Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

We've had some, been quite nice on and off. Yet again dry though.

First day it hasn't rained here for weeks! Glad you at least had sunshine. Had some at sunrise then the gloom rolled in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another gloom fest here with about 3 minutes of sunshine. Windy too, very disappointing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
On 9/20/2017 at 12:04, Team Squirrel said:

Haven't been on the Netweather forum as much these last few weeks...because I'm off learning about the weather! I didn't do geography past the age of 13 at school so I have no foundation in a learning about the earth or weather. There are so many knowledge gaps that I just wait for other forum members to explain things in simple terms and I didn't want to do that anymore, I wanted to be able to understand what terms meant and be able to read a synoptic chart. So I am currently taking FutureLearn's (part of the OU) Learn About Weather course in conjunction with Uni of Exeter, Meto and the RMetS. I love it and I now understand so many things Iike why people sulk when things look 'zonal' or what the coriolis effect is or why exactly the 'Beast from the East' is so important if you like snow. It's meant to be 3 hours a week for 4 weeks but by the time you have read all the links and worksheets, joined in the discussions and re-read the things you're struggling with, it's about ten hours a week. It runs a couple of times a year, is really easy to follow, free if you just want the course, £40 if you want permanent access to it plus a certificate -  and I'd recommend it if, like me, you love the weather but you struggle with the basics sometimes.

See you in the Model discussion forums....maybe!!! 

Does the course cover the October Fog Index:ninja:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
On 20/09/2017 at 13:34, stainesbloke said:

Warm sunny spells, my a*se :nonono:

IMG_4636.JPG

Ha ha, that made me chuckle SB! I've been at my daughter's in Rochester, Kent, this week helping her make good & decorate the 1930's house she's just moved into (don't ask....) but to get to the point, I've watched the local forecast talk of sunny spells every day, but they've never really arrived - just the odd glimpse! And the local forecaster this morning finally admitted the amounts of sunshine this week have been disappointingly below expectations!

Moving on.... back in Suffolk and the rain has just arrived. Interesting to see that yet again London appears to have sucked the moisture out of the weather front as it passes through.

19.45 59c40e42d955c_RadarThur21Sep19_45.thumb.jpg.d2f1f7da2592a5e1583092ba5ecaed2b.jpg

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Does the course cover the October Fog Index:ninja:

Hehe! We did a tiny bit on weather lore and we're doing fog next week..sadly no OFI. Tell you what I did get for a bargain couple of quid...Weather Lore by Paul J. Marriott, it's a great book where he rubbishes amount 99% of weather lore....and calls the OFI  "fiction" :shok:.

Highest scoring autumnal  weather lore stat with 66%  according to Paul is: 'There will be three windy days in mid-September, this is known to the millers are the barley winds'. Boring.

It was foggy yesterday...SFI? We still have to keep the OFi going...fiction or not!!

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
21 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Hehe! We did a tiny bit on weather lore and we're doing fog next week..sadly no OFI. Tell you what I did get for a bargain couple of quid...Weather Lore by Paul J. Marriott, it's a great book where he rubbishes amount 99% of weather lore....and calls the OFI  "fiction" :shok:.

Highest scoring autumnal  weather lore stat with 66%  according to Paul is: 'There will be three windy days in mid-September, this is known to the millers are the barley winds'. Boring.

It was foggy yesterday...SFI? We still have to keep the OFi going...fiction or not!!

FICTION:shok: throws toys out of pram and looks for new index:cray:

Posted

Had a spell of heavy rain later this afternoon, after a period of drizzle. Skies started clearing from the west just before sunset.

Posted

Happy Autumn Equinox!

Beautiful morning with the sun breaking through the mist and fog (now cleared). Not silly chilly here overnight with a min of 8.1C, but Matt on the Beeb said it got down to 2C in Bournemouth and Milton Keynes. Brrr.

Timing of rain bands going well at the moment - last night's rain has cleared into the North Sea and the next band won't arrive until this evening, so today looking pretty good. :)

07.35 59c4b423864d3_CloudFri22Sep07_35.thumb.jpg.25dbfd7211de7e95c159339f3f325d3f.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Another sunny day here, chilly at first but warming up nicely now.

Moving to Halesworth in a month or so, does that get me outside the ‘ triangle of doom ‘ area? My prediction for the first snow of the year here, the day I move! When I moved to Lowestoft in January 2013 it was in heavy snow all the way from Wolverhampton to Lowie, don’t think we’ve had snow here since! So guaranteed to be the same on next moving day :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Another sunny day here, chilly at first but warming up nicely now.

Moving to Halesworth in a month or so, does that get me outside the ‘ triangle of doom ‘ area? My prediction for the first snow of the year here, the day I move! When I moved to Lowestoft in January 2013 it was in heavy snow all the way from Wolverhampton to Lowie, don’t think we’ve had snow here since! So guaranteed to be the same on next moving day :D

Unfortunately BB, I suspect Halesworth is firmly within the ToD?

But, as you say, we've not seen lying snow survive past 10 a.m., for 5 years!:cray:

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Unfortunately BB, I suspect Halesworth is firmly within the ToD?

But, as you say, we've not seen lying snow survive past 10 a.m., for 5 years!:cray:

This winter will be the heaviest and longest lasting snowfall the ToD has ever seen, as I need to be driving country roads to get to the A12 twice daily to get my son to/from school in lowestoft.......put your bets on now :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Days like this are a rarity not a cloud in the sky beautiful stuff. :) 

Absolute stunner Daniel. And to put icing on the cake, a wonderful sunset here in Suffolk as the advancing front introduces some cloud this evening. :)

59c559e6796fb_Sunset22Sept.thumb.jpg.860ec71f7229cb110cdb49b57c2013bf.jpg

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Finally, a sunny day! Very nice indeed.

• Like 1

Posted
22 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Days like this are a rarity not a cloud in the sky beautiful stuff. :) 

Shame londoners will have to pay a sun tax soon if the Cons have their way:cray:

Posted

Well today was disappointing in my location with lots of cloud and a high of only 16.7C, so below average for this time of year. But obviously it wasn't the same everywhere - here's the Met Office leader board:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
41 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Morning gang, 

Could be some torrential rain tonight... Didn't see that coming 

I don't mind as long as it waits till tonight. Looks a nice day for now.

15062396327721430875367.jpg

15062396707191791355106.jpg

• Like 1