west to Seaford.

They intensified in situ as the main rain band headed SW through London so you had the frontal rain, a thin dry zone from Canterbury, through Ashford to roughly Heathfield, then the narrow but intense line of storms before another dry area right on the coast from Deal to Eastbourne.

As of 3.15, however, the main storm line was now on the coast from Deal to Eastbourne (though no rain over the Dungeness spit) with the dry zone encompassing a line from Canterbury via Ashford to Robertsbridge.

To the North-West, the heaviest of the rain is now to the east and south of London with the line of heavy rain running back through Chelmsford to Colchester taking dead aim at Stodge Towers. Still more heavy rain developing over the Suffolk Coast with a second band further north so we're not done yet.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Quiet thunder here?

Possible, there was a strike in the north sea, north of Norfolk. 

Posted

Well the line of heavy stuff in kent has now lost intensity and seems to be moving slowly north away from dover :cc_confused:

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
50 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

:rofl: I shall remember that for future use. And now the stupid BBC app showing thunder storms for later! Stuff it, I'm going out with the hose to water my garden, waving my fists at the invisible shield :girl_devil:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

:rofl: I shall remember that for future use. And now the stupid BBC app showing thunder storms for later! Stuff it, I'm going out with the hose to water my garden, waving my fists at the invisible shield :girl_devil:

Dover, or at least the extreme south of it seems to have developed a shield recently.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, JennyJane1 said:

Usually true but i have to say i have been impressed by the number of storms this summer.

There have been a few around, but nothing overhead and not produced much rain. The first couple of years I lived here 2013/14 we had some cracking overnight storms and the rainfall flooded the roads here many times in the day, i watched in wonder at the neighbourhood children playing in the water wondering what the heck possessed them, apparently it's a form of entertainment in these parts. But this year not even decent puddles for the poor depraved creatures to enjoy :nea:

• Like 1

Posted

Worst day of the summer if not it's certainly up there. Nonstop rain not light either driving rain, I'm thinking of how under the right conditions in winter this would have been a snow fest.

• Like 1

Posted

How can this happen the rain band over Kent is defo heading NW in east kent, it was heading SE until a little while ago, super shield over me lol.

Posted

The Kent storms have weakened and become absorbed in the main rain band which continues to align NE-SW from Norfolk to the Isle of Wight.

The main rain band has passed to the east and south of me and is now over south Essex and the Thames Estuary and into SE London.

The rain over Kent is generally lighter but there are some remaining heavier bursts and I suspect they will get their share in the next few hours.