Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, sunnijim said:

Just along the coast from you now in Saltdean lsf..strange day to say the least.

A balmy sunny morning with tropical breezes.Red hazy sunshine,then daytime dusk.Birds going crazy thinking night is falling as street lights come on.Really can smell a sulphur smell in the air too.

Hey mate! You live there??!! I work in Rottingdean and have a few friends in Saltdean

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Really weird and foreboding looking.

D699D7A6-C896-400A-BFAF-8FED9B088F91.thumb.jpeg.dab40838c2196375c48cb99d150bde32.jpeg..

Imagine how such a sky would've made the 'ancients' feel?:shok:

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The sky is a strange colour a cross between a pale pink and a pale dirty brown but it does not appear when I took two photos with my mobile phone camera.

Strange looking sky 001.jpg

Strange looking sky 003.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
26 minutes ago, leedsnowfan said:

Taken by my son in Plumpton Sussex

IMG_20171016_151719_409.jpg

We've got something similar here now.  It has to be one of the strangest skies I've ever seen.  We're also noticing the sulphurus aroma of the forest fires.

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The sky is simultaneously the creepiest and coolest sky I've seen for a very long time, if not ever.

• Like 2

Posted

Sky getting less strange again and the breeze is increasing.

INCORRECT - it's now gone weird again.:whistling:

Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
11 minutes ago, shotski said:

Can anyone tell me what this was I spotted in the orange sky this afternoon ?? 

DD16817B-9051-4046-8FF2-AAC83E27B8CE.jpeg

It’s a Daddy Long Legs . 

DA2AF5B9-CBEC-4446-99F8-E1871E9BA9D1.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
On 10/4/2017 at 13:22, Team Squirrel said:

I have just finished my Futurelearn course on Meteorology, very interesting - I understand so much more about the weather now. As I said earlier it's free, runs for 4 weeks and repeated every so often, run bu Uni of Exeter with the RMetS and MetO if anyone fancies doing it next time around, Uni of Reading do one also. I've had to run though the final week at breakneck speed as I'm also doing a  3 week course on climate change from the Uni of Bergen which has overlapped by a few days. Quite often in the forum, people linked to Netweather articles as further reading!

Back to today, will the temp inside my flat has fallen below 20.c for the first time this autumn, the berries on the holly are red already. I know this is put down to conditions in spring and summer...but is that itself part of a bigger weather pattern I wonder?

No October Fog Index to report...yet!:D

Why is this coming up on reply to topic???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Anyways I tell you its the  Day of  the Triffids.

Posted

Afternoon all :)

One of the most interesting days weather-wise for some while.

I travelled from East Ham to Leatherhead for a meeting so my weather day was as follows:

9am: Looks like another fine and sunny day, more like summer than mid-autumn. There is a haze but the Sun is out and the temperature is rising sharply.

11.30am: Left for Leatherhead. Fine and very warm with temperatures at 23c. Slight smell of smoke in the air at Plaistow but no source.

1.20pm: Arrived at Leatherhead. Again, more smoke in the air and increasingly cloud, wind and haze.

2.45pm: During meeting, all remarked on increasing darkness - reminiscent of a summer thuinderstorm buty passed after 30 minutes to be replaced by haze.

4pm: Left for home - cooler, windier conditions but with continuing high level haze making the day seem "dark".

5.30pm: Walking home from East Ham - to the East, more gloom but to the west, increasingly bright conditions with sunshine returning creating a strange light profile.

I can now see the clearance coming from the west with a SSW'ly flow behind it.

Comments - one or two people got very excited about high temperatures and sunshine (talk of 25-26c widely) but it's often the case with such a long-fetch southerly that we pick up Saharan dust and this was magnified by the strength of Ophelia and the flow it created. Throw in some smoke from Portugal and the hopes of very high temperatures were thwarted.

Will this be the last day above 20c until next spring ? We'll see.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Taken this afternoon 

the pic makes it brighter than it was 

C720EE3F-D452-4F35-B8F0-EC04A1955338.thumb.jpeg.f69743f42cf5e17e4577b58b3b42cadf.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

We also had the red sun and strange light this afternoon. Could smell the smoke from Portugal and Spain. However, the strangest thing was the birds falling silent for over an hour. My 8 month old Lab got freaked out by it all, would only go out into the garden if I stayed close to him and kept his eyes on that extraordinary sky. He was totally confused, bless him :unknw:

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0431.JPG

Edited by Soaring Hawk
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Wow! What a day for weather enthusiasts!! It's been wonderful following the terrific posts in the Ophelia thread and (of course) this thread..... and as for the surreal skies this afternoon! :shok:

So after all the excitement I had to go for a beer (any excuse).... and then the drama continued as the sunset unfolded as me and a couple of friends sat in the beer garden.... and on the 16th October too!! :D

59e50ba3b337f_OpheliaSunset16Oct1.thumb.jpg.9a24f6fd03698c4d2c0e5d12bb3ab505.jpg59e50bad3331c_OpheliaSunset16Oct2.thumb.jpg.6822668f9f02d71c31716d43af6982f2.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Wow! What a day for weather enthusiasts!! It's been wonderful following the terrific posts in the Ophelia thread and (of course) this thread..... and as for the surreal skies this afternoon! :shok:

So after all the excitement I had to go for a beer (any excuse).... and then the drama continued as the sunset unfolded as me and a couple of friends sat in the beer garden.... and on the 16th October too!! :D

59e50ba3b337f_OpheliaSunset16Oct1.thumb.jpg.9a24f6fd03698c4d2c0e5d12bb3ab505.jpg59e50bad3331c_OpheliaSunset16Oct2.thumb.jpg.6822668f9f02d71c31716d43af6982f2.jpg

Lovely photos, Malcolm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Crawley, West Sussex, (Manor Royal) Picture adjusted for exposure, was VERY dark and orange

IMG_2237ss.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well 23C was reached in the sunnier spells until the sky got a spray tan. It really was quite a sight to behold. I did manage to get a picture before the smoke and sand cleared so got the orange sun with clear blue skies just sitting behind it. I will just have to see if I can get it off my phone of course.

Some cracking photos, it is wierd to think that in the end the chances of 25C being reached was thwarted by a strange combination of saharan dust and some wildfires over a thousand miles away.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Incredible in London today with that sky- had to pop out of the office a few times as had to experience it. Foreboding but beautiful. Reminded me of being in Cornwall in 1999 for the solar eclipse which ended up cloudy, dark and orangy! The sun before the cloud really rolled in was incredible too! Keep up the good work weather gods!

• Like 2

Posted

Mark my words folks.....the Met Office will issue a Yellow Weather Watch for Friday Night/ Saturday for our Region in the Morning......sign up to their emails and it will arrive! It will be Amber by the end of the Week as Brian arrives.....

Edited by leedsnowfan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
5 hours ago, leedsnowfan said:

Hey mate! You live there??!! I work in Rottingdean and have a few friends in Saltdean

Small world! Must be 12 years since we first chatted on the old forums.Yeah live in Saltdean now,often down in Rottingdean too and of course Brighton.

What a day of dramatic contrasts.

8am_12pm .Warm with hazy sun,tropical breeze. 22c

12-230pm.cloudier, blood red sun.

230pm-430pm. Dramatic 'voldamalt' skies and daytime dusk.Birds confused as street lights came on (not seen the like of since the 1999 eclipse)

430pm_6pm incredible sepia  coloured sky and smell of smoke.

6pm_7pm A clearance of the skies and a 'standard' sunset in fresher windier conditions

Edited by sunnijim

Posted

A few from late afternoon.

20171016_175821_002.jpg

20171016_175517.jpg

20171016_175845.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Mark wheeler said:

Just been out to get the kids on the school run and saw a blanket of orange and black cloud rolling in , amazingly some of the clouds seemed to be blue yes blue , There was also occasionally a heavily blob of rain falling , I tried to see if any dust was deposited on the cars etc but visibility isn’t that great .

Funnily enough, as I drove towards Epsom to pick up son from college, in your direction it looked black and threatening while behind me towards Kingston the skies looked much brighter. It was quite a gusty drive at times with autumn leaves decorating the bonnet and rear windscreen. I too checked for Saharan dust on the cars, but couldn't really see any - typical two days after I get a new car if the sands fall from the sky!

• Like 3

Posted

Blood sun at 2pm

20171016_143240.jpg

20171016_143230.jpg

• Like 2