Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Blazerblue said:

It's too dark to see a rainbow, had some nice heavy rain, lightening gone south now though.

Not Southwold again?:D

Posted
23 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Get ready, all you peeps in Lowestoft - a beautiful double rainbow could be heading in your direction...:good:

And the lightning, of course...

After my last reply, I took a peek out the back door and lo n behold......

IMG_1284.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Still seeing some fantastic lightning!

Goodness me, BB - that's two accurate forecasts in one day: not only did I tell my grandson to watch out for evening T&L, I told you guys to look for a double rainbow...If only it worked with snow, I'd be quids in!:oops:

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

Lottery numbers would be nice too :D

Sorry BB, no can do - you need visit the Seasonal Forecast Thread for that kind of clairvoyance!:D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Could have sworn I saw a lightning flash to the north or north west about 10-20 minutes ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

And the radar showing why Blazerblue and Ed Stone have been so enjoying their evening!! :good:

19.35 59b2e83a56828_RadarFri08Sep19_35.thumb.jpg.25a3669dc624dac078bddfa52acae3b7.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.
10 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

And the radar showing why Blazerblue and Ed Stone have been so enjoying their evening!! :good:

19.35 59b2e83a56828_RadarFri08Sep19_35.thumb.jpg.25a3669dc624dac078bddfa52acae3b7.jpg

Meanwhile down here on the south coast its been a continuous stream of torrential downpours since about midday. 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, SenlacJack said:

Meanwhile down here on the south coast its been a continuous stream of torrential downpours since about midday. 

That's been an incredible line of persistent showers that have lasted some hours SJ. Looking at the NMM high res model mean wind chart I reckon there's been a line of convergence as the WNW wind blew between Dartmoor and Exmoor and met with the WSW winds that have swung round the Devon/Cornwall peninsula. I've circled the NMM 18.00 chart to show where the winds converge:

59b2f2981ae1f_NMMMeanWindFri08Sep18.00marked.thumb.png.dfd1c397e03b30d22ac2630cfffdfb8c.png

• Like 1

Posted

Now that has got to be one of the prettiest radar image I've seen in a long time - speckled Britain!! And a few decent storms heading in our direction too. :D

14.15 59b3ed5a00b9f_RadarSat09Sep14_15.thumb.jpg.8f501f9ba33b38de1875c27332e8c926.jpg 59b3ee141ec0b_LightningSat09Sep14_25.thumb.jpg.062f2dc173fa122d44f999a584a7a194.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

had a crack here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

2 thunderstorms here today! Hail, torrential rain too. 

• Like 1

Posted

Chilly overnight, but the min of 7.5C was reached at 02.00 before fog then developed and the temp climbed back to around 9C. Visibility was approx 300 metres earlier but the fog has now lifted and there's the first signs of the sun breaking through.

Should be a usable day here near the East coast, with the rain not arriving until this evening. So I plan to move a logpile into my new woodstore ready for the..... sshh - don't tell Sidney.... bitter winter ahead! :)

• Like 1

Morning gang, 

Been very busy this week, was nice to see a thunderstorm yesterday and some sharp showers. 

Going to get quite windy today and over night can't rule out a 50mph gust along exposed parts of the south coast.. A wet too. 

Then we need to see what happens Tuesday/Wednesday as that could become the first named storm if it continues to modeled as it is 

Posted

Autumn is not disappointing by being Autumnal thus far this is the worst September I can recall for a fair long time. Not a good day to have your birthday on this year, last year it was hot and sweltering just wonderful you couldn't get anything further apart this year. :( 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Autumn is not disappointing by being Autumnal thus far this is the worst September I can recall for a fair long time. Not a good day to have your birthday on this year, last year it was hot and sweltering just wonderful you couldn't get anything further apart this year. :( 

A belated Happy Birthday to you Daniel. :)

I agree with your comment about this Autumn - this cool, wet and windy weather is feeling quite different to the last several years. The other year we had record breaking warmth in the Arctic and with a slack temperature gradient it took until November to see the first named storm of the season. This year the cold is building earlier and is helping fuel a vigorous Atlantic - I don't think we'll be waiting so long this year to see the first named storm which will be called 'Aileen'.

Today with strong winds we've got plenty of 'streaky' showers about! (I love how the high res models show heavy showers in strong winds as 'streaks'):

Arome 16.00 59b6357e3801a_AromePrecipMon11Sep16_00.thumb.png.4a889c2ef585ca85c9eee6cefdcddcb0.png

And then we've got very strong winds expected in the wee small hours of Weds as another Low barrels in. Current thoughts from a couple of models:

Weds 02.00 Arpege 59b6376651ba8_ArpegeGustsWed13Sep02_00.thumb.png.03b62163ccd86fa84e38d347434619eb.png NMM 59b6377b0a4ea_NMMMaxGustWed13Sep02_00.thumb.png.703aa2414839fb1e3047e01fe9f14dae.png

• Thanks 1