Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Not a good morning here - leaden grey sky with a gusty wind and raining. 12.5C at 08.00.

So what's the latest on Saturday's Storm Brian? As there's a gusty wind this morning I thought it would be an interesting comparison to look at the Arpege chart for the 'peak' of today's winds at around 07.00 this morning:

Fri 07.00 59e99f2db50e6_Arpege0zWindGustsFri20Oct07_00.thumb.png.3dec9489ae71898570460974ea31359b.png

And then compare that with the charts for Storm Brian tomorrow (Saturday):

08.0059e9a2551d87d_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct08_00.thumb.png.1e76a0c9f55b4a4e4ee0cd7899bcb135.png 12.0059e9a25bcd559_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct12_00.thumb.png.6456ef3a99920168bf405971009da036.png 16.0059e9a26236b83_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct16_00.thumb.png.4aa8703b6bdcac6d17aaf883f81bb320.png

So at 08.00 the worst winds still out west. By midday windy everywhere in our Region with gusts up to 65 kmh (40 mph) but already up to 80 kmh (50 mph) on the South Coast. By 16.00 the Region seeing the spell of strongest winds with the SE corner experiencing gusts up to 80 kmh, East Anglia up to 65 kmh, and the South Coast now up to 100 kmh (62 mph). Btw, the rain band associated with the storm passes through our Region early on Saturday leaving blustery showers as the strongest winds follow later in the day.

By midnight the worst has passed:

Sun 00.0059e9a515c59a6_Arpege0zWindGustsSun22Oct00_00.thumb.png.2b354e71564946fc108715a9121dc94c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Certainly feeling a little windy out.

My daughter woke me up at about 1:30 as she wanted a drink, the view from the kitchen window was pretty horrible. The gusts were buffeting the windows.

Posted

Good timing from Weatherquest as we were chatting about them the other day. Their take on Saturday (note - this for East Anglia). In agreement regarding strength but they're going for an earlier 'peak' of winds than Arpege:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Heat, Fog
45 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Not a good morning here - leaden grey sky with a gusty wind and raining. 12.5C at 08.00.

So what's the latest on Saturday's Storm Brian? As there's a gusty wind this morning I thought it would be an interesting comparison to look at the Arpege chart for the 'peak' of today's winds at around 07.00 this morning:

Fri 07.00 59e99f2db50e6_Arpege0zWindGustsFri20Oct07_00.thumb.png.3dec9489ae71898570460974ea31359b.png

And then compare that with the charts for Storm Brian tomorrow (Saturday):

08.0059e9a2551d87d_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct08_00.thumb.png.1e76a0c9f55b4a4e4ee0cd7899bcb135.png 12.0059e9a25bcd559_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct12_00.thumb.png.6456ef3a99920168bf405971009da036.png 16.0059e9a26236b83_Arpege0zWindGustsSat21Oct16_00.thumb.png.4aa8703b6bdcac6d17aaf883f81bb320.png

So at 08.00 the worst winds still out west. By midday windy everywhere in our Region with gusts up to 65 kmh (40 mph) but already up to 80 kmh (50 mph) on the South Coast. By 16.00 the Region seeing the spell of strongest winds with the SE corner experiencing gusts up to 80 kmh, East Anglia up to 65 kmh, and the South Coast now up to 100 kmh (62 mph). Btw, the rain band associated with the storm passes through our Region early on Saturday leaving blustery showers as the strongest winds follow later in the day.

By midnight the worst has passed:

Sun 00.0059e9a515c59a6_Arpege0zWindGustsSun22Oct00_00.thumb.png.2b354e71564946fc108715a9121dc94c.png

XCweather not really in agreement with this. It goes with 50mph gusts for SE. Not as bad as this. Who knows. The track of Brian seems to them further north and the low more flabby

9 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

It seems to have perked up since your post Luke. It's been blowing a gale down here on the South Coast for the last couple of hours with some heavy showers thrown in.

Could not believe how windy it was last night and early this morning even this far inland, was quite a loud night with rain lashing against the windows and the roar of the wind down the chimney. Still breezy now but dieing down, now we await Brian, although just looks like a typical Atlantic storm now with 50-60mph winds probs now even that inland 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Very windy overnight and this morning. I wouldn't say the dog was flying around on the end of a horizontal lead but we were pushed and buffeted around the village perimeter. Not pleasant out first thing. 

Currently:

Cloudy, 14C feels like 11C (it feels colder!)

Wind 14 gusting 24

Humidity 73%

Pressure 1007

Visibility Very good

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Been gusting in the 40s all day here. Sounds like gusts getting more frequent here now. Not sure the strength is any different yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Really feeling quite chilly tonight. First time since last winter I've contemplated putting the heating on. I will resist!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

After gusts in the mid 40's here all day, it is now absolutely dead calm. A lovely crisp air and smell of dry leaves (for the first time for ages as Monday's warmth was via humid air that smelled of Iberian wild fires).  

• Like 1

Posted

The main band of rain associated with Brian has cleared through overnight and it's now a lovely start with a clear blue sky. At the moment there's only the gentlest of breezes but no doubt that will change rapidly over the next few hours. Bournemouth has already had a gust of 46 mph. Here's the expected wind gusts at 16.00 this afternoon for East Anglia:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just had a shower/squall come through here, wind went mental heavy rain, no idea on how strong the wind was, however i think 50 would be very conservative.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

A quiet start to the arrival of Storm Brian with light winds, intermittent sunshine and showers throughout the morning.  It got windier through the early afternoon with the skies becoming more cloudier.  The winds are coming from the South West and wind's speed is at 23 mph with gusts of 27 mph.  There is a yellow weather warning for Thurrock. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Brian was never going to bring too much trouble overour region, the storm peaked well west of the UK and has steadily filled as it approached us. Just a breezy day here with a lot of low level cloud with limited sunny spells.

The pattern next week is highly amplified which could lead to proper warmth again or a cold spell if we end up on one side of a ridge or the other.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

As usual the media TV hype, 'Weather bomb' etc causes Joe public to think it's going to be a right off day. 

Its been decent here today with only 5 minutes of rain and nothing more than a standard windy day with good sunny spells.

The wind has actually dried out the ground on this afternoons dog walk over the fields.

The naming of storms (if you can call this a storm), social media etc makes things over dramatic to what would of been a standard autumn day back in the 90s. 

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 1

Posted

Here's the wind graph for my location in Suffolk. Max gust 45 mph at 13.44 (spot on what the forecasts predicted - see my post above) and the graph line showing that winds have been gusting above 35 mph from 11.00 this morning through to latest reading at 18.00. So a rather windy day here, although as others have said, nothing too out of the ordinary for autumn.

59eb88515d077_WindGraphSat21Oct.thumb.jpg.6ea2a5e5ae9604bdf6311be905db965a.jpg

But if I may point out, not everywhere has got off as lightly as this Region, so all-in-all I think the naming of the storm justified. Here's a tweet from our friend Matt Hugo at 17.55 about conditions in E Lancashire:

• Like 3

Posted

And for the record, today's leader board for wind in our neck of the woods. Interesting to see the two highest gusts occurred after 17.00.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

Here's the wind graph for my location in Suffolk. Max gust 45 mph at 13.44 (spot on what the forecasts predicted - see my post above) and the graph line showing that winds have been gusting above 35 mph from 11.00 this morning through to latest reading at 18.00. So a rather windy day here, although as others have said, nothing too out of the ordinary for autumn.

59eb88515d077_WindGraphSat21Oct.thumb.jpg.6ea2a5e5ae9604bdf6311be905db965a.jpg

But if I may point out, not everywhere has got off as lightly as this Region, so all-in-all I think the naming of the storm justified. Here's a tweet from our friend Matt Hugo at 17.55 about conditions in E Lancashire:

Hi Blessed,

Whilst that tweet does seem extreme, it's such a minuscule area on this small island.

from day one I've found the naming of Atlantic low pressure systems as 'storms' 'weather bombs' to be followed up by a name is althebetical order cringeable. 

You only have to take today as example. BBC evening news reporting in Swansea Bay Wales that storm 'brian' was not as forceful as anticipated.  (Once again social media / TV hype)

Back to the early 00 and 90s without social media and everyone reporting a twig in the road and 50mph wind gusts - is what's needed!

I mean I walked home from School in winds stronger than anything we've seen today and no one battered an eyelid. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Hi Blessed,

Whilst that tweet does seem extreme, it's such a minuscule area on this small island.

from day one I've found the naming of Atlantic low pressure systems as 'storms' 'weather bombs' to be followed up by a name is althebetical order cringeable. 

You only have to take today as example. BBC evening news reporting in Swansea Bay Wales that storm 'brian' was not as forceful as anticipated.  (Once again social media / TV hype)

Back to the early 00 and 90s without social media and everyone reporting a twig in the road and 50mph wind gusts - is what's needed!

I mean I walked home from School in winds stronger than anything we've seen today and no one battered an eyelid. 

Hi Ben. No problem - you're entitled to your views.

You're in good company not liking the naming of storms! Judging by the amount of comment on Twitter it has caused a lot of controversy and even some professionals don't like it. The Met Office even seem to have found it necessary to try and counter the negative response with a bit of positive publicity. Personally I'm in the 'like' camp as it does seem to do what it says on the tin (see below). But I don't like the way some elements of the press take it as a green light to go completely OTT with apocalyptic headlines, and I also take your point that we all managed perfectly OK before it started a couple of years back. Final thought - I wonder if part of the problem - particularly for weather enthusiasts - is that naming is down to impact on everyday human life and not any particular weather threshold being exceeded, resulting in the unexceptional becoming exceptional just because it has a name? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Well I can only speak for my location down here on the South Coast.  Here it's been a day of strong winds, very strong gusts and frequent squally showers since about midnight on Friday. Coupled with the Spring tide early afternoon it's been a lively day weather wise.

• Like 4