Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Dodged the rain most of the day here but as we sat down half an hour ago to what we hoped would be a nice campfire, the stupid rain started and it's going for it now. What a hellhole the UK is sometimes. 

Feeling for you stainesbloke! This week last year saw the hottest day of the year.

This really is unseasonably cool - today it only managed 13.4C max here (wet too) and tonight the Met Office are talking of groundfrost with temps down to 3C in rural areas. Ironically the current pattern and rainfall might well have given lots of snow if it were January! Just to put today into perspective, if we take the Met Office long-term stats for Cambridge in Sept, the mean daily high is 20C and the mean overnight min is 10C.

Met Off for tonight: 59bd7b63b5557_BBCMetOffforSun17Sepdawn.thumb.jpg.7c3f1d4613c4e7937451d68dd364a1c0.jpg Cambrige stats: 59bd7b70acd09_CambridgeDailyMeanMinMax.thumb.png.ad662d0e8a94fabbbb05529e2263b9e7.png

Met Office Cambridge stats: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional-climates/ee#temperature

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
8 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Feeling for you stainesbloke! This week last year saw the hottest day of the year.

This really is unseasonably cool - today it only managed 13.4C max here (wet too) and tonight the Met Office are talking of groundfrost with temps down to 3C in rural areas. Ironically the current pattern and rainfall might well have given lots of snow if it were January! Just to put today into perspective, if we take the Met Office long-term stats for Cambridge in Sept, the mean daily high is 20C and the mean overnight min is 10C.

Met Off for tonight: 59bd7b63b5557_BBCMetOffforSun17Sepdawn.thumb.jpg.7c3f1d4613c4e7937451d68dd364a1c0.jpg Cambrige stats: 59bd7b70acd09_CambridgeDailyMeanMinMax.thumb.png.ad662d0e8a94fabbbb05529e2263b9e7.png

Met Office Cambridge stats: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional-climates/ee#temperature

Indeed, Malcolm ; it's more like late October than mid-September at present.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
57 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I suppose we were due a cooler, more unsettled September after recent years. The coolness is a bit disappointing but not too much of a drama. It's the daily rainfall, be it frontal or convective, that's annoying me more. Everything is looking very green though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

I suppose we were due a cooler, more unsettled September after recent years. The coolness is a bit disappointing but not too much of a drama. It's the daily rainfall, be it frontal or convective, that's annoying me more. Everything is looking very green though.

Not getting much here and the river is still very low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Not getting much here and the river is still very low.

Strange? Has your area missed much of the rainfall? I've not seen everything so green at this time of year for years. Rivers are all quite high, soil is damp or wet, quite muddy in areas. Feels more like late October than mid September. Wonder if we'll get a winter this year?

Posted
45 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Strange? Has your area missed much of the rainfall? I've not seen everything so green at this time of year for years. Rivers are all quite high, soil is damp or wet, quite muddy in areas. Feels more like late October than mid September. Wonder if we'll get a winter this year?

Getting the bands of rain which are very light drizzle but the storms and showers have been missing completely. Apart from one which was very lp. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

On the way back to Chatteris we got caught in an almighty hail storm on the A14 just north of Cambridge, marble sized hail coming down at a torrential rate which slowed the traffic down to around 20mph with the road surface turning into a river. This seemed to be a regular occurance across the region over the past week or so. Some cracking cloudscapes again today and tomorrow looks like a repeat.

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a heavy hail shower just passed over, some very convective skies building.

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

Quite a heavy hail shower just passed over, some very convective skies building.

Did you get that sudden torrential downpour last night around 10-11pm-ish? We got it with a flash of lightning and some thunder thrown in. You are right, all is very green, the lawn in growing enthusiastically and there are some amazing cloudscapes this past week or two, as @Captain Shortwave mentioned. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It's actually really chilly this evening. I don't like it :cold:

Posted
12 hours ago, Lauren said:

It's actually really chilly this evening. I don't like it :cold:

Its not that bad, not even using heating yet here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

I caught my Mrs turning it up last night from the normal 20c to 21c (she is a right wimp for cold), we have our heating on 24/7 365 days a year.

It's on a thermostat without any timers set, so if it drops below the set temperature then on comes the heating. I have heard it kick on a few times this month, but only for short periods as it doesn't take it long to heat the house 1 or 2 degrees. up stairs is cooler as the thermostatic rad valves are set at 18c, so only downstairs is normally 20c.

Posted

Another nice sunny dry day yesterday, not had the showers in this corner.

Will try and get a pic of how low the river is later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Been grey for a fair few days here!

Inspired me to pop back and get my signature ready for the coming seasons!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Another nice sunny dry day yesterday, not had the showers in this corner.

Will try and get a pic of how low the river is later.

Hello Alexis,

You were very lucky. We had a really heavy couple of showers yesterday afternoon. Today is cold and dull, almost November like.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
3 hours ago, claret047 said:

Hello Alexis,

You were very lucky. We had a really heavy couple of showers yesterday afternoon. Today is cold and dull, almost November like.

Kind Regards

Dave

Re my earlier post, the sun at last came out about 13.00 hours and been in and out ever since. It is certainly a lot more pleasant now.

Posted
4 hours ago, claret047 said:

Hello Alexis,

Kind Regards

Dave

Wow its been quite sunny here till now. Its starting to fill but some sunny spells still about.

Posted

Some very pleasant sunny spells today with light winds. Temperatures still a good few degrees below average though, a feature of this month. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Its hammering it down out there, so much for the light rain forecast by the bbc! 

Posted

Haven't been on the Netweather forum as much these last few weeks...because I'm off learning about the weather! I didn't do geography past the age of 13 at school so I have no foundation in a learning about the earth or weather. There are so many knowledge gaps that I just wait for other forum members to explain things in simple terms and I didn't want to do that anymore, I wanted to be able to understand what terms meant and be able to read a synoptic chart. So I am currently taking FutureLearn's (part of the OU) Learn About Weather course in conjunction with Uni of Exeter, Meto and the RMetS. I love it and I now understand so many things Iike why people sulk when things look 'zonal' or what the coriolis effect is or why exactly the 'Beast from the East' is so important if you like snow. It's meant to be 3 hours a week for 4 weeks but by the time you have read all the links and worksheets, joined in the discussions and re-read the things you're struggling with, it's about ten hours a week. It runs a couple of times a year, is really easy to follow, free if you just want the course, £40 if you want permanent access to it plus a certificate -  and I'd recommend it if, like me, you love the weather but you struggle with the basics sometimes.

See you in the Model discussion forums....maybe!!! 

• Like 4

Posted

Warm sunny spells, my a*se :nonono:

IMG_4636.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Warm sunny spells, my a*se :nonono:

IMG_4636.JPG

We've had some, been quite nice on and off. Yet again dry though.